AMD is in TROUBLE – Ryzen 7000 Full Review

AdamFromLTT

At long last, AMD has launched their new Zen 4 CPUs, Ryzen 7950X, 7900X, 7700X, and 7600X, and they look great. Alongside the enhancements of socket AM5, these new chips look like they give Intel a run for their money... or do they? AMD has a bit of an issue of not being better than their best gaming chip, or better value than Intel's platform which makes some of these chips hard to recommend. And with Intel's Raptor Lake looming on the horizon, AMD's future might not look so bright anymore.

Yep, I still wonder who will buy a 7600X or 7700X at the prices they've given (esp. in Europe where they are even worse than in the US)...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yep, I still wonder who will buy a 7600X or 7700X at the prices they've given (esp. in Europe where they are even worse than in the US)...

I will still buy a 7700x, I dont care about max frames and rendering etc etc. I just want a mid range computer that will last 6 years or so like I usually do. 

Currently have a 1600x with a 1060 so its time for an upgrade. 

I think that i will skip AM5 entirely...

I have no reason to upgrade.

I suspect that AM4 is the 2600K all over again.

We all remember how owners of the 2600K saw no reason to upgrade until around 2017...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Hey guys, I have always been an Intel guy but I am ready for a PC upgrade and since AMD is looking so good lately I think its time for the switch. Can you guys recommend me a configuration using AMD best CPU with DDr5 if possible? Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, agatong55 said:

I will still buy a 7700x, I dont care about max frames and rendering etc etc. I just want a mid range computer that will last 6 years or so like I usually do. 

Why bother going 7000 series then? If you're not going to upgrade it for 6 years like your current system, the longevity of AM5 clearly means nothing to you. You could just drop a 5000 series chip into your existing board, or drop a 13th gen Intel cpu into a cheap 12th-gen motherboard. You're paying a huge premium to invest into AM5 both in the form of expensive motherboards as well as DDR5, but you probably aren't going to reap the benefits of that investment in the form of a cheap upgrade in 3-4 years time.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

7 minutes ago, agatong55 said:

Then get a 5900X or 12700K, it'll cost you less, performances will be comparable, and it'll last as long...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, Ernesto_Ruano said:

Hey guys, I have always been an Intel guy but I am ready for a PC upgrade and since AMD is looking so good lately I think its time for the switch. Can you guys recommend me a configuration using AMD best CPU with DDr5 if possible? Thanks in advance

Wait a few weeks as Intel has a release coming soon as well. Make a decision as to what to buy once those are out.

I guess the sensible thing here if you have a system that's still running fine is to wait two or three months. By that time, AM5 CPU prices are likely to have gone down a fair bit (if past CPU generations are anything to go by) and DDR5 will also be more affordable. And, of course, you will also have the choice of Intels 13th gen parts.

Also, hey, who knows, I still haven't completely given up hope in a new HEDT platform, either from Intel or from AMD, now that the chip shortage is over.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop: AMD Ryzen 5 2500 /w Vega Graphics; 8GB DDR4

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I think that i will skip AM5 entirely...

Given that AM5 is going to be around for a while that may change. 

Looking forward to see the X3D parts at CES.

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

Given that AM5 is going to be around for a while that may change. 

Looking forward to see the X3D parts at CES.

Yeah, gonna have to wait until then in order to make a decision between Intel 13th gen and AMD 7000 series.

If LTT's take is that its only bad beacuse it doesnt beat the 5800x3d (prices of ddr5 and boards will go down over time), then its a good thing the 7800x3d comes out Q1

as with any new platforms, wait it out and let AMD sort out any potential issues with AM5 and DDR5. anyone on AM4 should look towards cheaper 5800X, 5800X3D or 5900X as upgrade paths

Guess the AIO makers should add little tap somwhere on the loop so that gamers can boil water for their cup noodles while gaming.

IMO the fears of everyone back when AMD first made their announcements seem to have at least partly come true here. This release - while it does beat Intel's current offerings - doesn't look like it's going to fare well long-term. It really feels like a "get our product out first to get some sales before the competition arrives" kind of move. The margin by which Zen 5 beats Intel's offerings isn't exactly huge and all the rumors for 13th gen suggest it will likely bring Intel at the very least on par in terms of performance.

Ryzen 7000 just doesn't feel like a particularly good buy unless you're the kind of person who likes doing a CPU upgrade every 2-3 years, in which case buying into AM5 might be justifiable for you. For the majority of people - aka the ones who don't do this - a 13th gen CPU will likely be a better buy, seeing as you'll be able to pair them with a cheap 12th-gen board and cheap DDR4.

If you're not desperate for a new CPU right now and are willing to wait a few months, 14th gen is rumored to be arriving as early as Q2 next year, providing yet more uplifts that will almost certainly bring Intel to the front of the pack given that Ryzen 8000 isn't expected for at least a year, potetntially not until 2024. Zen4 X3D might throw a spanner in the works if it arrives in Q1 as rumored, but personally I wasn't exactly enamoured with the 5800X3D before and I can't imagine this will be much different. They'll likely be expensive, halo-tier products that don't make sense for most people and - unless they've improved things - will provide an increase in single-threaded performance at the cost of multi-threaded performance. So for those who care about multi-core performance, Zen4 X3D probably won't be that appealing either.

