Turning a Slow Windows Laptop Into Linux?

paulyron

A while back, I purchased a cheap windows 11 home laptop.  It is an HP and specs are very bad.

Windows 11 Home 

1366x768 resolution

Intel Celeron N4120

4 GB ddr4-2400 MHz

64 GB emmc

Intel UHD Graphics 600

This windows laptop is very slow when you open chrome tabs.  I bought it a while back because I wanted a cheap laptop because I needed another laptop to to do a few things.  But if you want to use this laptop even as an entertainment laptop, it is way too slow.

Now I want to get another chromebook because my old chromebook that I use no longer has any more auto updates, but screen has issues, keyboard issues and all that.  However, what about turning this slow windows 11 hp laptop into a linux and use it as a chromebook.  Would that work or not?  Could I always go back to Windows 11 Home in the future?

The thing is I would be using the laptop as an entertainment laptop.  By that i mean web browsing forums, visiting streaming sites... that might have malware and viruses.  I would also be downloading videos and files that might have viruses/malware.  This is for watching adult videos and streaming etc.  I always did this on my old chromebook and this was never an issue because I don't use that chromebook for anything important.  

So should I just buy a new chromebook for these activities.... or turn this Windows 11 Home HP Slow Laptop into linux?  Now I would be planning to download videos and files though... and will then either keep it in the laptop or move it to an external hard drive which I have tons of videos/files though.  But is that still safe on linux or not?  Because on chromebook, there is no concern of that.  Also I know i could always powerwash chromebook but never had to do it.  Would this windows 11 laptop be okay to turn into linux?  Or its not that safe and might as well get a new chromebook for these activities?

Now with a chromebook with similar processor and 4gb ram, I know that is more than enough to open a lot of chrome tabs etc.  But will these specs of the slow windows laptop be fast with linux?  

17 minutes ago, paulyron said:

A while back, I purchased a cheap windows 11 home laptop.  It is an HP and specs are very bad.

Windows 11 Home 

1366x768 resolution

Intel Celeron N4120

4 GB ddr4-2400 MHz

64 GB emmc

Intel UHD Graphics 600

This windows laptop is very slow when you open chrome tabs.  I bought it a while back because I wanted a cheap laptop because I needed another laptop to to do a few things.  But if you want to use this laptop even as an entertainment laptop, it is way too slow.

Now I want to get another chromebook because my old chromebook that I use no longer has any more auto updates, but screen has issues, keyboard issues and all that.  However, what about turning this slow windows 11 hp laptop into a linux and use it as a chromebook.  Would that work or not?  Could I always go back to Windows 11 Home in the future?

The thing is I would be using the laptop as an entertainment laptop.  By that i mean web browsing forums, visiting streaming sites... that might have malware and viruses.  I would also be downloading videos and files that might have viruses/malware.  This is for watching adult videos and streaming etc.  I always did this on my old chromebook and this was never an issue because I don't use that chromebook for anything important.  

So should I just buy a new chromebook for these activities.... or turn this Windows 11 Home HP Slow Laptop into linux?  Now I would be planning to download videos and files though... and will then either keep it in the laptop or move it to an external hard drive which I have tons of videos/files though.  But is that still safe on linux or not?  Because on chromebook, there is no concern of that.  Also I know i could always powerwash chromebook but never had to do it.  Would this windows 11 laptop be okay to turn into linux?  Or its not that safe and might as well get a new chromebook for these activities?

Now with a chromebook with similar processor and 4gb ram, I know that is more than enough to open a lot of chrome tabs etc.  But will these specs of the slow windows laptop be fast with linux?  

Or you can try turning that device into a Chromebook: https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I'm not liking that Celeron is a 32 bit processor, so you won't have a browser, or a system with all the security updates. It might be good for vintage gaming, but I wouldn't trust anything important to it.

2 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

so you won't have a browser, or a system with all the security updates

? What does 32bit OS/CPU have to do with getting security updates or using browser?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 gigs isn't a whole lot of RAM, and the storage is probably dog-slow. I'd upgrade those first if they aren't soldered. 

You could also try doing a clean install of Windows using Microsoft's install image. OEMs subsidize cheap laptops by loading them up with junk software you don't really need.

You could also try ChromeOS Flex.

