Gamers Nexus calling out Linus for monetizing on his own controversy

Stahlmann
34 minutes ago, Dr_Whom said:

The only thing I've learned from all of this is that it's good to know that if I ever become internet famous I'll never have to worry about paying for therapy, consultants, or lawyers because there's apparently thousands of extremely well qualified people on the Internet that are happy to do it for free.

It's called feedback. If you've ever had a job you should be familiar with it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, MAXBattle said:

You brought up the show. And there is no interesting backstory to this. If anything, a person that would blow $250 on a backpack isn't sympathetic.

You also brought CGA into the conversation. It is utterly irrelevant. The only people the warranty helps are Canadians - and I provided the link to the Canadian government's own website that says a Canadian may have to sue to enforce.

Of course I brought up the show, to point out lawyers and legal action is not necessary, it's called an example 🤦‍♂️

Also no warranties apply outside of the country of origin, that is entirely dependent on laws of the land. Since here our consumer protection is extreme strong I would have a lot of avenues to go down, but as you say getting a foreign entity to show up at all is difficult but that isn't really any more of an issue even for within Canada because you could equally be summarily ignored.

Some kind of public pressure is usually the most effective, hence why people do it and why it's so common. Trivial matters don't go anywhere any other way almost always. Which was the entire point of my post, not to discuss the specific examples like the show or our CGA. Next time have more of a look at what and why something is said otherwise your replies are going to make no sense to any actual points being discussed.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, djenson said:

Dang.. If only there was things such as service manuals warning of certain dangers during different repairs and providing instructions on how to complete the repair.

Embarrassing. 

That doesn’t stop people jamming a piece of metal into a capacitor and killing the selves does it? 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, Erioch said:

By that "logic", no one should be allowed to work on their own car, which can do far more damage to them and everyone around them.

Or replace a light switch, FFS.

People shouldn’t be allowed to work on safety critical equipment like brakes without being qualified. 

You can literally just kill power to a switch in a house. You can’t guarantee a PSU is discharged or a battery won’t set on fire 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, leadeater said:

You're at equal risk to your health opening a bag of chips to "poking around" in a cellphone. It's very disingenuous to sweep all electronic devices under the same rug of equivalent danger. This isn't even debatable, it's literally in laws and legislation and why electrical certifications exist (of different grades).

Crisps are known to ignite when poked? Need to me. Most electronics pose a risk to life especially when they contain LiPo batteries or integrated power delivery. As most “right to repair” arguments are regarding items that pose a significant risk of injury then it is fair to lump it in. 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, leadeater said:

Electronic devices can, have and are made to be user serviceable, even mains voltage supplied devices, and there are standards and guidelines for this.

Not allowing consumer repair is a choice not a safety risk. Generally at best it's a choice through laziness, hence why legislation may be required to move that needle towards the consumer.

Consumer repair comes in two forms; self repair and professional service. Both, one or the other should always be an option with fair and reasonable restriction of the original manufacturer on who and how that work is carried out i.e. device warranty. If said manufacturer wants to keep repairs "in network" then offer a superior or cheaper service than "out of network".

This is literally the system we have now. But that isn’t what the right to repair mob want. 

10 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

That doesn’t stop people jamming a piece of metal into a capacitor and killing the selves does it? 

As already mentioned, this is a stupid argument. People are able to determine themselves what's dangerous and what's not. If you are seriously suggesting that this is a major risk that right to repair will cause you are delusional. I can go and put windscreen washer fluid in my braid fluid reservoir if I want, I can buy a load of 18650's use them on my open fire. I can buy a 100W laser module and point it in my eye. Do I need go on? 

Other than this being very off-topic from the original thread, the whole premise of what you are saying is mind boggling and you seem to be unable to see the point of R2R - Its worthless even debating this with you. 

20 minutes ago, djenson said:

As already mentioned, this is a stupid argument. People are able to determine themselves what's dangerous and what's not. If you are seriously suggesting that this is a major risk that right to repair will cause you are delusional. I can go and put windscreen washer fluid in my braid fluid reservoir if I want, I can buy a load of 18650's use them on my open fire. I can buy a 100W laser module and point it in my eye. Do I need go on? 

Aside from they can’t? There’s also a difference between going against a warning label which everything you’ve listed has against the actions you’ve described and legally acknowledge and allowing right to repair by the user. 

20 minutes ago, djenson said:

Other than this being very off-topic from the original thread, the whole premise of what you are saying is mind boggling and you seem to be unable to see the point of R2R - Its worthless even debating this with you. 

Your argument doesn’t actually make sense. 

1 hour ago, djenson said:

that why i never chime in. not worth time and such to talk to a person that is off the deep end.(i block said person)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

He's not only bad at names he's also bad at sticking to the topic of a discussion. What turn did he make to get to ranting against R2R? How the heck does he even rationalize it with one stupid example of repairing power supplies?

