why isn't thunderbolt eveyrwhere?

1832vin

i mean, it's 5GB/s, that's sufficient for EVERYTHING, why? patent fees? why are we still sticking to usb 3?

tell me why! cuz i really want it.... and it's not on most windows

i mean, it's 10GB/s, that's sufficient for EVERYTHING, why? patent fees? why are we still sticking to usb 3?

Just because. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Do you really need to transfer things at more than 5Gb/s?  USB 3.1 is 10Gb/s http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2338243/design-for-next-generation-reversible-usb-31-cable-is-revealed

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

i mean, it's 10GB/s, that's sufficient for EVERYTHING, why? patent fees? why are we still sticking to usb 3?

Have you ever bothered to check out the price of a portable Thunderbolt/2 thumb drive?...Yeah...no.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Do you really need to transfer things at more than 5Gb/s?  

^Most things won't even use 4Gb/s.

Quote me to get a reply!

Well why do we need it right now. Peripherals don't need that high of a transfer rate and storage solutions are better internally anyway. It is an amazing piece of tech but it is expensive and display port, USB, and SATA/PCIE already do what we need them to do well enough.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

yes, i know, but i mean, does people not seek for unification? cuz it's like on my laptop there is a ethernet cable, a DVI port, HDMI, use 3.0 ethernet cable

i mean, wouldn't it just be so much better if all of them are only one connector, then orientation of things matters much less

Its because of the price. When 3m cables start costing over 40$ something is going wrong.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

all of the above  :) 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Its the same reason that TV's and A/V receivers haven't adopted display port.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

all of the above, also intel charges to be able to use thunderbolt... i think its like 15 buck for licencing fees or something, let me look it up

cant find anything about it but im pretty sure they charge licensing fees for it

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Also when most usb flash drives don't even reach 100 MB/s ( 1000Mb/s ) or 1/5 of the max theoretical speed for usb. There is no need to pay such redicoulous amounts for the benefits of thunderbolt.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

Do you really need to transfer things at more than 5Gb/s?  USB 3.1 is 10Gb/s http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2338243/design-for-next-generation-reversible-usb-31-cable-is-revealed

USB 3.1 isnt available, thunderbolt has been and its can go 50gb/s with that intel controller

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Because of how much it costs, Thanks intel :)

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Intel is picky about who can make Peripherals... Not too mention the overpriced cables have some fancy Chips in each end

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

USB 3.1 isnt available, thunderbolt has been and its can go 50gb/s with that intel controller

How many people require more than 5Gb/s though?  Where does it say that Thunderbolt has transfer speeds of 50Gb/s?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

How many people require more than 5Gb/s though?  Where does it say that Thunderbolt has transfer speeds of 50Gb/s?

Intel created a pcie controller or some controller that allows thunderbolt up to 50gbps. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Thunderbolt-silicon-photonics-optical-networking-50-gigabits-per-second-Jef-Demain,12668.html

(Correct me if i interpreted it wrong)

It can be helpfull if you have some kind of nas-raid array that pumps throught more than 5gpbs, or some kind of external ssd

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

imo it's not going to happen, or it will be used only by rare peripherals. I'm talking to you, firewire

Not 100% why, but maybe the partnership that Intel and Apple have together with thunderbolt might have something to do with why we do not see it a whole lot on other manufactures stuff.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Intel Thunderbolt is not everywhere because:

-> It is actually expensive to get. The technology requires expensive components, and Intel charges a high price, which doesn't help.

-> Thunderbolt cables are expensive for the consumer. They are expensive mainly due that they need circuitry on plug ends.

-> Thunderbolt also requires a chip on the device itself (a controller), which cost money, making thunderbolt enabled device expensive.

-> Due to the high price, you have no products for it, beside external HDD's, which is a complete waste, as HDD speed doesn't even come somewhat close to USB 3.0, and USB 3,0 is bi-directional. If you seek lower latency, and lower CPU usage, then you get eSATA instead which is free (it's exactly the same SATA connector, just the shape of teh plug is made different to support more plug-in's and out, and holds better and works like the full size USB plug, without a latch system, and hold well.

So they are no real world benefit for the technology.

Intel has a thumb drive. 

18pzq222ol0fcjpg.jpg

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

How many people require more than 5Gb/s though?  Where does it say that Thunderbolt has transfer speeds of 50Gb

Need I bring up the 640kb of ram quote?

I remember people saying cd-roms were so big that everyday prgrams couldn't fill them up..

There isn't much of a need for that fast of a transfer rate. Some people might want it, but a majority of the people have no need for it.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

It needs intergrated graphics which means it won't work on most pro grade machines. Also, most consumers won't need/care for transfer speeds that fast (there'd be a lot more people with wired networks if they did)

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11