today's video was a disaster... - new house family room setup

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I don't really know anything about SignalRGB but there's a foss alternative, OpenRGB, that is also completely free, open source, doesn't require an account and doesn't harvest any data

I honestly wish someone would go through and make a compilation of all the times that Linus has experienced kickback from electric drills/tools. 

I always find it funny every time it happens. When I was building cabinets with my grandfather several years ago, I always thought I had it bad when it came to kickback. I've realized now that when you put a drill in Linus's hand, it might as well be a wild animal that's ready to whip around and bite the hell out of him at any moment. 

Maybe it's the old grump in me but it seems like the setup and then likelihood of continual issues as things get updates and the inevitable 'breaking' of the interconnectedness of all this just isn't worth the 'oh that looks cool' factor or 'oh i can turn on lights from my phone' convenience. At some point reliability trumps the 'cool' factor?

A very clean setup. And the crawlspace behind the TV is something I wished I had in far more rooms throughout the house.

Though curious to if the sound has issues with the microwave among other devices, and how is the audio latency?

(Also, there is nothing weird with having an egg on the shelf. I would keep my own glued together shell proudly displayed for everyone to see as well if I still had it.)

34 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

A very clean setup. And the crawlspace behind the TV is something I wished I had in far more rooms throughout the house.

Though curious to if the sound has issues with the microwave among other devices, and how is the audio latency?

(Also, there is nothing weird with having an egg on the shelf. I would keep my own glued together shell proudly displayed for everyone to see as well if I still had it.)

by chance... is it a dragon egg...

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Maybe it's the old grump in me but it seems like the setup and then likelihood of continual issues as things get updates and the inevitable 'breaking' of the interconnectedness of all this just isn't worth the 'oh that looks cool' factor or 'oh i can turn on lights from my phone' convenience. At some point reliability trumps the 'cool' factor?

Agreed, but for Linus the equation is different because he gets to make more content (e.g. angry video at a company that discontinued support for their cloud-enabled product, or just a re-configuration of his smart home) every time something breaks.

The inevitable breaking is also (maybe?) less in Linus' setup, because he uses Homeassistant, so it doesn't rely on cloud support.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I'm building out my room abs would love something to do surround sound like those speakers but I do not have $2k to spend. Does anyone have any recommendations?

image.thumb.png.b3fec2440f03fb1bed625d4c45ff240f.png

This constant BlurTV is getting to whole new levels of ridiculous. Wasn't the location of the new house anyways leaked on a WAN show?

I read "Use your TV as a centre speaker" as "Your TV has cancer." Why does my brain do this?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy