4090, What Physical Stores Will Have Them, How Much After Launch Day Will They Cost on the Open Market?

Yoshi Moshi

I was wondering. Are there any confirmed  physical stores (not online shopping) that will have the 4090 on launch date? Or is this still unknown at this time? Hopefully I can get a pre-order, but I assume it will be like last time with the 3000 series and the the bots will buy all the pre-orders the very second they are released.  So I don't have high hopes, and my only chance of getting one on launch date is in person.  I presume at least microcenter will have them?  It would also be nice if Best Buy had them, because the closest microcenter to me is about a two hour drive, while the closest best buy is about 20 minutes or so.

How much are these cards expected to go for on like ebay by all the people who didn't get one? I remember the 3090s going for more than double purchase price. I remember people camping out for over a week for the 3090.

Please let me know, and thanks.

Short answer? We don't know.

Long answer? I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know how launch is going to go.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Ask again on launch day

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

16 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

I was wondering. Are there any confirmed  physical stores (not online shopping) that will have the 4090 on launch date? Or is this still unknown at this time? Hopefully I can get a pre-order, but I assume it will be like last time with the 3000 series and the the bots will buy all the pre-orders the very second they are released.  So I don't have high hopes, and my only chance of getting one on launch date is in person.  I presume at least microcenter will have them?  It would also be nice if Best Buy had them, because the closest microcenter to me is about a two hour drive, while the closest best buy is about 20 minutes or so.

How much are these cards expected to go for on like ebay by all the people who didn't get one? I remember the 3090s going for more than double purchase price. I remember people camping out for over a week for the 3090.

Your not going to be able to get a pre-order. You will more then likely also not be able to buy in person, if you havent learned anything from all these launches, its just not worth your time and effort nor sanity. You dont need it right away, if you can order one online great, do that, but dont waste your time in person. Especially with how this was handled last time, a lot of these companies will not let that happen  again. Its gonna be less then 20-30 per store on launch day for the vast majority of stores, NVidia does not want to over stock them due to trying to clear out 3000 stock. If you can wait a few weeks to a month, it will be worth it.

apparently i have heard from a microcenter in the states that they will have cards in store physically

best buy when i asked said they still don't know yet

anybody else plannign on camping out, is there reports of lines yet?

On 9/29/2022 at 8:12 PM, Shimejii said:

Your not going to be able to get a pre-order. You will more then likely also not be able to buy in person, if you havent learned anything from all these launches, its just not worth your time and effort nor sanity. You dont need it right away, if you can order one online great, do that, but dont waste your time in person. Especially with how this was handled last time, a lot of these companies will not let that happen  again. Its gonna be less then 20-30 per store on launch day for the vast majority of stores, NVidia does not want to over stock them due to trying to clear out 3000 stock. If you can wait a few weeks to a month, it will be worth it.

I dropped by MC about 5 times in the middle of the day (no waiting in line) and about a month later got my 3080.  It did however get much worse after mining ramped up.  There was a time I tried go get a 3090 as well and gave up.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

3 minutes ago, ewitte said:

I dropped by MC about 5 times in the middle of the day (no waiting in line) and about a month later got my 3080.  It did however get much worse after mining ramped up.  There was a time I tried go get a 3090 as well and gave up.

Lol I'm surprised there aren't lines already forming

4 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Lol I'm surprised there aren't lines already forming

This launch has less interest and data shows its possible higher availability.  I doubt there will be lines after 2-3 restocks.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

2 minutes ago, ewitte said:

This launch has less interest and data shows its possible higher availability.  I doubt there will be lines after 2-3 restocks.

Where did you get the higher availability information? I was expecting 10-20 at my microcenter. For the 3090 there was 10. But good news that you got some availability information!  I'm expecting less demand because of mining.

Anyone know if Best Buy will have them in store physically?

On 9/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, Yoshi Moshi said:

It depends on if nVidia and their partners as well as the retailers choose to sell to scalpers again rather than the actual end users.  If they prioritize online over physical store, then they are selling to scalpers not you.

7 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

Where did you get the higher availability information? I was expecting 10-20 at my microcenter. For the 3090 there was 10. But good news that you got some availability information!  I'm expecting less demand because of mining.

Anyone know if Best Buy will have them in store physically?

From the reports that TSMC is holding Nvidia to their orders plus we have seen it popping up more than past launches.  This is the first time ever one was purchased on the open market before launch.  There have been a LOT of yt videos showing that availability is at least much better than it usually is and they started shipping like a month ago..  4080/"4080 12GB" may be much more limited.

1 minute ago, BRZ_JaCo said:

It depends on if nVidia and their partners as well as the retailers choose to sell to scalpers again rather than the actual end users.  If they prioritize online over physical store, then they are selling to scalpers not you.

Scalpers are going to get burned if they want to do this with these cards...

1 minute ago, ewitte said:

Scalpers are going to get burned if they want to do this with these cards...

You think that people won't to pay 200-300 more for these than MSRP, when people have been paying $500-$1000 more than MSRP for the last 2 years?  Scalpers only have to clear cost, shipping, taxes, and fees; then the rest if profit.  The entirety of the previous shortages of graphics cards was artificially created by restricting them all to Online Only purchases.  Products which were sold in physical stores quickly normalized, while ones which were sold online only dramatically increased the length of the shortages while increasing scalper prices.  It was only after, all the retailers and manufacturers doubled down on online only sales after knowing what the scalpers were doing to buy them up that the prices skyrocketed.

