Can I afk overnight with my MacBook and not be concerned that it’s gonna explode.

So I have a new(ish) m1 pro MacBook Pro. I know I’m gonna get roasted for not getting a pc instead, but that’s unrelated. I want to afk overnight at a Minecraft farm, knowing that my overpriced laptop won’t explode. I turned down the render distance a ton and basically capped the framerate lower then 30. I know the chipset is really efficient and it’ll Probably be fine but I kinda just need some reassurance cuz I REALLY don’t want this thing to explode. 

(also side note, I know stressing the hardware for a extended period of time is bad for the lifespan of it but I made sure the cpu and gpu were steadily under 50% basically the entire time. And this is also pretty much a one time thing, It won’t be happening all the time.)

unless you do something supremely stupid or ludicrous (i.e. point a flamethrower at it), it's not going to go boom

if apple designed it so badly it would go boom, there would be many reports of it happening and quite possibly a recall

evidently that didn't happen

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I’m sorry I worded that extremely terribly. When I say go boom or explode I mean like just get really hot and have the fans ramp up to like 100%. But I also don’t want it to explode. 

but thank you very much

Most laptops cool best if you 'tent' them, open them about 1/2 way and stand them like a capital A on the desk. That lets air flow around all sides, point a desk fan at it if you're still worried about heat.

If all the youtube board repair shops are to be taken serious, it's just a question of WHEN it will happen. 
Good luck when you lose all your data due to 12v shorting. 

44 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Oh... no, we don't do that here, well, not all of us at least. It's still a laptop after all, and you're right it's a very efficient design.

Not sure what a minecraft farm is but I imagine you leave your character grinding on its own like it was a MMORPG, that shouldn't use a lot of resources AFAIK, just the same as if you were actually playing the game.

It's not gonna explode out of nowhere, but do leave the charger plugged in to prevent the battery from draining and throttling the computer. If it's over a metal surface and with the lid open (screen soft off) then that'll be better, just don't leave it on your bed or a couch.

Ok thank you so much that’s really helpfull

My MacBook Air of 2012 is on 24/7 year+. Restarting only if a rare update requires it. It is running media and plex server, sometimes extra stuff that requires constantly turned on screen (so I can keep an eye on it)

Its fans sometimes are so audible that I can hear it in the next room.

Your fresh M1 can survive a night.

if possible can you lower the render distance in minccraft, lower the graphics quaility as well?

This way the machine is doing less work. Yes I know its just minecraft but lowering the amount of work should help with any heat it might produce.

May not help at all, but can't make it worse. Also takes how much time to do the settings change?

13 hours ago, MrPlum111 said:

So I have a new(ish) m1 pro MacBook Pro. I know I’m gonna get roasted for not getting a pc instead, but that’s unrelated. I want to afk overnight at a Minecraft farm, knowing that my overpriced laptop won’t explode. I turned down the render distance a ton and basically capped the framerate lower then 30. I know the chipset is really efficient and it’ll Probably be fine but I kinda just need some reassurance cuz I REALLY don’t want this thing to explode.

I frequently leave my M1 Pro 16" on overnight for large torrent files and slow filesharing sites.

I leave it open, turn off the display, and turn on Low Power. No issues here.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

As long as your machine is rocking back and forth on your desk because the battery is bulged then you are not going to have your system explode. The system getting hot is normal. Remember, the machines are smarter than their users. They are designed to take long term use. Just leave it plugged in and come back to it when you can.

Laptops are designed to not only run every now and then but also be used continuously not stop for days even weeks on end. As long as they have power. 

Also, the M1 processor in the macbook pro barely gets above 80C. Apple did an amazing job with cooling and efficiency of the chip. Don't sweat it.

Just don't leave the machine on a bed. Have it on your desk plugged in lid open. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

With proper ventilation you should be fine. As others have said, best to leave it on a desk or other hard, flat surface that allows air to easily get under the laptop. 

