Someone take Linus' phone away from him or disable his twitter

Aluminumhaste
35 minutes ago, fpo said:

Don't feed the trolls: Navigating free expression in the digital age | KPCC  - NPR News for Southern California - 89.3 FM

Are you directing that at us or Linus?

I'm tired of the expectation of pandering to the weak, "We at Linus Media Group are sorry that you are dissatisfied with our product that you've never owned, and we owe you an apology. We can do better." Screw that, let him have a voice. Maybe dudes that built one PC who were born after 2000 and couldn't break 20in lbs on the torque tester want to tweet hashtags about their expertise on driver value, but people like me with many years of real world IT welcome these tiny improvements on a driver. By now we're in the field, making a decent living and 70 bucks for a driver is worth it because we're too damn old to settle for bits falling out of the shaft, no clever bit organization, a ratchet mechanism that reverses it if your hand moves past the handle. Seriously, just buy the Amazon Basics driver, and have at it. Me, I'll buy this, and actually use it, and I'm glad that Linus is being a pain in the a*s, he earned it before you whining millennials were even born.

3 hours ago, castlev said:

I'm tired of the expectation of pandering to the weak, "We at Linus Media Group are sorry that you are dissatisfied with our product that you've never owned, and we owe you an apology. We can do better." Screw that, let him have a voice. Maybe dudes that built one PC who were born after 2000 and couldn't break 20in lbs on the torque tester want to tweet hashtags about their expertise on driver value, but people like me with many years of real world IT welcome these tiny improvements on a driver. By now we're in the field, making a decent living and 70 bucks for a driver is worth it because we're too damn old to settle for bits falling out of the shaft, no clever bit organization, a ratchet mechanism that reverses it if your hand moves past the handle. Seriously, just buy the Amazon Basics driver, and have at it. Me, I'll buy this, and actually use it, and I'm glad that Linus is being a pain in the a*s, he earned it before you whining millennials were even born.

the new hot thing is to hate on something.

i am getting hate on.

for simple saying

always do more than 1 source for research!!!!!   that quote gotten a ton of hate. this year.

never before. but for this year

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

8 hours ago, castlev said:

[blah blah blah]

I'd say "okay boomer" but you'd give us boomers a bad name.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, Dedayog said:

Well since LTT doesn't make screwdrivers, how do I get a good grasp of the quality without knowing the manufacturer?  Trust Linus?  No thank you, especially in an industry that has to know these things, like how we talk about RAM, PSU's, GPU's, etc.  Lots of vendors, and it all boils down to manufacturer.

You going to go and inspect the factory once you find out? 😅

55 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Must have taken you a while to express your hurt feelings on your Amazon Basics keyboard 🤣

13 minutes ago, castlev said:

Must have taken you a while to express your hurt feelings on your Amazon Basics keyboard 🤣

Logitech G513.

10 hours ago, castlev said:

Linus IS a millennial. (unless i messed up his birth year). We were those who were kids in the late 80s and through the 90s.

Of you are going to spew that prejudiced nonsense, at least use the correct labels. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

19 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

Linus IS a millennial. (unless i messed up his birth year). We were those who were kids in the late 80s and through the 90s.

Of you are going to spew that prejudiced nonsense, at least use the correct labels. 

If you read carefully you would see that I was talking about post 2000 millennials, and specifically those with little to no work experience in IT, who are complaining about Linus violating their safe spaces. I'm guessing your head exploded because your feeling were hurt so badly.

10 minutes ago, castlev said:

If you read carefully you would see that I was talking about post 2000 millennials, and specifically those with little to no work experience in IT, who are complaining about Linus violating their safe spaces. I'm guessing your head exploded because your feeling were hurt so badly.

There are no post 2000 millennial xD

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

There are no post 2000 millennial xD

True, some people get sensitive about labels, post 2000 Gen Z and later, there ya go.

36 minutes ago, castlev said:

True, some people get sensitive about labels, post 2000 Gen Z and later, there ya go.

