So MINI USB 3.0 is apparently a thing and it was way better than Micro 3.0

Necro compute

Basically the title, stumbled across this onlineCapture d’écran 2022-09-26 120156.png 

You can count the 10 pins inside the mini-b USB end so it is a genuine 3.0 cable not just a blue colored 2.0 cable (mini & micro have an extra pin for OTG support).
For reference this is what a 3.0 Micro USB cable was like spacer.png

I feel like there is a story here...

It looks like it's only limited to USB2 mode however.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Your post does not really elaborate on "way better" part. I have one of these. Its for mini SATA adapter that I use with 2.5" drives. I'm not 100% on what kind of speeds it gets.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

They should rename it 'CSB'. Or 'SSB'.

Quite frankly, USB C is so much less annoying to use, I'd rather use it for all of my peripherals, with some small exceptions. If I could convert my keyboard, mouse, and everything else to C, I would.

I legit hated reality when A, mini, and micro were common. I just got a micro keyboard for my Steam Deck, and I HATE the USB 2.0 Mini connector on it. D:

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

28 minutes ago, Sarra said:

They should rename it 'CSB'. Or 'SSB'.

Quite frankly, USB C is so much less annoying to use, I'd rather use it for all of my peripherals, with some small exceptions. If I could convert my keyboard, mouse, and everything else to C, I would.

I legit hated reality when A, mini, and micro were common. I just got a micro keyboard for my Steam Deck, and I HATE the USB 2.0 Mini connector on it. D:

Mini or micro? In 10 years I have never seen a Mini usb Plug/socket fail, it's about once every 2-3 months for micro cables and 6-8 months for type C

7 minutes ago, Necro compute said:

Mini or micro? In 10 years I have never seen a Mini usb Plug/socket fail, it's about once every 2-3 months for micro cables and 6-8 months for type C

What are you using them for? Fish hooks? In last 10 years I've had as many mini's as micros die. No USB3 micros, couple of As, no Cs or Bs, So your point is durability? Does your 2-3 months include both USB2 and 3 or just 2?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

What are you using them for? Fish hooks? In last 10 years I've had as many mini's as micros die. No USB3 micros, couple of As, no Cs or Bs, So your point is durability? Does your 2-3 months include both USB2 and 3 or just 2?

I'm taking about micro USB 2.0 and type C cables, Micro USB has two little hooks on it that wear down thus requiring regular replacing. The port side is also rather fragile and prone to breaking from stress the weight of the cable puts on it. As for type C they after about 6 months of use they start to cut out if you move the device they are connected to even slightly, not to mention is easily crushed under foot with most phone chargers spending their life near the floor that's a genuine concern.

By comparison the old MINI USB cable I use with my Dualshock 3 controller still works after all these years.

29 minutes ago, Necro compute said:

I dislike both with a burning passion.

I don't care about failures (I've had both types fail, but not rapidly), it's more about how easy/difficult it is to get it to insert easily. Type C is just 'jam it in and go', A, mini, and micro are 'jam it in, doesn't fit, fiddle with it, get it in, wait for it to connect, then go'. A at least is fast to figure out when it's wrong way, mini and micro, especially if you can't actually see the female end, can be a royal pain.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Mini USB is an old USB 2 standard.  

I can't find any reference to mini USB existing for USB 3.

depositphotos_327267320-stock-illustration-socket-usb-plug-in-type.jpg

Mini USB B is older than Micro USB B is, and those are both older than USB C.

USB C is objectively superior to all previous "tiny USB connectors" that were in common use.  

Last time I used mini usb was for a Garmin.  I think I still have one of those lying around somewhere.

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

I dislike both with a burning passion.

I don't care about failures (I've had both types fail, but not rapidly), it's more about how easy/difficult it is to get it to insert easily. Type C is just 'jam it in and go', A, mini, and micro are 'jam it in, doesn't fit, fiddle with it, get it in, wait for it to connect, then go'. A at least is fast to figure out when it's wrong way, mini and micro, especially if you can't actually see the female end, can be a royal pain.

Considering the type of device you usually find them on... I have a hard time picturing that scenario. Are you plugging stuff in the dark?

I eagerly await the day I can refresh all of my portable HDD with ones that don't need a god-awful micro-b plug.

1 hour ago, Necro compute said:

I'm taking about micro USB 2.0 and type C cables, Micro USB has two little hooks on it that wear down thus requiring regular replacing. The port side is also rather fragile and prone to breaking from stress the weight of the cable puts on it. As for type C they after about 6 months of use they start to cut out if you move the device they are connected to even slightly, not to mention is easily crushed under foot with most phone chargers spending their life near the floor that's a genuine concern.

By comparison the old MINI USB cable I use with my Dualshock 3 controller still works after all these years.

So no experience on USB3 micro B's breaking then? You are very hard trying to make a case that mini B is better with USB3 while not using USB3 connectors as your examples.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Mini USB3 was never a thing officially. Now it wouldn't be surprising if some companies made nonstandard stuff, just like GoPro used a dual-sided MiniUSB similar to those so they could have more pins to add AV out.

Never seen a device that would have had one. 

Note that you can find cables on sites similar to what you likely found this on that make no sense at all and would never work with anything - someone will buy them thinking they do.

1 hour ago, Necro compute said:

Micro USB has two little hooks on it that wear down

By spec when used "correctly" Mini-USB is actually rated for fewer mating cycles than micro. It's when abused that micro falls behind.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

honestly, mini can die just as fast as micro can, I have to get a mini usb cable for my calculator and ughh
I want usb c on everything, now

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

USB C is superior but has its own issues. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Sp. like I said earlier, I actually have one of these. Its paired with USB to mini-SATA adapter. Now, as I'm not sure if I have USB2 cable that would pair with that adapter (the one with 2x USB-A for power), I can't compare USB2 to USB3 speeds on same drive. Here's the results with Kingston HyperX 3K SSD I usually have in USB3 drive enclosure:

HyperXSSD_USB3.PNG.db8536e9c716fd35680d94ffd9631f8b.PNG

For reference, same drive in its normal enclosure:

HyperXSSD_USB3-2.PNG.6e21e79fe437066555b6359bbc2d965b.PNG

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv