Gamers Nexus calling out Linus for monetizing on his own controversy

Stahlmann
4 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

If GN's niche was outdoor gear, it would've been fine, but they didn't criticize LTT's tech reviews or methodology. They went after the backpack to hurt Linus in the wallet after he encroached on their testing niche.

They never really went after the backpack imo. Just the lack of warranty. GN is not a tool or outdoor gear tester so they'll probably not review LTT's products. Still, calling a tech company out for doing anti-consumer business is what they do. Be it Gigabyte for selling exploding PSUs or LTT for making fun of their own community. If Gigabyte woul've sold a burning PSU shirt GN would also go after them. Not because they're an apparel reviewer all of a sudden, but because it was a tech company doing something bad.

That's what you fail to understand right now: It's not really about a bad product, but a poor decision made by a tech company followed by mocking the community while playing down legitimate concerns.

The point of the video section was to make it clear that LTT has grown big enough that GN needs to treat them fairly as they would other big tech companies. That doesn't mean GN declared war on LTT or the other way around. Afaik GN and LTT are still friendly with each other and if both parties can behave professional that shouldn't be a problem going forward.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Lurking said:

I don't think Steve/GN needs defending..... I think they are extremely honest, provide us a great service (being critical and not being paid off). They also are very knowledgeable in the field they report on. But they also state when they think someone else is more knowledgeable. I always like seeing Steve as one refreshing honest face on YT. 

Steve also does a great job including all his staff that worked on videos. Like they switch over to the person who tested a specific feature etc. it is a team effort and Steve doesn't pretend overwise. My impression is, whoever worked on a specific test also appears in the video at some point.

I'm a bit puzzled that some people don't like GN. That is fine, just don't watch it. But the haters take the time to watch their videos and try to find out if every person was credited. And they look at their job postings and whatever. If I don't like a YT channel, I just don't watch it. I don't get obsessed and watch all their videos to find a flaw, or look at their job postings. 

I generally like GN and Steve, but he does serve with quite an amount of salt, which may rub some people the wrong way.
My biggest issue with him was how many "shockumentary" effects he put into his Artisian Builds vid.
I mean, it was solid journalism, so why dip it in the deepfryer of cheap tv effects to increase the drama? Maybe its an American thing im too European to understand, but that really annoyed me, especially because i really liked the content of that vid.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

I generally like GN and Steve, but he does serve with quite an amount of salt, which may rub some people the wrong way.
My biggest issue with him was how many "shockumentary" effects he put into his Artisian Builds vid.
I mean, it was solid journalism, so why dip it in the deepfryer of cheap tv effects to increase the drama? Maybe its an American thing im too European to understand, but that really annoyed me, especially because i really liked the content of that vid.

Agreed, I don't like added drama. I think it is their way to play the YT algorithm, or be more mainstream. I don't think they need to add that since the content is strong enough. I don't want to excuse it, just explain. I also think their main viewers are people that want more in-depth. So the superficial effects may be worse for viewer/subscriber numbers. 

I do notice they keep changing and adjusting the format. So I hope that is one of the fields of future improvements. And I say this with love. 

Drama is a USA thing. Even Canada is more European. In Europe/Canada the news would report "rain", in the US the same rain is a "storm". Every time it is a bit windy, the tornado sirens come on and the phone blows up with alerts. Those 24/7 news channels also don't help. Everything is "breaking news", even if the news is that nothing new has been reported. 

Edit: to proof my point, my workplace just sent me an email with a warning of an upcoming storm. I go over the weather forecast and see the wind speed prediction: 16 km/h (10 mph). This is a far cry from Wizzard of Oz tornado. In Europe no one would ever mention that there was "weather". 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

50 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Agreed, I don't like added drama. I think it is their way to play the YT algorithm, or be more mainstream. I don't think they need to add that since the content is strong enough. I don't want to excuse it, just explain. I also think their main viewers are people that want more in-depth. So the superficial effects may be worse for viewer/subscriber numbers. 

I do notice they keep changing and adjusting the format. So I hope that is one of the fields of future improvements. And I say this with love. 

Drama is a USA thing. Even Canada is more European. In Europe/Canada the news would report "rain", in the US the same rain is a "storm". Every time it is a bit windy, the tornado sirens come on and the phone blows up with alerts. Those 24/7 news channels also don't help. Everything is "breaking news", even if the news is that nothing new has been reported. 

