Not enough power possibly, SOS

AtomicGaming
Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,

@AtomicGaming It's not a lack of power, I run a 5600x and a 2080 (and other bits like drives etc) off of a 550w.

I'd pull call cables and start again. Go slow, go methodical. Could be something was loose.

So, I'm currently running a 850 watt power supply. I've got connected a GPU, additional power to the CPU, 3 RGB Strips(connected via LED CPU with the splitter it came with), and a watercooling pump. When I powered it on, it didn't come on. I got a little bit worried and I troubleshoot it down enough to the power supply. I then grabbed my old PSU(500 watt), then only plugged in the the additional power to the CPU, and the 24 pin, and it came on ok. Do I need more wattage with everything that I'm plugging in? What would be the ideal wattage that I would need?

4 minutes ago, AtomicGaming said:

GPU

These can use anywhere from 50 watts to 400+ Watts depending on model.

CPU

These can use anywhere from 10 watts to almost 300 watts depending on model.

What would be the ideal wattage that I would need?

Without knowing what parts you have, your guess is better than ours.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Neither the GPU nor the CPU will actually put such an insane amount of load to the PC that it will fail to boot. What does this are the components that do peaks such as unstaggered HDDs, like lots of them. So when you try to boot the machine, it tries to boot all those at once, eventually throwing a fault. 

You mentioned of a pump, is this a custom watercooled machine? If so, what are the full specs? 

From the way this sounds, you have an all-in-one liquid cooler. Which PSUs are you trying to boot with?

Just now, Motifator said:

Neither the GPU nor the CPU will actually put such an insane amount of load to the PC that it will fail to boot. What does this are the components that do peaks such as unstaggered HDDs, like lots of them. So when you try to boot the machine, it tries to boot all those at once, eventually throwing a fault. 

You mentioned of a pump, is this a custom watercooled machine? If so, what are the full specs? 

From the way this sounds, you have an all-in-one liquid cooler. Which PSUs are you trying to boot with?

It's a custom loop.

Specification:
Type: Water Pump
Voltage: 12V DC, large 4P / small 3P plug
Current: 0.8A
Power: 10W
Lift: 4 meters
Flow rate: 500L/H
Material: Acrylic + Plastic
Thread: G1/4
Inlet and outlet: 1/4 internal thread, Thread Coupling is NOT included
Weight: Approx. 290g
Size: Approx. 5 * 5 * 7.8cm /  2 * 2 * 3.1in
Package size: Approx. 13.5 * 8.5 * 9.5cm / 5.3 * 3.3 * 3.7in

You might have a short somewhere in this PC with all the loop components and the RGB, or even a leak thereof if you don't indeed know what you're doing... just thinking out loud. Which PSU are you trying to work with?

I also have one watercooling accessory. Its thermaltake Pacific TF2. It's a temperature sensor for the waterloop

3 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You might have a short somewhere in this PC with all the loop components and the RGB, or even a leak thereof if you don't indeed know what you're doing... just thinking out loud. Which PSU are you trying to work with?

Corsair. 

1 minute ago, AtomicGaming said:

Corsair. 

That narrows it down to 23 different power supplies of varying quality.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=11&A=850000000000

Which one?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I haven't filled it yet

19 minutes ago, AtomicGaming said:

RM850X

You said you tried only powering on the cpu and the 24 pin with the 500 watt psu and it worked. Have you tried the same with the 850 watt psu to ensure you didn't get a faulty unit? RM850x is a very good model so unless it's faulty I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

Also, you aren't using any of the cables from the old 500 watt power supply with the RM850x are you?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You said you tried only powering on the cpu and the 24 pin with the 500 watt psu and it worked. Have you tried the same with the 850 watt psu to ensure you didn't get a faulty unit? RM850x is a very good model so unless it's faulty I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

Yeah that was one of the first things I did to make sure that the power button was working. 

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Also, you aren't using any of the cables from the old 500 watt power supply with the RM850x are you?

Cant, the 500 watt isn't modular 

@AtomicGaming It's not a lack of power, I run a 5600x and a 2080 (and other bits like drives etc) off of a 550w.

I'd pull call cables and start again. Go slow, go methodical. Could be something was loose.

26 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I'll give that a whirl. I'll double check with everything. 

16 hours ago, AtomicGaming said:

I'll give that a whirl. I'll double check with everything. 

I don't know how, but the 24 pin cable from the power supply somehow got unplugged. Its plugged back in now, and it runs now