Any full-featured desktop Linux distribution will be just as heavy as a vanilla Windows 11 install.

3 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

I'm not liking that Celeron is a 32 bit processor, so you won't have a browser, or a system with all the security updates. It might be good for vintage gaming, but I wouldn't trust anything important to it.

It's a 64-bit CPU that came out in 2019. There is no 32-bit version of Windows 11.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/197309/intel-celeron-processor-n4120-4m-cache-up-to-2-60-ghz/specifications.html

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

? What does 32bit OS/CPU have to do with getting security updates or using browser?

Systems and software for 32 bit systems are way out of date now. Everything expects 64 bit now.

...though I didn't realize there was a 64 bit Celeron. Atom, maybe. ...but I'm used to Celeron being a cut down Pentium 2-4 generation chip.

It certainly is a 64 bit CPU.

Personally I'd put Linux Mint Cinnamon on it and it would be "good to go".

As the CPU was released in 2019, it would be one of the more modern laptops I've done an installation on.

I have, sitting waiting for an SSD to turn up tomorrow and have Linux Mint installed, an old HP Compaq 6730c and a release date 2008. Now that tends to be old.

I don't know why the talk of Chromebook when that laptop would be a good one with a properly set up Linux installation. If it can run Windows 11, it should fly with Linux and have everything needed to make it useful by default without buying any extra software which you would have to with Windows.

7 hours ago, paulyron said:

Now I would be planning to download videos and files though... and will then either keep it in the laptop or move it to an external hard drive which I have tons of videos/files though.  But is that still safe on linux or not?

Safe on Linux? Of course it will be safe on Linux. It will not be safe on Windows as that is prone to viruses.

What you are suggesting doing I'm doing every day, looking at and downloading music videos, information websites, etc. External HD? Yes definitely OK and safe.

Viruses? What viruses? There aren't any viruses that can attack a Linux installation.

If you install Mint it has a browser, Firefox, by default. If you want you can add Chromium. It has an office suite by default, LibreOffice (FREE) and is more powerful than Microsoft Office which costs money. There is a video playing app there and you can add VLC and others if you want.

If you want a bit of anonymity add Tor as the browser and again, no viruses or malware will infect it.

7 hours ago, RollyShed said:

Safe on Linux? Of course it will be safe on Linux. It will not be safe on Windows as that is prone to viruses.

What you are suggesting doing I'm doing every day, looking at and downloading music videos, information websites, etc. External HD? Yes definitely OK and safe.

Viruses? What viruses? There aren't any viruses that can attack a Linux installation.

If you install Mint it has a browser, Firefox, by default. If you want you can add Chromium. It has an office suite by default, LibreOffice (FREE) and is more powerful than Microsoft Office which costs money. There is a video playing app there and you can add VLC and others if you want.

If you want a bit of anonymity add Tor as the browser and again, no viruses or malware will infect it.

I will be using this device to download adult videos and pictures and save them to the laptop.  Will also then transfer these same files to an external hard drive that I use to store these videos and pictures.  I use this exact external hard drive with my current chromebook.  Thus I would not plug that external hard drive into any my main laptop.

I will also be watching adult videos via streaming and those sites have lot of those viruses which is why I want a separate computer for this.  Thus, I would not want to do this on my main laptop.  So you are saying doing all this on linux... is perfectly safe?  I would not be doing any financial things on this same laptop.  That is why I use a chromebook for all this.  But since my chromebook need to be replaced due to the screen and also no more updates, you are saying using this old slow windows 11 home laptop and using linux is more than good enough?  The hp laptop below is the laptop I have.  You recommend me use this to use linux?  Any issue opening lots of chrome tabs with it?  The one issue I don't like about it though is the screen resolution is horrible at 1366x768,  But if its fast enough to handle lot of chrome tabs, then i don't need to buy a new chromebook.  I always thought chromebook is much simpler.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-14-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-snowflake-white/6499749.p?skuId=6499749

How long would it take to download linux in a usb flash drive and then install it on this laptop?

Again I am not tech savy at all.  Would I need a usb flash drive for this?  Also if i want to format this linux machine... how long does it take and is process easy or hard?  I basically want an entertainment laptop where I wouldn't mind downloading anything or clicking links etc.  