6 minutes ago, ImperialKnightErrant said:

5800X

That's a nope,

Th 5700X and the 5700G are better deals.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

11 minutes ago, Piecku said:

Is efficiency officially dead now?

AMD7950X.png

It is efficient though?
for desktop use it just turbos to a temp and says who cares about everything else. Joules per flop is higher then it ever has been.|
Just because a chip can scale up does not mean it cant scale down

But there is a reason dragon ridge exists. You can scale it down to sub 45W if you want to and it will still be faster then anything else at 45W

This whole concept is going to be very obnoxious going forward honestly, not from amd, but from users not knowing how watts, temperature, and transfer of heat works.

Like how its like talking to a wall trying to tell people that when an intel chip with an intel stock cooler going to 95 degrees produces less heat then an intel chip overclocked on an AIO going to 70 degrees.

I hope for a follow up video with Ram speed scaling to see if it makes any difference.

Ryzen 7000 seems to be rather inclined for productivity than gaming, also waiting X3D CPUs, maybe then I'll swap to AMD.

I edit my posts more often than not

I'm disappointed Linus didn't test the performance of the 7000 series against the 5000 series with them at 65W TDP. I would be interested to see if the performance uplift was due to higher IPC as AMD claims, or just from higher raw clock speed and more cache.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

1 hour ago, agatong55 said:

I am in the same spot, except I got a 1700X rather than the 1600X.

I am planning on upgrading soon-ish as well. Just going to wait for Intel to show us Rapid Lake so that I can compare it vs Ryzen 7000.

Probably going to wait for lower end Nvidia 4000 cards and AMD RDNA 3 cards as well.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am in the same spot, except I got a 1700X rather than the 1600X.

I am planning on upgrading soon-ish as well. Just going to wait for Intel to show us Rapid Lake so that I can compare it vs Ryzen 7000.

Probably going to wait for lower end Nvidia 4000 cards and AMD RDNA 3 cards as well.

Instead of buying new motherboard,RAM and CPU isn't it better to just upgrade to a 5800X3D?

1 hour ago, tim0901 said:

IMO the fears of everyone back when AMD first made their announcements seem to have at least partly come true here. This release - while it does beat Intel's current offerings - doesn't look like it's going to fare well long-term. It really feels like a "get our product out first to get some sales before the competition arrives" kind of move. The margin by which Zen 5 beats Intel's offerings isn't exactly huge and all the rumors for 13th gen suggest it will likely bring Intel at the very least on par in terms of performance.

Ryzen 7000 just doesn't feel like a particularly good buy unless you're the kind of person who likes doing a CPU upgrade every 2-3 years, in which case buying into AM5 might be justifiable for you. For the majority of people - aka the ones who don't do this - a 13th gen CPU will likely be a better buy, seeing as you'll be able to pair them with a cheap 12th-gen board and cheap DDR4.

If you're not desperate for a new CPU right now and are willing to wait a few months, 14th gen is rumored to be arriving as early as Q2 next year, providing yet more uplifts that will almost certainly bring Intel to the front of the pack given that Ryzen 8000 isn't expected for at least a year, potetntially not until 2024. Zen4 X3D might throw a spanner in the works if it arrives in Q1 as rumored, but personally I wasn't exactly enamoured with the 5800X3D before and I can't imagine this will be much different. They'll likely be expensive, halo-tier products that don't make sense for most people and - unless they've improved things - will provide an increase in single-threaded performance at the cost of multi-threaded performance. So for those who care about multi-core performance, Zen4 X3D probably won't be that appealing either.

I beg to differ : even at launch prices, 7900X and especially 7950X will be quite a good choice for hi end and productivity builds, same as 5900X and 5950X were vs 10th, 11th and even 12th gen i7 and i9

Same or better performances, competitive prices, better efficiency, and lasting platform for an upgrade in 3 years are serious arguments

And idk what Intel will achieve with 13th gen on CBR23, but 7950X stock is around 40K to 30K on a 12900KS, that's quite a gap

But on the low end mid "gaming" range, current pricing of 7600X and 7700X make them totally uncompetitive with neither 12th gen nor even Zen3, so...

13 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Instead of buying new motherboard,RAM and CPU isn't it better to just upgrade to a 5800X3D?

Maybe if the only thing I did was play games, but for the things I am interested in Ryzen 7000 is quite a lot better than the 5800X3D.

But for the things I am interested in (like video encoding) it seems like the 12th gen Intel processors are better as well, at least in the lower price brackets.

The i7-12700 for 340 USD seems to be very slightly ahead of the 7700X at 400 USD.

For comparison, the i7-1200K is roughly 23% faster than the 5800X3D for video encoding, while costing about 20% less. 23% higher performance for 20% less money? Yes please!

Honestly, I don't think the 5800X3D is as good as everyone says it is.

Yes, it is good for gaming, but that's about it. In everything else it gets beat by similar priced or cheaper processors. I also find it hard to justify spending 420 USD on a CPU that will only be used for gaming. You can get amazing gaming performance for way less than that. To me, spending so much on stuff just to play games is kind of like when audiophiles spend 4000 dollars to listen to Hotel California. I am fairly sure I enjoy the song pretty much the same they do, even though I spent way less money. It makes me question if people are actually enjoying the music/game, or if they are more interested in just spending money to buy new and shiny toys.