News flash - CRT TVs and similar electronics with built in high voltage supplies and components have been repaired for DECADES. The last decade many retro enthusiasts have even ventured and dabbed in it. You know what a common practice for those has been - having service manuals available from the get-go.

Has there been any movement against allowing users to repair their TV? No! Is there a warning label? Yes! Can you physically not get in and get electrocuted if you really wanted to? NO!

Just like with a PSU you still can open the damn box and poke a screwdriver. R2R is supposed to make it less likely due to there being more information about what to do and what not to do. You know, instructions, schematics, guides, parts etc. You can discharge capacitors, you can be provided tools and guides on how to. But leaving it as is just makes it more likely someone does a mistake and pays for it!

And I am sure there's a thread for R2R so let's not dwell on it more in this one.

I've been a Linus fan since his early days and I gotta say he has changed dramatically over the years. He's really become almost heartless in his salesmanship. I find myself rarely watching LMG stuff and I've unsubbed from all the channels except the main one because Linus has become almost unbearable to watch. He's just trying to sell us crap constanstly and he doesn't seem to care. I go to actual news sources now instead of all the influencer BS that LTT pushes. Linus and his crappy $250 backpack and $70 screwdriver sealed the deal for me. $90 hoodies?? Seriously? LTT has become a merch machine and nothing more. 

5950X | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 | ASUS Dark Hero | EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 Hybrid | ASUS PG27UQ & PG279Q | Dual Samsung 970 Evo+ 2TB | Corsair AX1600i | Corsair H150i Pro Capillex | Corsair 1000D

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 6:33 PM, Sprayingmango said:

I've been a Linus fan since his early days and I gotta say he has changed dramatically over the years. He's really become almost heartless in his salesmanship. I find myself rarely watching LMG stuff and I've unsubbed from all the channels except the main one because Linus has become almost unbearable to watch. He's just trying to sell us crap constanstly and he doesn't seem to care.

I agree there has been some change, but some people see it as growth. That's like saying you haven't learned or grown or become cynical in any aspects of life based on your experience for years and years; that's not normal. I can completely empathize with some of the stuff he's had to grow through, and the scope of all the things he's had to learn and deal with as his business has increased has made his patience and approach change over time.

That being said, I do agree that the fact that LTT Store is referenced in every video is a bit much. 

I go to actual news sources now instead of all the influencer BS that LTT pushes.

LTT doesn't do news. Unless you mean LMG, and maybe Techlinked? And I don't see what "influencer" things they are pushing when it comes to news, it's news.... There are plenty of other channels or websites to find news. 

Linus and his crappy $250 backpack and $70 screwdriver sealed the deal for me. $90 hoodies?? Seriously? LTT has become a merch machine and nothing more. 

This comment makes me think you've never actually shopped for things before. While the backup is definitely on the high side, there are plenty of worse options that cost as much or more. The screwdriver, as even shown in Project Farm was actually reasonable value, considering the competitors make more revenue than LMG as a whole, and their only focus is on products, not on videos, the Lab, etc...

And $90 hoodies. Again, have you been in a store before? Sure, a Walmart hoodie is fine and all, but if you go into Nike, or Puma, or Under Armor, even with their scale of production, they might have some cheaper options, but are consistently around that threshold and higher for prices.

• 2 months later...

After being a long time fan of both channels I'm pretty disappointed by Linus's response to this whole thing. I don't care so much about the warranty so much as the way Linus responded to the criticism, even with Luke there trying to reason with him. I feel like Linus really has a chip on his shoulder over this given that he never acknowledged the GN thing and after all these months I don't think he's so much as mentioned GN once, seemingly going out of his way to cite other channels instead on things that GN has reported on in depth.

16 minutes ago, Burgerbob said:

I don't think he's so much as mentioned GN once

He's mentioned them and their research on the WAN Show regarding the RTX 4090 adapters IIRC.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

• 8 months later...

Reading the post reminds me of the British press, they like somebody until they get successful.

If you don't like the way Linus does stuff then don't watch. 

Gamersnexus could talk  a glass eye to sleep, but that my personal opinion, yes Linus at times can be a f*ckwit but he is relatable. Everybody makes mistakes unless your Steve burke!!

Anybody want a bet with me that GN Linus video will be GNs most viewed video for the year?? If he was doing it for the good of the community then why doesn't he donate the earning from the video to a charity? Or has he done the Linus video for the old kerching!! 

Steve's gone after the biggest cash cow in the field!! How come he didn't go after jay for his GPU video etc ? 

Locked this old discussion thread from last year to prevent crossover and confusion from the more recent discussion topic.

If you're looking for the recent topic it can be found here:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450