47 minutes ago, paulyron said:

you are saying using this old slow windows 11 home laptop and using linux is more than good enough?  The hp laptop below is the laptop I have.  You recommend me use this to use linux?  Any issue opening lots of chrome tabs with it?  The one issue I don't like about it though is the screen resolution is horrible at 1366x768,

How long would it take to download linux in a usb flash drive and then install it on this laptop?

Again I am not tech savy at all.  Would I need a usb flash drive for this?  Also if i want to format this linux machine... how long does it take and is process easy or hard?  I basically want an entertainment laptop where I wouldn't mind downloading anything or clicking links etc.  

First, it doesn't appear to be old. As mentioned, as far as I'm concerned old is 10 years or more. Common installations I do are on 5 year old laptops. The two laptops we commonly use are only 8 years old.

Chrome tabs? What do mean by that? Do you mean browser tabs in what ever web browser you are using? If so with 4GB there can be a limit but I see Chromebooks with only 2GB so it should be better.

The laptop? HP 14" Intel Celeron, 4gb memory 64gb-emmc - no model number there.

Downloading the iso file should be quick. You then need to burn the iso file to a USB stick. NOTE - not "copy" it, burn it. Use something like Rufus for that on Windows.

You will need to go into the BIOS and probably switch OFF Fast Boot, Secure Boot and set it to Legacy. you will also need to make the stick the first item to be looked at, before the hard disk.

It usually takes me about 8 minutes to install from the stick. When setting it up you can set it without needing a password on boot-up, tick the wee box below where the password for the system is entered. Also go and switch off password on Screensave if so desired after it is all installed.

After that updates, possibly another 6 - 8 minutes, .... another cup of coffee.

I bring up Text Editor and put in in the Panel (Task Bar) and write the password in that and save. You do need the password if installing any apps.

I'd suggest for what you are doing to install Tor from their website.

There is a very good and helpful discussion forum for Linux Mint.

Message me if you run into problems.

I should have another installation to do today when the SSD for the old HP is dropped off to me.

On 9/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, RollyShed said:

First, it doesn't appear to be old. As mentioned, as far as I'm concerned old is 10 years or more. Common installations I do are on 5 year old laptops. The two laptops we commonly use are only 8 years old.

Chrome tabs? What do mean by that? Do you mean browser tabs in what ever web browser you are using? If so with 4GB there can be a limit but I see Chromebooks with only 2GB so it should be better.

The laptop? HP 14" Intel Celeron, 4gb memory 64gb-emmc - no model number there.

Downloading the iso file should be quick. You then need to burn the iso file to a USB stick. NOTE - not "copy" it, burn it. Use something like Rufus for that on Windows.

You will need to go into the BIOS and probably switch OFF Fast Boot, Secure Boot and set it to Legacy. you will also need to make the stick the first item to be looked at, before the hard disk.

It usually takes me about 8 minutes to install from the stick. When setting it up you can set it without needing a password on boot-up, tick the wee box below where the password for the system is entered. Also go and switch off password on Screensave if so desired after it is all installed.

After that updates, possibly another 6 - 8 minutes, .... another cup of coffee.

I bring up Text Editor and put in in the Panel (Task Bar) and write the password in that and save. You do need the password if installing any apps.

I'd suggest for what you are doing to install Tor from their website.

There is a very good and helpful discussion forum for Linux Mint.

Message me if you run into problems.

I should have another installation to do today when the SSD for the old HP is dropped off to me.

Well this laptop isn't old.  I got it about a year ago only.  But I bought a slow laptop.

Yes I mean if i choose linux with it, could i open a ton of chrome tabs without lag?  Because on my old chromebook, very few issues as long as not a lot of chrome tabs.

It is the one on best buy that i posted the link to.

Okay to download iso file and do all of that, how long would it take?  Then how long would it take to set up linux then all total for the entire process?

So you would recommend me turn this slow windows 11 laptop into a chromebook then in my situation?  Again if i get a new chromebook, all i would do is use it as entertainment laptop... and that would include downloading videos and pictures from adult sites and watching streaming videos from those sites.  Thus i would not do this on my main windows laptop so I want a separate device for this.  I also would store videos and photos in it as well.  So my question is, would this laptop with linux be perfect for it?  Now are you also saying any adult video files I download.. would linux check to see if it has malware or virus?  Or could it already be there and I won't know?  But for that linux setup, i would not be doing anything financial on it though... so that would be fine?  Or it would still be fine downloading adult videos and pictures from possibly shady sites... and still login to email and banking on that same linux os or not?  Or could i create a 2nd profile that is for financial and one for entertainment?  Or I can't do that because it is too slow and very little ram?