Edit: to proof my point, my workplace just sent me an email with a warning of an upcoming storm. I go over the weather forecast and see the wind speed prediction: 16 km/h (10 mph). This is a far cry from Wizzard of Oz tornado. In Europe no one would ever mention that there was "weather". 

oh no some wind...(i live in fl). just a normal day.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

GN was right to call out Linus for creating then profiteering from said drama imho. Linus (and LMG in general) has a long history of being above board with their viewers and customers. But that doesn't excuse expecting customers to accept a vague unwritten warranty statement on an unreviewed luxury item. Hopefully Linus will review the GN video closely enough to see Luke's genuine frustration in his body language- they are long time friends and Luke saying it's fine doesn't always mean it's fine. Trust but verify is a very true statement.

-

Yes, i realize I am way late to this discussion.

I'm here for the org..?

5 hours ago, starsmine said:

Also calling out mukracking as gotcha journalism is asinine. 

OK.  So, we agree GN is muckraking.

We disagree on motive, but that's fine.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X • ASUS TUF x570-Plus • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 - 64GB • MSI Radeon RX 6750XT MECH 2X OC w/12GB • bequiet! Pure Base 600 case • Crucial T500 NVMe 1TB (boot / app), P5+ NVMe 500GB (cache / scratch), Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 4TB x2 (RAID 1 for long-term storage), LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray/DVD/CD Internal SATA R/W Drive • bequiet! Dark Power 13 1000W • 2x 27" ASUS ProArt PA278QV • bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 & bequiet! Silent Wings case fans • Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard • Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse • Logitech S220 w/subwoofer, Sennheiser HD 414 headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS StreamSet headset • Windows 11 (insider builds)

6 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

Is a $250 backpack. So what?  Is it overpriced? Maybe.  But so is a $100 rubber mat with some printing on it.

Which always had a warranty? The issue is you can get a bag from reputable company’s for as much or less with a lifetime warranty 

6 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

Ah, sounds like you're an Apple fan. Of course, you see Rossman as a heretic. No, a screen fix is not "right to repair." It's a bone they throw you to keep you and the legislators quiet.

Or I’m an electrical technician who knows what they’re talking about. Board repair is fucking shit. It’s very cheap and easy to do but it’s weak and will never be as strong as a replacement part which is why literally everyone in the fucking world only does board repair when spare parts aren’t available or they’re waiting on parts and the equipment has to stay up in the meantime. Rossman also charges a fuckton for a shit repair that maybe costs $5 plus an hours time and is poorly executed even by board level standards. 

6 hours ago, IPD said:

This is where you start to lose credibility.

Right to repair doesn't mean that a company simply offers better "1st party repair options".  It means that the end-user has the ability to DIY repair it with OEM spec parts.  Moreover, Louis has acknowledged problems with repair quality due to being unable to source legitimate parts (eg. Apple touchscreens) and having to use 3rd party parts.

No it doesn’t. A company has no obligation to provide parts and nor should it. Especially with shit that can kill people. 

6 hours ago, IPD said:

You are most certainly a rabid Apple fan.  I hope that someday you will be able to pull the blinders off and touch real grass.

No I’m a technician who is at least competent unlike Rossman who’s fucking inept. 

1 minute ago, Imbadatnames said:

No it doesn’t. A company has no obligation to provide parts and nor should it. Especially with shit that can kill people. 

No I’m a technician who is at least competent unlike Rossman who’s fucking inept. 

Damn, I feel like you just proved yourself incompetent with those two posts.

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

muckraking... is a good thing.... I'm not using it as a pejorative. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muckraker

As someone who worked in the field for a number of years (at real, "legacy media" publications), I'll tell you that no serious reporter sees "muckraker" as a compliment.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X • ASUS TUF x570-Plus • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 - 64GB • MSI Radeon RX 6750XT MECH 2X OC w/12GB • bequiet! Pure Base 600 case • Crucial T500 NVMe 1TB (boot / app), P5+ NVMe 500GB (cache / scratch), Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 4TB x2 (RAID 1 for long-term storage), LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray/DVD/CD Internal SATA R/W Drive • bequiet! Dark Power 13 1000W • 2x 27" ASUS ProArt PA278QV • bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 & bequiet! Silent Wings case fans • Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard • Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse • Logitech S220 w/subwoofer, Sennheiser HD 414 headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50xSTS StreamSet headset • Windows 11 (insider builds)

Louis is a great dude. Whether he’s the best or worst at what he does is up for people to decide based on reviews and longevity of his repairs. I think his quality of repair is well reviewed. 

Also the price reflects the location - NY is expensive he has talked about this and many other things in length. I truly respect his transparency on all stances even if I don’t always have to agree with all his stances. 

The right to repair stance and advocacy are one of his most notable and best stances. Right to repair simply is a movement to allow users to have the choice of repair - be it official repair service, third party or even DIY and that is great. Having parts and schematics available should be the norm not the exception for anything that could be serviceable. This would include some tools too in an ideal world. 