True, you certainly seem to focus a lot on labels and what qualities and flaws you can claim to attribute to people based on when they were born, given your initial tirade about them millennials born after 2000 😉

Edit - I should add, that i don't actually disagree on the subject of people complaining too much about Linus defending his screwdriver. He should be allowed to defend himself, his company and products. It was just your tirade that rubbed me alle the wrong ways 🙂

5 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

True, you certainly seem to focus a lot on labels and what qualities and flaws you can claim to attribute to people based on when they were born, given your initial tirade about them millennials born after 2000 😉

Hardly, if so I would have complained about being misrepresented as a boomer but I don't care, besides, I like them. You clearly missed the point of my post but yes, certain qualities can be attributed to people based on when they were born, part of the reason why generational labels exist. This is my 7th post on this site, and my "tirade" has already received 5 likes, while your obvious expressions of offended feelings have received zero. So yea, there's that 😀

Just now, castlev said:

Hardly, if so I would have complained about being misrepresented as a boomer but I don't care, besides, I like them. You clearly missed the point of my post but yes, certain qualities can be attributed to people based on when they were born, part of the reason why generational labels exist. This is my 7th post on this site, and my "tirade" has already received 5 likes, while your obvious expressions of offended feelings have received zero. So yea, there's that 😀

Don't care about likes. Im not even offended. I did add an edit above, saying that i actually agree with you in terms of Linus being allowed to answer. 

But also, your whole "them millennials" is just so.... Dunno... Old, annoying, plain wrong... That it made me want to poke you for it. 

Anyway, it's evening over here and ice got a jogging trip awaiting. 

Its been fun. Have a good night. 

19 minutes ago, castlev said:

This is my 7th post on this site, and my "tirade" has already received 5 likes

6rnqkn.jpg

It also doesn't necessarily mean they agreed with everything you said. Just some of it.

Edit: Since I had another reason to post in this thread, @fpoI think you meant this on the last page.

Spoiler

image.png.903ba6502a6e2faadbc750f7b447624c.png

IYKYK

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 8/29/2022 at 2:57 PM, LWM723 said:

The majority of China made goods are of lower quality, hence the low prices. Anyone denying that is just fooling themselves.

So I guess because the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy phones are made in china they're lower quality tha...
oh wait

Everything is made in China. How can everything be lower quality than everything?

I think what you're looking for is products designed in China are lower quality. That I can get behind.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

6rnqkn.jpg

It also doesn't necessarily mean they agreed with everything you said. Just some of it.

Edit: Since I had another reason to post in this thread, @fpoI think you meant this on the last page.

Hide contents

image.png.903ba6502a6e2faadbc750f7b447624c.png

IYKYK

It's an owl!

Eh. Took a look at most of the comments you see upon opening it and most of them seem to complain about the price. Not surprising. There's lots of people that don't understand premium things, and a lot of LTT's younger audience probably has no desire (or really, use) for a $70 screwdriver.

I don't see why you'd feel embarrassment for someone else, just because you follow their content. They're not connected to you, have no relation to you, and don't know you exist. They're nothing to you, you're nothing to them. Period.

I don't see this as negatively affecting them that much. He's standing up for his product. Good on him.

Now, if you can point out to specific tweets that devolve into something worse, giv'er.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:23 AM, Dedayog said:

Oh we just call that life.  Shit gets intense at times. 

Did he ever say who actually makes the screwdriver set?

Yes, Megapro.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:24 AM, tkitch said:

no, I think they're specifically not saying who made it.  

They have. Megapro.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:34 AM, LWM723 said:

It's probably made in China, like most stuff.

Wrong.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:36 AM, Dedayog said:

You do realize that things made in China aren't automatically bad?  We need to know WHO makes it under WHAT processes, not where.   

I want to know if IFixIt makes it, and it's similar to their XYZ model.  Or SnapOn makes it and it's like their BVF model.

Otherwise it's just a standard screwdriver that you can buy anywhere and all the lemmings are just that.

Does iFixIt make it's own stuff? I'd highly doubt that. They send it away, just like virtually every other manufacturer.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, tkitch said:

We do know it's made in china.  He's said that much, but that's not  good or bad, that's just where a LOT of this stuff is made.  

He's said parts of it are are sent to China. Enough of it is done here that it could be labelled as Made In Canada.

23 hours ago, Aluminumhaste said:

If your fanboyism is so bad that you can't see why this is such a bad look, that's not great.

People at my work who know I'm a fan of LTT have been texting me about this, telling me he's coming off like a douche who has no faith in his own products.

Like potential customers being completely turned off because of this whole debacle with first the warranty thing, and now this.

You can say he's doing fine, but from outsiders, he's really not. Would be much better to just let the haters stew and let the product reviews prove them all wrong.

I highly doubt that, or you work with people of a very young mental maturity. I also don't believe that potential customers are being turned away. It just went live, and they've already sold 10,000. Even if it did turn away a small handful, oh well. Doesn't really affect much in the long run. You will never please everyone, and trying will simply end in complete failure. Correcting people spreading misinformation can be pretty important, and it can result in more lost sales since there's no blowback from the retailer.

