How to take a cpu through an airport? Can they X-ray it?

Go to solution Solved by Levent,

You are overthinking it. If you dont want to keep it in your luggage, ditch the box and just tape the plastic enclosure CPU comes with (so that it wont open randomly) and put it in your bag or your pocket. Xray is fine, its not going to kill anything.

I got my hands on the 5800x3D, and want to take it to my computer so I could actually use it.

The thing is that I don't really trust it in the checked luggage, it gets tossed and searched and whatever, so don't know if leaving it in there, maybe wrapping the package into tshirts to provide protection is a good idea.

So my other idea would be to take the plastic little prison the cpu came with, and put it into my jacket pocket, that way I can be with my cpu every moment. That has it's own risks, someone bumps me and the cpu is now flattened etc, so I am thinking of this yet.

But if I were to take it on my person, they would X-ray the naked cpu, with it's 7nm+ and 3D vcache, and I don't know if it is made for that. Yes I know my laptop/phone etc also have a CPU, but it is protected by the heatsink and body.

So how should I move it? Leave it in retail packaging and cover it with bunch of clothes for shock protection and leave it in luggage? Or take it with me in the small plastic cage?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

You are overthinking it. If you dont want to keep it in your luggage, ditch the box and just tape the plastic enclosure CPU comes with (so that it wont open randomly) and put it in your bag or your pocket. Xray is fine, its not going to kill anything.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Leave it in retail packaging and put it in your case. If you take it through a scanner it will be picked up. And of you say "it's a computer part", and they say "power it on", next thing you know you're in the back room with the feds trying to explain what a CPU is an how it works while they're trying to figure out how they can portray you as the next Bin Laden.

Maybe get some fragile stickers/tape for your case perhaps.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Leave it in retail packaging and put it in your case. If you take it through a scanner it will be picked up. And of you say "it's a computer part", and they say "power it on", next thing you know you're in the back room with the feds trying to explain what a CPU is an how it works while they're trying to figure out how they can portray you as the next Bin Laden.

Maybe get some fragile stickers/tape for your case perhaps.

No case, the rest of the computer is in the country I am flying to.

But you are right, I don't really speak the language of the TSA that well in this country, so explaining wtf this square thing that came out of my pocket is could get awkward really fast, especially if they would think it is radioactive for whatever reason.

I think some fragile stickers on the luggage would probably be the best option, if they wouldn't throw the luggage with these stickers on even harder for fun, it is basically a target for them.

But I think having fragile stickers on the box itself would be a good idea, so when they open it for some reason, they wouldn't touch it.

You are really overthinking TSA, if you have the retail packaging, bring it in checked luggage. If you don’t, still bring it in checked luggage.

If they care what it is they’ll google it.

The only thing they care about are extra batteries for laptops.

@Levent and @8tg I guess I really am overthinking it. I will leave it in my checked luggage in its retail packaging, so they can easily see what it is, and then my pockets are a bit lighter.

1 hour ago, Origami Cactus said:

No case, the rest of the computer is in the country I am flying to.

But you are right, I don't really speak the language of the TSA that well in this country, so explaining wtf this square thing that came out of my pocket is could get awkward really fast, especially if they would think it is radioactive for whatever reason.

I think some fragile stickers on the luggage would probably be the best option, if they wouldn't throw the luggage with these stickers on even harder for fun, it is basically a target for them.

But I think having fragile stickers on the box itself would be a good idea, so when they open it for some reason, they wouldn't touch it.

Have it in a plastic CPU storage shell and they can see what it is without having to open it.
In this case, since the shell is transparent they can readily see what it is and chances are that would be good enough, just make sure to tape the lid shut so it doesn't pop open on it's own and use regular/transparent tape. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

@Levent and @8tg I guess I really am overthinking it. I will leave it in my checked luggage in its retail packaging, so they can easily see what it is, and then my pockets are a bit lighter.

Put it in your carry on. There is nothing suspicious about a cpu. It has no external wire, no power source. On the scanner itself will look like a square pancake. X-rays will do nothing to it.