Now I don't mind not using it for anything financial though since it is going to be an entertainment laptop.  But if i want to wipe it clean and start fresh, how easy would that be if i have a usb with linux with me?  Then i just wipe it clean and reinstall linux mint again and now say i want to use it for financial things, it is safe to do so?  But you still have to wipe hard drive and all that so this process would take an hour or so if you want to do a clean reinstall of linux mint if you want to wipe your computer clean?

2 hours ago, paulyron said:

Okay to download iso file and do all of that, how long would it take?  Then how long would it take to set up linux then all total for the entire process?

So you would recommend me turn this slow windows 11 laptop into a chromebook then in my situation?

No, use Linux.

Again if i get a new chromebook, all i would do is use it as entertainment laptop... and that would include downloading videos and pictures from adult sites and watching streaming videos from those sites.  ...  So my question is, would this laptop with linux be perfect for it?  Now are you also saying any adult video files I download.. would linux check to see if it has malware or virus? 

NO.

Or could it already be there and I won't know?  

You wouldn't know and it wouldn't matter.

But if i want to wipe it clean and start fresh, how easy would that be if i have a usb with linux with me? 

Could be done.

Then i just wipe it clean and reinstall linux mint again and now say i want to use it for financial things, it is safe to do so?

Yes though unnecessary.

But you still have to wipe hard drive and all that so this process would take an hour or so if you want to do a clean reinstall of linux mint if you want to wipe your computer clean?

8 minutes.

Turn it into a Chromebook? Why? No.

Okay to download iso file and do all of that, how long would it take? 

Then how long would it take to set up linux then all total for the entire process?

Download the Linux Mint Cinnamon iso from the web? 30 seconds? Less than a minute?

Burn it to a USB stick using, if using Windows, Rufus. Less than a minute?

Check the BIOS, Secure Boot OFF, possibly switch to Legacy. Bootup from the Stick - 30 seconds? 1 minute?

Install - set the name and password (off when booting up if you want) then go. From there 8 minutes.

Do up dates, about 6-8 minutes.

A going system. Now load extra bits if you want them. It will have by default, Firefox and LibreOffice plus a lot of other things.

"would linux check to see if it has malware or virus?" No, why would it bother? There aren't any to do anything to Linux.

For your 2 uses, videos and banking, if any viruses are on the files you download they can't do anything because they can't run in Linux. You haven't allowed them to and they will be written for Windows so wouldn't run anyway.

"But you still have to wipe hard drive and all that so this process would take an hour or so if you want to do a clean reinstall of linux mint if you want to wipe your computer clean?"

NO. On installation you tell it to wipe and install - 8 minutes.

As for old, a 2008 HP laptop has just gone to its owner today. It would run perfectly for everything you are talking about.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:29 AM, paulyron said:

1366x768 resolution

Intel Celeron N4120

4 GB ddr4-2400 MHz

64 GB emmc

Intel UHD Graphics 600

That's literally a Chromebook with Windows... It was never designed to run Windows, but they sell it anyways for those of us who think that buying a $300 laptop now and buying a new one once it breaks every 2 years is a better idea than buying a $600 - $1000 machine that lasts 5+ years...

6 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

It was never designed to run Windows, but they sell it anyways for those of us who think that buying a $300 laptop now and buying a new one once it breaks every 2 years is a better idea than buying a $600 - $1000 machine that lasts 5+ years...

The specs show there have been millions of laptops with far lower specs sold over the years, all running Windows. The laptops we use have far lower specs and do everything we want them for.

The laptop is not broken. No where is it said the laptop is broken.

The laptop collected yesterday dates from 2008 and it will keep going for another decade. It has Linux on it. Its specs are far lower than those of the laptop under discussion.

Okay so would everyone agree do not continue using this slow windows 11 hp laptop as windows?  Make it at least linux then almost always?

