Looking for a high airflow Chimney-Style case

DagonX

Hey there,

I want to upgrade my Case to a high airflow, low noise one. Here's what I was thinking:

At least 2x 140mm dust-filtered intake on bottom

At least 2x 140mm outtake on top

Slightly positive Pressure in the case to prevent dust from accumulating

As an inspiration, I really like the Chimney-design in TastyPC's "Windtunnel" PC:

That one even has 200mm Fans, which is awesome, but I dislike the case and not many support such large fans.

I don't care for RGB or Case Windows. Noise dampening is a nice-to-have.

I currently have four 3.5" HDDs installed, and would like to keep at least 3 of those for the time being, until I can afford to build a NAS.

I'd hope the case will be somewhat future-proof, as I don't want to buy a new one with my next Hardware-Upgrade in 2-3 years.

My current Setup is a μATX MB with an old Scythe Grand Kama Cross sticking out of it (I am that person that Linus mentioned, who never switched their cooler since Phenom II AM2, and is still rocking it with AM4), but I'd like for the case to support an ATX Mainboard and a larger tower-style cooler in the future. I don't intend to ever run more than one Graphics Card. I don't plan on watercooling my System, as I feel it is highly unnecessary with proper airflow.

The best I found so far is the Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, which costs around 115€ (which is more than I ever spent on a case so far). I really like the wider-but-less-tall style of cases.

So basically my question is: are there any other cases I should consider? especially cheaper ones?

Is there anything I totally forgot?
Thanks in advance!

Other than personal preference is there any reason you want a case like this?

Plenty of great options with just normal cases that have great airflow and are quiet. The last proper case that did this that I can remeber is the mastercase sl600. It worked well but wasnt better than other options.

Thermaltake's Tower series might be a good fit for what you're wanting to do.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 9/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, jaslion said:

Other than personal preference is there any reason you want a case like this?

Plenty of great options with just normal cases that have great airflow and are quiet. The last proper case that did this that I can remeber is the mastercase sl600. It worked well but wasnt better than other options.

So mainly, it's just about having really good airflow while being really quiet. My current case is ancient and quite loud.
I also felt that it just made sense to go from bottom to top, as that is the natural way hot air is rising, anyways. I am not, however, against a more traditional design, as long as the Fans are large and therefore quiet.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:22 AM, aisle9 said:

Thermaltake's Tower series might be a good fit for what you're wanting to do.

Thanks, I'll check it out 🙂

12 minutes ago, DagonX said:

I also felt that it just made sense to go from bottom to top, as that is the natural way hot air is rising,

The moment mechanical air movement is added this principal becomes negligable.

If you want maximum airflow + silence a fractal torrent would do you well

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

The moment mechanical air movement is added this principal becomes negligable.

This, @DagonX convection stops working with slightest continuous gust of air. And 99.9% of the cases are too short, and to wide for a chimney effect.

Just now, Dogzilla07 said:

This, @DagonX convection doesn't work with slightest gust of air. And 99.9% of the cases are too short, and to wide for chimeny effect.

That too the cases that are shown here that do top to bottom air would cook the components if left passively as there is too much room in them to create an effective airstream with convection.

Its why when you do see cases doing it they end up being thin and designed to make jetstreams of air

2 hours ago, DagonX said:

So mainly, it's just about having really good airflow while being really quiet. My current case is ancient and quite loud.
I also felt that it just made sense to go from bottom to top, as that is the natural way hot air is rising, anyways. I am not, however, against a more traditional design, as long as the Fans are large and therefore quiet.

Thanks, I'll check it out 🙂

ya slow moving fans will over come any kind of convention i though this way too... thow it still a good idea to have the flow one way like bottom to top or front to back.

bottom intake is best for air cooled gpus vs cases that have just front intake about 1-2 degree. front intake is best for tower coolers. if you got a top mounted aio and bottom intake hard to say what the best setup would be the gpu is normally the hottest part so getting rid of that heat is probably priority.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/14/2022 at 5:48 AM, DagonX said:

The best I found so far is the Lian Li O11 AIR MINI

o11 air mini is a versatile case, if yer mobo is matx/itx you'll get more clearance

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

The Fractal Torrent Mini may meet your requirements pretty well.

Crazy good airflow, et all.