Someone take Linus' phone away from him or disable his twitter

Aluminumhaste
39 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The lttstoredotcom page has this disclaimer:

"USING PATENTS FROM MEGAPRO TOOLS INC.: 5,265,504 & 7,258,046"

It looks like both of those patents are on the slide-out bit holder mechanism, not the ratchet:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5265504A/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7258046B2/en

That's probably why companies like Wiha have their weird angled arrangement. Older Snap-On drivers just had a screw cap and a cavity to store loose bits in, so you had to dump them all out. (I kind of liked that though.)

They talk about it in the Short Circuit Livestream:

They did license the Megapro ratchet, but changed enough that it's no longer their ratchet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 8:48 PM, dizmo said:

Completely disagree. Lots of stuff designed in China is of exceptional quality. Just look at the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2.

Beats the Samsung in almost every design regard.

So you agree with me then - because he was saying that the screwdriver is bad simply because it's made in china. You can't disagree that products designed in China are bad, because products designed in china generally are lower quality. Would you buy a Chinese-designed motorcycle or a German-designed one?

I can imply that the German designed motorbike is better. Not guaranteed, but highly likely.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

On 8/30/2022 at 9:16 PM, Blademaster91 said:

If that is the case then fair enough, the shaft being made in Canada is nice, too many changeable bit screwdrivers made in China have terrible tolerance on bits fitting into the shaft. I think they should go for the made in Canada branding, it would probably benefit them in sales of the screwdriver.

I think he said he considered it but either didn't want to bother paying for the certification or maybe it was to do with the fact that other LTT products wouldn't meet the branding?

On 8/29/2022 at 6:57 AM, LWM723 said:

The majority of China made goods are of lower quality, hence the low prices. Anyone denying that is just fooling themselves.

As far as I know, the LTT Screwdriver is only partially made in China. Enough of it is made in Canada though that they can legally say that it's "Made in Canada" I suppose.

I would think it doesn't matter where something comes from. The screwdriver could be made in a deep dark wet cave in the Appalachian Mountains, as long as it's good quality I see no reason why it would matter. Although the price is a bit high, the Screwdriver does appear to be of good quality. Also, keep in mind there's a big difference between "Designed in China" and "Made in China". 

Not everything Made in China is automatically "bad". They make a lot of good stuff, and a lot of not so good stuff. iPhones (or their parts more specifically) are largely made in China. Most would say that iPhones are of good quality. You also have places like Amazon, where if you for example, search for a Mic Boom Arm, you'll get 400 "different" results for the same exact garbage product, just with a different company name plastered onto it. All those Mic Boom Arms are made in China (can confirm because I bought one). 

The point I'm getting at is people are more likely to remember a bad product over a good one. So, when they get a bad product, they see it's made in China and associate it with "poor quality", but when they get a good product, they don't even bat an eye of where it's made. There's a reason people don't review products unless they hated said product and wanted to be heard by the company.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"