Would you suggest I use this machine as an entertainment laptop then so i don't buy to buy a chromebook for when i go to streaming sites and download from adult sites?  I don't mind getting malware or virus as long as I could just wipe it clean and start new.  So as long as i have a usb stick with linux mint, it is fine?

Dude have you not done anything at all to the laptop since you created this post about 5 days ago? We know you want the best out of a slow laptop but you won't get results here if you haven't even tried.

At least try out ChromeOS Flex as suggested.

3 hours ago, paulyron said:

Okay so would everyone agree do not continue using this slow windows 11 hp laptop as windows?  Make it at least linux then almost always?

Would you suggest I use this machine as an entertainment laptop then so i don't buy to buy a chromebook for when i go to streaming sites and download from adult sites?  I don't mind getting malware or virus as long as I could just wipe it clean and start new.  So as long as i have a usb stick with linux mint, it is fine?

Yes, we keep saying, install Linux, we repeatedly keep saying that.

Why think of continually wiping it? Viruses and malware can't do anything to a Linux Installation.

As said, you've had 5 days to do something and done nothing. I've done an install and delivered yesterday and done another installation today. Today's took at least 6 minutes to wipe the disk and install Linux Mint Cinnamon version 21.

18 hours ago, RollyShed said:

The laptop is not broken. No where is it said the laptop is broken.

It will break. Have you even seen Chromebooks used by students for 6 months? 

The laptop collected yesterday dates from 2008 and it will keep going for another decade. It has Linux on it. Its specs are far lower than those of the laptop under discussion.

It is also upgradeable to have 8GB of RAM (maybe even 16), and an SSD, both of which are result in a better user experience than the flash storage (basically a soldered SD card) and 4 GB of RAM in the Chromebook. It also probably has a higher resolution screen, a better trackpad and keyboard, among other various improvements. 

The specs show there have been millions of laptops with far lower specs sold over the years, all running Windows.

Sure, Windows XP, Vista, or 7 maybe, but anything new enough to have Windows 8 or higher from the factory will shred that (assuming it isn't one of the laptops in this discussion) thing. My point is that 4GB of RAM isn't enough for Windows today, and Linux requires you have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science to not brick your computer just trying to install it... And those specs are literally a Chromebook. As in that is a Chromebook he has, that Windows was installed on and sold for $100 more...

4 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

It will break. Have you even seen Chromebooks used by students for 6 months? 

Linux requires you have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science to not brick your computer just trying to install it...

The computer being discussed is not a Chromebook and it is not being used by a student.

I do not have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and have done over 50 Linux Mint installations.

It is exceedingly easy to do an installation and there is a good discussion forum for those who have problems.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:40 PM, RollyShed said:

The computer being discussed is not a Chromebook

https://www.newegg.com/p/2S3-0002-005W3

My point is that it is a ChromeBook, it just has Windows installed on it, whether or not Windows came from the factory does not matter, those specs are suitable for ChromeOS and nothing else (besides some other linux distro).

On 9/27/2022 at 3:40 PM, RollyShed said:

have done over 50 Linux Mint installations

I tried that a few times, the first time I couldn't install the drivers for the USB port, or anything else, because it was an older computer. So I couldn't get the drivers, if they even existed. Linux is reliant on someone else's work, you can't guarantee functionality, and if you remember Linus' video on Linux, it f****** sucks. The average user can't figure it out, let alone someone like myself whos is somewhat knowledgable about computers, or even Linus, who has spent the last 10-12 years building a media company based on computers, that he started himself. If you can't get Linux to a point where Linus can figure it out, how am I going to? How are most people going to?

7 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I tried that a few times, the first time I couldn't install the drivers for the USB port, or anything else, because it was an older computer.

So I couldn't get the drivers, if they even existed. Linux is reliant on someone else's work, you can't guarantee functionality,

The average user can't figure it out, let alone someone like myself whos is somewhat knowledgable about computers, or even Linus, who has spent the last 10-12 years building a media company based on computers, that he started himself. If you can't get Linux to a point where Linus can figure it out, how am I going to? How are most people going to?

Couldn't install the drivers for USB? What do you mean by that? There's no need to. The BIOS handles that. How do you install Windows if the USB doesn't work?

"Linux is reliant on someone else's work," - well how does Windows happen? Do you think it comes out of the sky or something? Of course someone has to do the work producing a system.