Things seem to be getting a bit heated and personal, and I've seen a few comments calling people a troll or fanboy just because they have a different opinion. I think everyone just needs to step back for a moment. This is a thread discussing Gamers Nexus' coverage of the backpack warranty drama which has been a pretty hotly debated topic in the community; people will have different opinions and it's okay for people to share those opinions. Arguing that people's opinions are wrong or dismissing their opinions saying that they must just be a fanboy is not going to validate your own opinion. Just chill, share your own opinions, but also allow the opportunity for others to express their opinions without attacking them for it.

• Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

42 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

I feel like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the "right to repair" movement is all about.

48 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Nobody's asking PSU Companies to provide replacement capacitors.  That'd be assinine to expect.

But, Apple not offering batteries, lightning connectors, screens, etc. to repair shops to fix stuff?  Yeah, that's apple being assholes, especially since repairing tech in the USA is protected by federal law.

5 hours ago, Lurking said:

Hey now, not to bikeshed, but the tornado sirens in the central plains are only set off when there is at least a radar-confirmed tornadic circulation, and that's at minimum showing 65-85 mph surface level winds. I don't believe there are tornado sirens everywhere in the US, but we take it pretty seriously in the midwest, and most people would if they saw the damage even an EF0 or EF1 can do in seconds...

26 minutes ago, geerlingguy said:

Hey now, not to bikeshed, but the tornado sirens in the central plains... 

Hey! I learned a new word: bikeshedding. Never heard that one before. 🙂

Sadly, my screen-tired eyes saw the second part of your sentence as "tomato sirens" and I thought you were going into some rant filled with old-timey slang terms. "Ya see... We was bikeshedding until the tomato sirens started blaring and we realized it was applesauce, so we gave our Abercrombie of a boss a knuckle sandwich and skeedaddled." 

29 minutes ago, MAXBattle said:

Hey! I learned a new word: bikeshedding. Never heard that one before. 🙂

Sadly, my screen-tired eyes saw the second part of your sentence as "tomato sirens" and I thought you were going into some rant filled with old-timey slang terms. "Ya see... We was bikeshedding until the tomato sirens started blaring and we realized it was applesauce, so we gave our Abercrombie of a boss a knuckle sandwich and skeedaddled." 

If you ignore the Mariana alert from the tomato sirens, you'll get arrested by the gazpacho.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

32 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you ignore the Mariana alert from the tomato sirens, you'll get arrested by the gazpacho.

He'll have to ask for Mother's permission first.

836212904_proxy-image(Small).png.caf644b546cc989e5a53df90cb0d4a07.png

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

16 hours ago, tkitch said:

Nobody's asking PSU Companies to provide replacement capacitors.  That'd be assinine to expect.

But, Apple not offering batteries, lightning connectors, screens, etc. to repair shops to fix stuff?  Yeah, that's apple being assholes, especially since repairing tech in the USA is protected by federal law.

Disassembling electrics poses a serious risk to health. I can see why companies do not want want people poking sharp metal objects into them. 

17 hours ago, IPD said:

I feel like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the "right to repair" movement is all about.

I think you have a misunderstanding what right to repair is and what “right to repair” is for business’s looking to profit from it

17 hours ago, starsmine said:

Damn, I feel like you just proved yourself incompetent with those two posts.

Sure dude sure. Trust the dude that set himself on fire by not knowing what he’s doing. 

5 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

I think you have a misunderstanding what right to repair is and what “right to repair” is for business’s looking to profit from it

Profit is irrelevant.  Right to Repair is Right to Repair.  Doesn't matter how you personally feel a company should profit off its own goods post-sale.

If I had to guess, I'd say you were probably a fan of BMW and others offering "rent" options on things like heated seats.

7 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Disassembling electrics poses a serious risk to health. I can see why companies do not want want people poking sharp metal objects into them. 

You're at equal risk to your health opening a bag of chips to "poking around" in a cellphone. It's very disingenuous to sweep all electronic devices under the same rug of equivalent danger. This isn't even debatable, it's literally in laws and legislation and why electrical certifications exist (of different grades).

Electronic devices can, have and are made to be user serviceable, even mains voltage supplied devices, and there are standards and guidelines for this.

Not allowing consumer repair is a choice not a safety risk. Generally at best it's a choice through laziness, hence why legislation may be required to move that needle towards the consumer.

Consumer repair comes in two forms; self repair and professional service. Both, one or the other should always be an option with fair and reasonable restriction of the original manufacturer on who and how that work is carried out i.e. device warranty. If said manufacturer wants to keep repairs "in network" then offer a superior or cheaper service than "out of network".

Fun.

People yelling at the hosts, the choices and whatsoever... But not a word to the company. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