Oculus (Meta) VR Users Forced to Sign Up For Yet Another Account

TechSwagPimp1337

Meta, in their infinite benevolence, has alleviated users of the burden of signing up for a Facebook account in order to use their Oculus VR headsets. This benevolence comes with a toll, as now users will need to sign up for a Meta AND Horizon account in order to use their Oculus hardware.

This includes a number of changes. Here’s a quick breakdown of the major features as revealed by Meta:

• Everyone needs a Meta account to login to their device
  • Everyone needs a Meta Horizon social profile, used for social stuff [1]

This comes after Oculus promised no interference by Facebook when getting bought out by the social media giant. This does come after the release the widely successful Oculus Quest 2, now branded Meta Quest 2, where the IDC estimated roughly 15 million sales. Perhaps the data trafficking helped supplement the $400 cost to entry for users. The Oculus Rift sold for $600 at release in 2016.

“You will not need a Facebook account to use or develop for the Rift.” [2]

Summary

Meta holds VR hardware hostage with two new accounts to sign up for, even though Oculus promised that this wouldn't happen.

Sources

[1] Hayden, Scott. "Meta Drops Forced Facebook Logins with Rollout of New Meta VR Accounts Today". RoadToVR. https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-facebook-forced-logins-quest-2/

[2] Newman, Jared. "7 Promises Oculus Made After Getting Bought by Facebook". Time. https://time.com/38366/here-are-7-promises-oculus-has-made-after-getting-bought-by-facebook/

Good. Facebook rendered headsets useless by banning user accounts for stuff that had nothing to do with VR and happened on Facebook itself.
That and all the people who made the mistake of reactivating a facebook account on their new headset... Only for it to act as if they were banned because of how trash facebook is.

They never should've forced us to use a Facebook account when we had perfectly workable Oculus accounts. So now we're basically going back to how things were before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Good. Facebook rendered headsets useless by banning user accounts for stuff that had nothing to do with VR and happened on Facebook itself.
That and all the people who made the mistake of reactivating a facebook account on their new headset... Only for it to act as if they were banned because of how trash facebook is.

They never should've forced us to use a Facebook account when we had perfectly workable Oculus accounts. So now we're basically going back to how things were before.

Meta == Facebook, nothing has changed..... :old-dry:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This is actually a good move, not being forced to link your Facebook account like it was before is great, was pretty pissed that I had to do that to my legacy Oculus account, this is basically going back to how it was before.

Many users that created throwaway accounts for the Quest 2 got banned and essentially were left with a bricked VR Headset, haven't followed this state of affairs for a while so I don't know if there was a way to unbrick it and set it up new with another account, if not it would be nice to allow those users to migrate to the Meta ecosystem.

Was equally bullshit that if you ever got suspended from Facebook or you """""deleted""""" your Facebook you were left with a $400 paperweight.

I actually welcome this move.

The fastest way for the "Metaverse" to die, is for Facebook to keep overmonetizing the early concept before mass adoption. 

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

So why does a headset need an account?

Because Metaverse. Facebook wants your Facebook account to be you:

• Make its own zuck bucks (company scrip) with convenient bundles you can buy in $
  • Have you work in a digital office and be paid in zuck bucks
  • Wearing avatar skins, that are ADS for companies Facebook is paid for in $, but you buy for zuck bucks
  • Have you browse a virtual mall and buy goods with zuck bucks
  • Have you participate in Facebook concerts, see movies and entertainmentent paid for in zuck buck subscriptions (hundreds of them)
  • Of course, the VR set and virtual real estate tax is sold for in $

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Meta == Facebook, nothing has changed..... :old-dry:

Yes, but now if something happens to the "facebook" account itself, at least it won't render your headset useless, as it did for many users in the past.
Just wish they had stayed with Oculus accounts instead of doing this whole crap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Yes, but now if something happens to the "facebook" account itself, at least it won't render your headset useless, as it did for many users in the past.

Its still a facebook account, just because they attempting to rebrand it wont change the rotten company behind it. They still have the power to effectively kill your device with the mandatory online account requirement......

And surprised were....... Hopefully no one.

But I know there are still some, I put this lightly, mentally challenged people who still hold trust that there is still something left from the modern VR pioneer Oculus somewhere there in the darkest abyss of Facebook. Seriously, everyone with 2 mummified grey brain cells left knew from the moment Oculus was bought by Facebook that whatever came from that would be just a datahoarding tool and it would take just couple of years and your VR profile would be merged to your Facebook profile and you would be forced to accept that fact.

And, kids, repeat after me: "Facebooks bread will always be you, their butter the data from you and their pepperoni serving ads for you."

And with that in mind, you will always think twice before buying anything including any kind of camera from Facebook (yes, I refuse to call it Meta, it was Facebook and while they can rebrand it to "Saint Mary And Her Helping Hands That Want No Harm", they will always be Facebook)

On 8/30/2022 at 8:57 AM, TrigrH said:

My monitor doesn't need an account.

My android phone doesn't need an account. (Play store only allows updates not installations if you do this)

So why does a headset need an account?

Bad analogy. Quest 2 is primarily a standalone headset, pcvr is an afterthought.

I don't know what you would exactly do with the headset if you couldn't download any games on it tbh.

Add to the fact that Meta was selling it under marketprice to make up marketshare, and is gaining the money back through their store. Sounds similar? (PS, XBOX)

Quest 2 is a gaming console like any other, You need an account for a Switch, Steam, Xbox, PS etc, so i don't understand how this is any different.

I don't see you complaining about having to create a steam account to buy steam games for the Steam handset, or having to have PS account for the Playstation.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

27 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Bad analogy. Quest 2 is primarily a standalone headset, pcvr is an afterthought.

I don't know what you would exactly do with the headset if you couldn't download any games on it tbh.

Add to the fact that Meta was selling it under marketprice to make up marketshare, and is gaining the money back through their store. Sounds similar? (PS, XBOX)

Quest 2 is a gaming console like any other, You need an account for a Switch, Steam, Xbox, PS etc, so i don't understand how this is any different.

I don't see you complaining about having to create a steam account to buy steam games for the Steam handset, or having to have PS account for the Playstation.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Console makers are equally as bad and you can use a steam deck without steam and even uninstall steam if you want it that way.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>