As for old computers, the last one out the door 3 days ago was a 2008, HP and no problems installing on it.

Installation is so simple. Download an iso from the web and burn it (use Rufus on Windows) to a USB stick. Make sure the BIOS sees the stick as first boot.

Plug the stick into the computer and Boot the computer.

Yes, you can use it without installing.

With Linux Mint, the third icon down is Install. You go through the steps putting in a user name and password (not need for a password on boot up if you want that way if the wee box is ticked) and then it takes 8 minutes for an installation.

It can not be easier. If you can't figure it out I'd suggest doing something else other than computers.

There is also a good helpful discussion forum for Mint.

10 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

https://www.newegg.com/p/2S3-0002-005W3 My point is that it is a ChromeBook,

The link doesn't work and says Sorry - We can't find this Item. Please check your Item#.

Nowhere is the HP model number stated. Define what is meant by, what you mean by, ChromeBook.

It is a laptop with, originally, Windows on it.

Just because it's low-end it doesn't necessarily mean it's a Chromebook. These low-end laptops were sold in both Windows and ChromeOS flavors (you can tell by the keyboard layout where Chromebooks lack a home key). Also Chromebooks have security in place that prevents you from installing another OS, but there is a workaround. And if you're finding linux hard to use well then it's certainly not for everyone but you should encourage yourself to learn, and not whine that linux is the end of the world. If you are struggling to use linux then anytime is a good time to play with linux, either live boot or simply use a VM.

But back on topic, typically it depends on the use case but my recommendations would be either ChromeOS Flex if you want something lightweight or Pop!_OS for a somewhat easy Windows alternative.

Okay so just to confirm.

1.  There is zero purpose of keeping this slow windows laptop as a windows laptop right because of how slow it is?  Make it linux?

2.  I have a usb flash drive.  So download linux mint to it?  I don't have anything on this slow windows laptop that is important so do I need to wipe the windows machine clean first or it doesn't matter?  Do I need to reset this pc first?  I want to make sure my windows is wiped before I install linux.

3.  After installing linux, I always have the option to go back to windows 11 home correct as long as I have the windows 11 downloaded on a usb stick?

4.  Do you recommend me use linux or chromeOS on my laptop for what I want to do in my situation?  Will be using it to download adult videos and pictures and stream from those sites and web browse on it.  

5.  I can always go back to windows even if changing laptop to chromeOS?

10 hours ago, paulyron said:

Okay so just to confirm.

1.  There is zero purpose of keeping this slow windows laptop as a windows laptop right because of how slow it is?  Make it linux?

2.  I have a usb flash drive.  So download linux mint to it?  I don't have anything on this slow windows laptop that is important so do I need to wipe the windows machine clean first or it doesn't matter?  Do I need to reset this pc first?  I want to make sure my windows is wiped before I install linux.

3.  After installing linux, I always have the option to go back to windows 11 home correct as long as I have the windows 11 downloaded on a usb stick?

4.  Do you recommend me use linux or chromeOS on my laptop for what I want to do in my situation?  Will be using it to download adult videos and pictures and stream from those sites and web browse on it.  

5.  I can always go back to windows even if changing laptop to chromeOS?

1 - Yes. I did a couple convertion of 10-15 years old laptop to Linux Mint just to using them as casting device or light work computer

2 - You typically download the iso and then on windows use a tools called Rufus. Rufus allow you to create a boot disk from an iso onto the usb

3- Yes. You can use any other windows computer to create a usb installer to reinstall whatever version or version that chromebook can support. could be windows 12 in the future.

4 - Linux Mint is much faster than ChromeOS. Mint is specially design as a lightweight OS but there is even lighter ones just not that "GUI" friendly. Mint is probably the best solution for a windows user that want performance.

5 - Technically as long as you control the boot sequence on the laptop and can pick "boot from usb" you have total control over what OS you want to install since most if not all OS can be installed from USB drive. In chromeOS you might not be able to create a boot device for another OS but you can always borrow a buddy computer to make the one you want if your in a pickle.

Note : Do not expect miracle. Your storage is still running on emmc which is extremely slow. I would make sure there is no option to add a normal drive beside that emmc storage and switch the boot drive to that new drive (hopefully a simple SSD)