11 hours ago, dogwitch said:

the new hot thing is to hate on something.

i am getting hate on.

for simple saying

always do more than 1 source for research!!!!!   that quote gotten a ton of hate. this year.

never before. but for this year

It's not a new thing on the LTT forum, they love to bandwagon on joining the current hate train. For the past couple of years it's been Intel.

6 hours ago, Erioch said:

I don't follow.

5 hours ago, castlev said:

Well that devolved quickly.

1 hour ago, gergy008 said:

So I guess because the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy phones are made in china they're lower quality tha...
oh wait

Everything is made in China. How can everything be lower quality than everything?

I think what you're looking for is products designed in China are lower quality. That I can get behind.

Completely disagree. Lots of stuff designed in China is of exceptional quality. Just look at the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2.

Beats the Samsung in almost every design regard.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yes, Megapro.

They have. Megapro.

Not exactly:
Megapro's use a completely different handle and ratchet.  Yes, they worked with megapro, but they didn't use a megapro design in the final product.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Eh. Took a look at most of the comments you see upon opening it and most of them seem to complain about the price. Not surprising. There's lots of people that don't understand premium things, and a lot of LTT's younger audience probably has no desire (or really, use) for a $70 screwdriver.

I have to question what exactly makes their screwdriver more "premium" than say a Snapon or an iFixit driver, besides the "trust me bro" its a premium screw driver.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yes, Megapro.

Nope, LMG only got the initial design from Megapro, the ratcheting mechanism is completely different from a Megapro screwdriver, and LMG refusing to say who exactly makes it is a bit suspect, although i'm not a diehard fan to carelessly drop $70 on a branded screwdriver.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

He's said parts of it are are sent to China. Enough of it is done here that it could be labelled as Made In Canada.

Unless they're making at least the handle and driver shaft in Canada, although unless the whole thing is made in Canada I think assembled in Canada would be more appropriate.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's not a new thing on the LTT forum, they love to bandwagon on joining the current hate train. For the past couple of years it's been Intel.

Well LMG hasn't been exactly doing themselves any favors of having a good outlook as a business, LMG definitely needs a PR person because first it was the adblocking controversy, the warranty policy, and now Linus accusing anyone that questions a product a hater. Although I don't look at twitter and could care less, twitter is for the most part a dumpster fire anyway.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Completely disagree. Lots of stuff designed in China is of exceptional quality. Just look at the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2.

Beats the Samsung in almost every design regard.

Comparing a smartphone to a screwdriver isn't exactly a fair comparison IMO, a lot of tools made in China are bad quality.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Sometimes you can't convince people otherwise. I have a lot of ratchets... the ones I gravitate towards are always my Snap on ratchets due to how they feel, and the ratchet mechanism. I will gladly pay the strap on tax for that. Same with screwdrivers. I've tried Mac, Matco, Snap on. I always choose my Snap on drivers.

Pic of said ratchets, ignore the imperial reject corner.

image.thumb.png.694b7bc761da35f17982a4c6377bda74.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

45 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Unless they're making at least the handle and driver shaft in Canada, although unless the whole thing is made in Canada I think assembled in Canada would be more appropriate.

Handle is molded and Final Assembly is in Canada. There's also another part manufactured in canada but I can't remember off the top of my head (Where everything is made was said in either a WAN or the popup shop stream but I can't find it at the moment). IIRC Ratchet is China, Bits and bit holder is Taiwan and shaft is turned in Canada. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

They have said it does qualify for made in canada branding but they haven't gone down the route of official certification. 

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Not exactly:
Megapro's use a completely different handle and ratchet.  Yes, they worked with megapro, but they didn't use a megapro design in the final product.

The lttstoredotcom page has this disclaimer:

"USING PATENTS FROM MEGAPRO TOOLS INC.: 5,265,504 & 7,258,046"

It looks like both of those patents are on the slide-out bit holder mechanism, not the ratchet:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5265504A/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7258046B2/en

That's probably why companies like Wiha have their weird angled arrangement. Older Snap-On drivers just had a screw cap and a cavity to store loose bits in, so you had to dump them all out. (I kind of liked that though.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

21 minutes ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

Handle is molded and Final Assembly is in Canada. There's also another part manufactured in canada but I can't remember off the top of my head (Where everything is made was said in either a WAN or the popup shop stream but I can't find it at the moment). IIRC Ratchet is China, Bits and bit holder is Taiwan and shaft is turned in Canada. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

They have said it does qualify for made in canada branding but they haven't gone down the route of official certification. 

If that is the case then fair enough, the shaft being made in Canada is nice, too many changeable bit screwdrivers made in China have terrible tolerance on bits fitting into the shaft. I think they should go for the made in Canada branding, it would probably benefit them in sales of the screwdriver.