Minecraft with settings turned down is no match for the M1 chip. It will barely get warm. 

On 7/15/2022 at 5:43 AM, MrPlum111 said:

So I have a new(ish) m1 pro MacBook Pro. I know I’m gonna get roasted for not getting a pc instead, but that’s unrelated

I sure hope, those stupid Times are long over. Only a blinded Fanboy/haterkid will another you for getting x over y.

Apple Silicon Macbooks do have their qualities, some of them even without any competition on the Market (how efficient it is for example, or the Trackpad), and those reasons are valid.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:53 AM, MrPlum111 said:

I’m sorry I worded that extremely terribly. When I say go boom or explode I mean like just get really hot and have the fans ramp up to like 100%. But I also don’t want it to explode. 

Ah good since explosion really only happens when something is defective.

But no, you don't have to worry. Apple Silicon Devices don't get hot, especially, since you "only" have a M1 Pro, and not the M1 Max.

If you let it run at 100% CPU Load + 100% GPU Load, then the Fans might have to spin.

But sitting afk at Minecraft? Just login, stand there, wait 5-10 Minutes, and that's the Temperatures + Fan Speeds that are needed for this Load pretty much. It won't go much higher than this. Not even after going afk for a Month. That's how Cooling Systems work. it's a Balance between how much Heat the Hardware produces, and how much Heat the Cooling System can take away (per Second for example). It might change if your Room gets dusty, and alot of Dust goes inside the Computer.

Also, if you reduce fps to 30, your Hardware will probably be so bored, that not enough heat is produced for the Fans to even start running.

And you can also just go to Settings -> Battery -> Low Power Mode. It pretty much reduces the TDP of the whole Chip.

I know the regular M1 is throttled to 4 Watt only. M1 Pro is probably at 22 Watt i believe? or 12-18 Watt not sure. But much less than normally.
With that active, your fps during afk probably don't matter at all. And with Low Power Mode, the Chip most likely won't be able to produce enough heat to get really hot even if you'd use benchmarks.

Like my M1 Macbook Pro 13" from late 2020. Low Power Mode = 4w limit.

I could run Benchmarks all day, watch the battery taking over 10 hours to get empty, and it stays cool and dead silent.

This Low Power Mode is really damn great if you want to keep consumption as low as possible for a long time, and you do not need Performance.

Anyway... Or a short, in general answer: Trust in the Cooling System. Regardless of Macbook or Windows Notebook. It's designed to keep the Hardware Temperatures within specifications (maybe just below, or far below) so nothing bad happens. Every single Device can be used 24/7 in 100% Load, as long the Cooling System is not defective. Even cheap devices.

There might be more or less throttling involved, but it will NOT overheat, and it will NOT Break.

All you need is a flat surface like a Table. Don't pack it on a Blanket like a Burrito. And you will be fine. No need for Laptopp cooling stands with Fans, no need for an extra fan setup, no need for some Tent gymnastics or whatever.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, sonicfelipemt said:

If all the youtube board repair shops are to be taken serious, it's just a question of WHEN it will happen. 
Good luck when you lose all your data due to 12v shorting. 

There’s literally no issue, board repair shops are a scam anyway, they know their repairs are shit even if they have good technicians which I’ve never actually seen evidence of. Repair until a replacement part can be sourced is how modern electronics repair goes. 

On 7/17/2022 at 3:59 AM, Imbadatnames said:

There’s literally no issue, board repair shops are a scam anyway, they know their repairs are shit even if they have good technicians which I’ve never actually seen evidence of. Repair until a replacement part can be sourced is how modern electronics repair goes. 

You're literally insane. Go watch https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

Just now, sonicfelipemt said:

You're literally insane. Go watch https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

Rossman is a shit technician who doesn’t even get basic tech work right. Do not quote him to me. 

Everyone knows a board level repair, no matter how well it’s done, will never be as strong as the original joint. That’s a fact. Repair until replacement is how it goes now, a board level repair is never a permanent fix.