LTT made the news in Finland re: Oura-gate

Kelkka

Are they a Finnish company? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Are they a Finnish company? 

Made of from ex-Nokia engineers and software developers AFAIK.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Kelkka said:

They are. 

I guess that's why it makes news there and not here, though it still surprises me.

34 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ahhh that would explain the excellent design and attention to detail.

Though I'm still upset they abandoned the flagship market.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

30 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Well that explains. The few of those I knew back in when MeeGo wasn't officially out went batshit crazy every time you made a joke about it being named in honor to the most loved Star Wars character Jar Jar Binks, like seriously batshit crazy, after one joke about the name and they went on to well over hour long rants how great it is and it is awful to joke around it... Later they worked on Sailfish OS and oh boy the fun I had calling it Failfish OS just to have fun with them and I can't forget the (W)HERE maps in it's infancy when they had problems getting GPS data work with Android. And don't get me wrong, stuff they did was amazing and great, they just could have asked someone about the marketing and grow a bit thicker skin when someone made fun of them.

As a Finn I need to clarify that out side of Oura, no one calls it Oura, it's pretty much even impossible for a single Finn to call it "Aura" or whatever else they want to call it but can't spell it. I don't know what the skid mark over the O is supposed to be, it's nothing Finnish, apparently something from Japanese and even in there it's just longer O without anything to do with A. I don't know did they try some linguistic acrobatics that... Well, this is Finnish English:

And that is pretty common. The "Rally English" is in our blood and that most likely won't change, ever.

16 hours ago, Kelkka said:

https://www.hs.fi/visio/art-2000009114112.html

Linus managed to make the news in Finland after the WAN-show discussion about the Oura-ring misspelling. The article is basically saying Oura messed up with their reaction. 

Ah, Hello there sled
Just saw the same article 
(https://www.hs.fi/visio/art-2000009114112.html)
The Oura is A Finnish company, based out of Oulu. And based on the HS Visio article, their name was combination of Ora, the Japanese word for gold, and Oulu.
image.png.aa6063c67919333ed0795d5566a1f802.png
And that is how they would write that name, based on their website
But to the Juicy parts, whcih I did not really find well covered in Linus and Luke's Wan show
This is my direct translation, which may include some mistakes, so please let me know. I will, off course correct it
(co-operation) is my addition, I think it gets the message accross more clearly

Oura's leadership declined HS vision request for an interview. The company provided only a written statement through their Finnish communication partner.
"We appriciate our (co-operation) partners and we are big fans of Linus Tech Tips. We always have clear and broad guidance on partnership content. In this partnership, the criteria of our guidance were not fulfilled. We asked our partner to make reasonable changes, which regrettably we did not get. We are dissapointed at the final result, but we still are their fans and follow their content.
End of statement
And interestingly, a little bit later it covers how the name was picked, but I compressed it earlier.
The article ends with a comment from a economics professor saying that it would probably have been better to accept that this happened, and take it with humor. 
"A video made as a joke, where they provide a guide how it should have been pronounced, would have most likely multiplied to amount of recognition and viewership the content got".
And I would say this were the more critical parts. And I did all the translation by hand, not with google translate, since with that you cannot be sure of anything going between FInnish and English.

15 hours ago, FinOxy said:

The Oura is A Finnish company, based out of Oulu. And based on the HS Visio article, their name was combination of Ora, the Japanese word for gold, and Oulu.
image.png.aa6063c67919333ed0795d5566a1f802.png
And that is how they would write that name, based on their website

Well, no.

Based on their website they write it as Oura. Ōura only appears as their logo and subsequently all instances where it's used as an image, while the rest of their website writes it without the diacritical mark.

For an intents and purposes, they call themselves Oura while Ōura is simply a logo and a stylized named. It's basically Fant4stic and Se7en.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

Though I'm still upset they abandoned the flagship market.

Microsoft put pay to that no doubt.  If it wasn't making money no need to keep them around

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, SimplyChunk said:

Microsoft put pay to that no doubt.  If it wasn't making money no need to keep them around

Mmm I don't think so. They had the Nokia 9. They just gave up after it was more-or-less a flop. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 10/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, saint_louis_bagels said:

Well, no.

Based on their website they write it as Oura. Ōura only appears as their logo and subsequently all instances where it's used as an image, while the rest of their website writes it without the diacritical mark.

For an intents and purposes, they call themselves Oura while Ōura is simply a logo and a stylized named. It's basically Fant4stic and Se7en.

Allright, I should have done more research, sorry about that
Basicly, If it would be  Ōura, that would be a stylized version of öyra
And it s also quite close to the name of Aura, which might refer to a river, a brand of mustard,(or to) type of blue cheese, (etc).
I would not pronounce it as aura, but I am used to the Finnish O, and can understand its issues

So this explains why the video was taken down I guess?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm really surprised they didn't supply a press kit with the correct pronunciation, etc.  That seems like a normal thing for a company to do, right?

Of course, it's possible they did and Linus didn't read it...  "Trust me, Broura".

3 hours ago, FinOxy said:

type of blue cheese.

I'm now going to imagine the rings they make as being filled with Blue Cheese, so you can be guaranteed, if I see someone wearing one in public, I will start loling right then and there.

❤️ Fins. You guys breed the nutters when it comes to rally racing. 😄

I think I've learned more about language in this thread than I did in all of High School.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:48 PM, Thaldor said:

And don't get me wrong, stuff they did was amazing and great, they just could have asked someone about the marketing and grow a bit thicker skin when someone made fun of them.

They should have gone the Yum Foods! way, where they turn an 'oopsie' into a funny Meme, generate positive public sentiment, and turn a bad situation into a good one. I very much agree, they need to find someone with PR/marketing specializations, get them onboard, and listen to what they say.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

34 minutes ago, Sarra said:

They should have gone the Yum Foods! way, where they turn an 'oopsie' into a funny Meme, generate positive public sentiment, and turn a bad situation into a good one. I very much agree, they need to find someone with PR/marketing specializations, get them onboard, and listen to what they say.

Yup, had they made a video reacting to Linus mispronouncing it multiple times and followed by providing the correct pronunciation, it would've been better for sure. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro