See Spot Shoot - Viral Video shows Boston Dynamic Knockoff used as Weaponized Patrol

rcmaehl

Summary

Sharks Robot Dogs with frickin' lazah beams SMGs attached to their heads backs.

Media

Quotes

Have you seen the... the video where a robot dog fires an assault rifle? Vice traced the video back to a Russian... company founder named Alexander Atamanov, who uploaded both the video and a high-res image of the gun-dog-bot in March. It’s not clear it’s anything more than a gun strapped to an existing Unitree dogbot. He seems to enjoy playing with military equipment like APCs and attack helicopters. If you add how impractical this particular gun-dog combination seems — these kinds of robots are programmed to naturally perform all kinds of balanced motions and yet this one doesn’t seem to be compensating for basic recoil. Then again, one of this guy’s rivals in the flying rideable space happens to be Kalashnikov, the company behind the AK-47. A better moment to begin worrying might have been last October, when a company actually announced a robot dog with a gun that’s purpose-built for the task. Another possible moment... when last September that Iran’s top nuclear scientist was assassinated by a killer robot... controlled by a sniper over 1,000 miles away. Or last April, when the French army started testing Boston Dynamics’ robot dog Spot in combat scenarios. The world’s gradually coming to the realization that the technology really does already exist to turn robots into deadly weapons, and the really scary thought is that they could begin killing autonomously. But there is something particularly dastardly about man’s best friend potentially turning on us.

My thoughts

Excuse the "doomerism", It's only a matter of time before we see more and more armed robot videos like this. It just honestly feels a bit dastardly for them to be using robot dogs for that; Couldn't they at least use robot hippos or at least a cat would be more realistic.

Sources

Vice
The Verge (quote source)

Tweak Town

Edited by rcmaehl
s/Assault Rifle/SMG/

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

It's a bit useless at the minute.  Looks far too light to be able to compensate for the recoil..Efforts must be doubled!

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

41 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

assault rifles

its a SMG, looks like a PP19, defintly russian as the veichial is a Russian APC

4 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Looks far too light to be able to compensate for the recoil..Efforts must be doubled!

Yeah even more, that is 9MM

Too be fair the US dod has played around stuff like that since the late 90's early 2000's, But IDK what to say since this russian.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

First we had shotgun Roomba, now assault dog.  

Definitely bloc technology with the whole firing random bullets into the sky.

Robots and Cyborgs almost a reality

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I love robot quadrupeds, to me this type of platform will be the solution to many real world unstructured problems because the robot can pass obstacles much biggers compared to its size compared to wheels or tracks, and because it can naturally adjust its heading and balance, making it much more flexible (the controller is insanely hard to make).

Boston Dynamics is working more on industrial applications with Spot, and military cargo applications with Robot Dog.

Ghost Robotics is working on weaponized platforms. They are really getting into Black Mirror Metal Head territory.
image.jpeg.4a1a70b7b99f8326c4c86d745606fe35.jpeg

Below one of my robots, I'm modding a kickstarter called Mini Pupper, our community is helping the creator with the development of V2.

Would have expected a rusky robot to be armed with a nuke. Not a weak sauce gun

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, sub68 said:

looks like a PP19

What this likely is, is a KP-9 and definitely not a PP19, Mr. Call of Duty Guns expert. 😉

image.png.0259e4b98120e8c22f535083379818c8.png

Let's goooo  !

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Looks like some hill billy project. For actual military use it is useless especially since it is struggling that much with just 9mm. There are far more sophisticated and proven systems out there.

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

What this likely is, is a KP-9 and definitely not a PP19, Mr. Call of Duty Guns expert.

@sub68 is correct. There are two PP-19s out there the Bizon and the Vityaz (PP-19-01). The first one was developed into the second one and the second one is actually in service in a few countries but mainly Russia. The KP-9 is the civilian version of the PP-19 Vityaz specifically made for the American market and usually is semi auto. Which means in the video you most definitely see a PP-19 (Vityaz) design "Mr. Call of Duty Guns expert".

If you now take into account that the YouTube channel that posted this is Russian plus the old russian APC in the video it could be either a Saiga 9 ( civilian PP-19 Vityaz for the russian market) or an actual PP-19 Vityaz. Which also means the chances for it being a KP-9 are practically zero.

Edit: Just realized the robot even has a Russian flag on it's left side.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

13 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

It just honestly feels a bit dastardly for them to be using robot dogs for that; Couldn't they at least use robot hippos or at least a cat would be more realistic.

But then it wouldn't be exactly like that one black mirror episode.

Anyway it's not like these are very different from existing weaponized drones, they can just perform better on some terrains.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The future of warfare... Robots with guns mowing down humans autonomously. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Summary

Sharks Robot Dogs with frickin' lazah beams assault rifles attached to their heads backs.

Media

Quotes

My thoughts

Excuse the "doomerism", It's only a matter of time before we see more and more armed robot videos like this. It just honestly feels a bit dastardly for them to be using robot dogs for that; Couldn't they at least use robot hippos or at least a cat would be more realistic.

Sources

Vice
The Verge (quote source)

Tweak Town

IMO, it probably wasn't trained to deal with the recoil, it's responding the same way as "being pushed" 

Also, they likely would need something that a ML model for movement already exists, hence if it's based on Boston Dynamic's work, it likely could only deal with something with roughly the same mass and center of gravity. You can't just take a "robot dog" model and stick it into like a robot horse, or robot cat.

