does anyone here not use social media at all

oali24

I don't have tiktok, twitter, intagram or anything like that, I only have whatsapp and that's only because my family forced me to, is anyone else here in this kind of posititon?

16 minutes ago, oali24 said:

I don't have tiktok, twitter, intagram or anything like that, I only have whatsapp and that's only because my family forced me to, is anyone else here in this kind of posititon?

Depends, does owning an account using a burner email just to enter giveaways back when GPUpocalypse was happening counts as using?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

It depends on what you count as "social media." I'll browse reddit and sometimes post/reply there. I also watch YouTube, although I basically never leave a comment.

But as for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., no, I don't use any of it. I still have a Facebook account, but I only go on it if someone I know messages me or tells me in person that they tried to get a hold of me on Facebook or that someone posted something about me. Otherwise, I never use it.

You are pretty active on OffTopic, that kinda counts as a social media no? 

I don't see a difference showing of the new watch you purchased on Instagram or on this forum tbh.

But yeah I have social media, not really active on it, but I have it. Used to post a ton of status updates here too, not anymore.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

18 minutes ago, oali24 said:

Me.  I have a Facebook account, but don't use it.  No TikTok, no Insta, no SnapSex (or Chat as they call it), etc.

I don't have FOMO, and can control my insecurities fairly well.  I also don't hyperventilate if my phone is more than 5 feet from me.  Nor do I interrupt a conversation to check the latest text that came in.

People are weak, phones showcase it very well.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You are pretty active on OffTopic, that kinda counts as a social media no? 

I don't see a difference showing of the new watch you purchased on Instagram or on this forum tbh.

But yeah I have social media, not really active on it, but I have it. Used to post a ton of status updates here too, not anymore.

i mean, I feel like forums don't really count because their simple, no algorithms, no personalisation, to me its not the big tech social media that tries to addict you and collect every last bit of data they can.

9 minutes ago, oali24 said:

i mean, I feel like forums don't really count because their simple, no algorithms, no personalisation, to me its not the big tech social media that tries to addict you and collect every last bit of data they can.

Forums are as close as I get. No facebook, twitter, etc.

57 minutes ago, oali24 said:

Rookie.

I only have Signal and Skype.  WhatsApp is still Meta fucking with you.  I'll remind you that when the FBI subpoena'd Signal for user on an info--Signal complied in the most epic way possible.  They gave literally everything they had.

-Account number registered by the user

-Date the account was created

-Date the account was last used

That's all they have.

8 minutes ago, IPD said:

Rookie.

I only have Signal and Skype.  WhatsApp is still Meta fucking with you.

yeah I know, I use signal and telegram, my family forced me to install whatsapp, but even they have stopped using it for calling and now use signal.

8 minutes ago, IPD said:

-Account number registered by the user

-Date the account was created

-Date the account was last used

That's all they have.

yeah I heard of that.

More or less like you, though the definition of "social network" is a little muddy. Is youtube a social network? What about this forum or discord?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I do have a twitter, but it's literally only there as dumping ground for my art. Otherwise I don't interact with anything else on it. 

That's the only thing I have that could be clarified as social media

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I don't use any.  I know for a fact my Twitter and Facebook have been deleted as i waited the 30-45 days without logging in.  there may be an Instagram with my name on it?  but not used or installed it for years at this point.  I guess if you still count YouTube as social media i have a couple of channels on there (one for consumption one for creation) but that's it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

depends what you definition of "use" is.
I don't post on the typical social media at all (not anymore anyway). But I do have a few accounts.
A facebook account because it's needed for some stuff.
A twitter account because it's also needed for some stuff...

A TikTok account just to watch quick dumb videos and waste time, never to actually post anything on there myself.
Youtube is technically a "social media", too, but I also don't post videos, only watching and posting the random comments that I never check back again to see if some replied (notifications disabled and everything)

Then there's forums like this one, that could be considered a type of social media.

That said, out of everything, I only have TikTok and Vanced(youtube) installed on my phone. No Facebook, No Twitter, No insta, no nothing else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

I do have a twitter, but it's literally only there as dumping ground for my art. Otherwise I don't interact with anything else on it. 

That's the only thing I have that could be clarified as social media

yeah I think I've made a twitter account 3 times and deleted all them soon after, the last time was just to reply to like two posts by a youtuber.

Well, LTT forum is a type of social platform, so... Well, if you use this platform then you're using social media. Media is a broad term, it can be music, video, pictures and texts (like this forum). Basically, anything that can be seen or can be heard is consider a media.