Same thing here.  If they sell primarily online, then the scalpers will get the overwhelming majority of the cards.  They will be marked up by $300-$400, maybe more; and the scalpers likely won't take less than $200-$250 over the MSRP.

Had they simply split the 30-series cards so at least 25%-30% were sent to physical stores, then the scalpers would have only bought out the first or second wave of the production (and only that going to online only sales) rather than them doing it for well over a year.

33 minutes ago, ewitte said:

From the reports that TSMC is holding Nvidia to their orders plus we have seen it popping up more than past launches.  This is the first time ever one was purchased on the open market before launch.  4080/"4080 12GB" may be much more limited.

The marketing behind the 40-series is only popping up more in the media this time because the 30-series cards (and the AMD equivalents) have been incredibly scarce compared to all previous generations.  That is the sole reason why talk of the 40-series as well AMD's new card has been in the news far more.

First time one was purchased on the open market before launch, that's a laugh.  That has happened like every launch ever.  Someone always buys one from someone earlier than they are supposed to.

The 4080 12GB is the new equivalent of the 3080.  The 4080 16GB is the new equivalent of the 3080 Ti.  The 4090 is the equivalent of the 3090, and it will likely eventually be changed to be the 4090 24GB with the rumored 48GB card being a 4090 48GB that will be the equivalent to the 3090 Ti.  Using the amount of VRAM is a much better way to differentiate them than an arbitrary suffix.

19 minutes ago, BRZ_JaCo said:

You think that people won't to pay 200-300 more for these than MSRP, when people have been paying $500-$1000 more than MSRP for the last 2 years?  Scalpers only have to clear cost, shipping, taxes, and fees; then the rest if profit.  The entirety of the previous shortages of graphics cards was artificially created by restricting them all to Online Only purchases.  Products which were sold in physical stores quickly normalized, while ones which were sold online only dramatically increased the length of the shortages while increasing scalper prices.  It was only after, all the retailers and manufacturers doubled down on online only sales after knowing what the scalpers were doing to buy them up that the prices skyrocketed.

Same thing here.  If they sell primarily online, then the scalpers will get the overwhelming majority of the cards.  They will be marked up by $300-$400, maybe more; and the scalpers likely won't take less than $200-$250 over the MSRP.

Had they simply split the 30-series cards so at least 25%-30% were sent to physical stores, then the scalpers would have only bought out the first or second wave of the production (and only that going to online only sales) rather than them doing it for well over a year.

- The customer base will not exist more than 2 weeks tops.  IF they do at all.  Its going to be a huge gamble.

- Margins aren't as high as you think.  If they buy bust case scenario a 1599 card for 1519.05 MC with 5% off and resale certificate (no tax).  Their costs are going to be about 1776.04 with the ebay fees and shipping.

- Insane competition from used cards and new 3000 series.  You can get a new 3090ti for 1099 now.

- If they keep stock low until AMD releases many will go AMD.  

that's what it seems like, online only, only store that will have physical is microcenter (as of now confirmed) sounds like a repeat waiting to happen of the 3000 series launch.  Only place can get in person will be microcenter.  But hopefully that will change and best buy will have them in store.

I have a question for sh1ts and giggles. Will it bottleneck a 9900k cpu???

Honestly speaking, I think this is a silly question, and that it's being asked just 'because...'. Nobody knows for sure, unless you're Mr Leather Jacket himself, but I doubt he'd deign to post here because we're all Plebs to him.

There'll be 16GB/12GB variants, while the latter is, in reality, an RTX 4070/4060. nGreedia stuck it with the RTX 4080 12GB nomenclature because it can then price it higher, with the 16GB version priced even higher as it'd be a true RTX 4080 (or so I've heard).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

13 hours ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

that's what it seems like, online only, only store that will have physical is microcenter (as of now confirmed) sounds like a repeat waiting to happen of the 3000 series launch.  Only place can get in person will be microcenter.  But hopefully that will change and best buy will have them in store.

MC is usually pretty good the thing that is 100% certain is demand is way down vs 3000 series (demand was never there for 1500+ cards outside of mining in the first place) and it only took me a month so it should be faster.  If its past RDNA3 launch I'll consider that as well. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, Yoshi Moshi said:

Line up at microcenter is your best bet

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Listen here at 39:53 discusses the "metric ton of 4090s" available for order.  This isn't the first I've heard of this, this just came out some I came across it today.

Welp it looks like the status on Best Buy 4090s have a changed status of "Sold Out" so I think the pre-orders are already gone at best buy?  Originally it was "Coming Soon" but now it's sold out lol.

image.thumb.png.56b8384a410068523e0c15eb9a2d8b2d.png

All that appears to be left is third party board partner cards, which are still "Coming Soon" but if it's like the launch of the 3000 series, Best Buy will only get the Nvidia card on launch, which is already gone for pre order. Now the only question is if they will have any in store physically of the cards.  I sure hope so. Best Buy is 20 minutes from me, while MicroCenter is 2 hours.

I'm surprised the pre-orders aren't already listed for sale on e-bay for the people who were able to get one. For the 3000 series they were up for sale on ebay shortly after pre-orders sold out.

I don't think they ever accepted money.  Stock naming can be weird before products are actually released.

I wonder if the lines will start forming any hour now. I remember for the 3090 launch people waiting outside of California microcenter for about a whole week.

Any reports of lines forming yet? We are less than a week away.