That said, making "killbots" is a recipe for disaster, no matter who makes it. Not so much in a Terminator-style way but more of a Black Mirror "Metalhead" way. If it has the capacity to learn to defend itself, then you would have to trick the things into firing all their ammo before you could capture it, and even then, it may still be able to fight back using it's own weight, or just repeatedly smacking you in the face with one "foot" once pinned down. Still, I don't really see this scenario happening.

Yet...

2009:

https://www.wired.com/2009/07/military-researchers-develop-corpse-eating-robots/

2015:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/09/remember-eatr-the-military-robot-that-was-supposed-to-eat-humans/

2020: New scavenger technology allows robots to 'eat' metal for energy

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200421134420.htm

Sometime in the last two weeks, apparently the story from 2009 came back alive and shared through the wacky news cycles.

It's not unreasonable to think of a scenario where a robot dog could "eat biomatter" for energy, and "eat metal" for reusable ammunition (assuming the gun itself is a rail gun and not an explosive-propelled one), but why even do that, just build a laser to burn the eyes of it's target, chase it into corner to kill it with a blunt object, and then eat it alive one piece at a time to destroy the evidence.

Like this is all speculative fiction still. Gluing a gun to a dog robot is a largely inefficient, if not a completely stupid design trying to fill a cannon fodder role rather than something more precise, and silent. Yet, I can't think of any real scenario where someone wouldn't just mow down a dog bot with a conventional vehicle. Run it over and then park the car on top.

14 hours ago, sub68 said:

its a SMG, looks like a PP19, defintly russian as the veichial is a Russian APC

Yeah even more, that is 9MM

1 hour ago, Montana One-Six said:

@sub68 is correct. There are two PP-19s out there the Bizon and the Vityaz (PP-19-01). The first one was developed into the second one and the second one is actually in service in a few countries but mainly Russia. The KP-9 is the civilian version of the PP-19 Vityaz specifically made for the American market and usually is semi auto. Which means in the video you most definitely see a PP-19 (Vityaz) design "Mr. Call of Duty Guns expert".

If you now take into account that the YouTube channel that posted this is Russian plus the old russian APC in the video it could be either a Saiga 9 ( civilian PP-19 Vityaz for the russian market) or an actual PP-19 Vityaz. Which also means the chances for it being a KP-9 are practically zero.

Updated.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

What this likely is, is a KP-9 and definitely not a PP19, Mr. Call of Duty Guns expert. 😉

Civ models are werid. It’s not a KP-9 due to it being a automatic.

Oh wait your being sarcastic aren’t you.

1 hour ago, Montana One-Six said:

Looks like some hill billy project. For actual military use it is useless especially since it is struggling that much with just 9mm. There are far more sophisticated and proven systems out there.

In Russia is the Saigai 9 in automatic.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Updated.

Huh?

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, Kisai said:

IMO, it probably wasn't trained to deal with the recoil, it's responding the same way as "being pushed" 

Yeah it’s not good when you realize it’s 9mm a light recoiling round.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

As far as I know Russian law prevents the average Joe from owning full-auto weapons. So I guess the Saiga 9 is semi auto from the factory but that doesn't mean that there aren't full auto variants out there. Like the KP9/KR9 from Kalashnikov USA is also semi only (afaik) but there are still full auto KP9/KR9 out there.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

5 minutes ago, Montana One-Six said:

As far as I know Russian law prevents the average Joe from owning full-auto weapons. So I guess the Saiga 9 is semi auto from the factory but that doesn't mean that there aren't full auto variants out there. Like the KP9/KR9 from Kalashnikov USA is also semi only (afaik) but there are still full auto KP9/KR9 out there.

ok so we pretty much can concur that that pp19 in that video is a a pp19 automatic

as for the KP9 I think its dealers or something that make it automatic

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The future of warfare... Robots with guns mowing down humans autonomously. 

So the basic premise of 86?

I mean, I might like certain anime to come to life, but I'm not to sure that's the one…

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Would probably struggle less if the center of mass was lower. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4 hours ago, sub68 said:

ok so we pretty much can concur that that pp19 in that video is a a pp19 automatic

Yes it definitely shoots full auto multiple times in the video and it is 100% is a PP-19 (Vityaz) design. Other than that it is pretty much impossible to tell from the video if it is a Saiga 9 (converted to full auto) or an actual Vityaz.

1 minute ago, Montana One-Six said:

Other than that it is pretty much impossible to tell from the video if it is a Saiga 9 (converted to full auto) or an actual Vityaz.

that is true

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

8 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

Edit: Just realized the robot even has a Russian flag on it's left side.

7 hours ago, sub68 said:

Civ models are werid. It’s not a KP-9 due to it being a automatic.

Oh wait your being sarcastic aren’t you.

Yeah so I thought @sub68meant it was one of those PP-19 with the weird round high capacity mag underneath the barrel.

So looked at it and thought, yeah looks like a KP-9 obviously, must be one! But of course didn't think about the KP-9 actually being the imported semi-auto version. So so much for me being all smarty-pants here. 

Either way it's russian and shoots vodka bottles.