But if you're saying like Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, maybe yes, but do bear in mind that Deviant Art, Youtube, Pixiv and other websites do contain social elements in it where you're interacting with people, be it either content creators, other people that happens to be there, messages leave by other people and so on.

So... Hard to answer your question in this case.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I dont really use social media. I mean, I have a facebook but rearely ever on it. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Alternative title: "Competition - Who on this forum is the most antisocial".

These threads always develop into a competition where people try to be the least social or most against social media.

Soon you'll have people trying to one-up each other by pointing out that "technically, X that you use is also social media and I don't use that" and people talking about how superior they are to others because they don't use social media. Or you'll have people defending their use of platform X because "it's not social media because I hate social media but platform X is cool and that's why I use it", because using something labelled as "social media" is a sin.

12 hours ago, oali24 said:

Me. 

And I do not consider WhatsApp social Media. It just has replaced any type of texting in Germany. 

As pointed out before, this forum could be counted as social media. I personally mean the usual offenders like Facebook when using this terminology, the ones revolving around presenting yourself etc. ... The toxic ones. I don't judge people using it, heck I did it, but I left for mental health reasons and can only recommend it.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

These threads always develop into a competition where people try to be the least social or most against social media.

Soon you'll have people trying to one-up each other by pointing out that "technically, X that you use is also social media and I don't use that" and people talking about how superior they are to others because they don't use social media. Or you'll have people defending their use of platform X because "it's not social media because I hate social media but platform X is cool and that's why I use it", because using something labelled as "social media" is a sin.

Alternate idea:

Let's have remedial training on the difference between being "Asocial" and "Antisocial"--since so many people seem to be unable to tell the difference.

Additionally, maybe it's not a contest to measure e-peen, but rather a sign of people who value their own privacy and whose own behaviors and critiques offered to others with reduced online presence--should be viewed as constructively healthy.

Probably the closest thing to social media i use is this forum. So basically no.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Let's have remedial training on the difference between being "Asocial" and "Antisocial"--since so many people seem to be unable to tell the difference.

I would agree with you, except some people in this thread, which is not that long, is already showing very clear signs of being antisocial, not just asocial.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Additionally, maybe it's not a contest to measure e-peen, but rather a sign of people who value their own privacy and whose own behaviors and critiques offered to others with reduced online presence--should be viewed as constructively healthy.

Except we all know that it is an e-peen measurement content. Maybe some people will not take it as such, but a lot of people will. They always do.

I also don't think it is constrictive to yell at others for using X when Y is clearly more privacy focused, because you need to use whichever platform your associates use.

Saying Signal is more privacy focused than WhatsApp won't actually help anyone. It is not constrictive criticism because it is not like whoever gets that "constrictive criticism" can actually change. The people they contact are already on WhatsApp, so that's what they have to use in order to stay in contact. The natural evolution of this conversation will just end with "well in that case maybe they should cut ties with that person if they don't want to use Signal", which again goes back to the whole asocial or anti-social part.

I've seen this type of thread popup like 10 times already, and it always devolves into this. Because realistically, what else is there to discuss? It either becomes a "list thread" where people just list what they use or don't use and nobody reads it because what else is there to say?

Or it becomes a thread where people try and measure their e-peens and tells other how bad the stuff someone else use and how much better the stuff they use is.

Any "constrictive criticism" will just be:

1) "Just convince your circle of friends to change from a well-established means of communication to this other one for reason they don't care about".

2) "Stop talking to those people, it's not worth it".

3) "This thing I use is better than what you use".

I also think limiting social media usage is a good thing for peoples' mental health. I also am somewhat of a privacy advocate and would like to see a decrease in data harvesting.

But I don't see the point in telling everyone "hey, I don't use Twitter!" and then patting myself on the back. It just becomes a circle jerk.

Only Facebook.

Edit: ah, Discord also. Nothing else comes to mind though.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I'm not competing, or caring, about social media.

I DO find it rude and a weakness of people to be so absorbed into online content and their texting vs real life things.  To sit sequestered in your bedroom on your phone for 12 hours a day and foregoing ANY social interactions in the real world, like being able to shop, go to stores, 

Social media is a fucked up place with everyone filtering, competing, lying, etc to look better than everyone else.  You do it I bet.  How many selfies to do you take before you post it?  And why do you post it?  Why do you all have to take selfies in public, at places that mean nothing?  Why do you film everything yet DO NOTHING?  

Yeah, social media is just an outlet for people to be people.  Biggest problem facing our planet is people.  We fucking suck.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi