[SOLVED] PC cleaning and dusting, canned air alternatives? Can you use an air compressor to clean your PC?

Go to solution Solved by gal-m,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been away and didn't have much time. Here is my final verdict, which I shall also mark as the solution to my own question:

Anyways, I decided to buy a normal 25L oil lubricated piston air compressor for around $120. I could not be happier with it! I did a lot of research about oilless air compressors and in-spite of the fact the technology has moved quite a long way ahead, people still seem to be complaining about the lack of long-term reliability of oilless air compressors.

CONS about air compressors:

• Water condensation is a potential issue in BOTH designs - whether the compressor is oil lubricated or oilless doesn't make a difference in the amount of water condensation, as that is the direct result of the environment you're working in as well as the inherent nature of the physical process' taking place during air compression (and rapid expansion).
  • The only problem with classic oil lubricated air compressors is that some oil vapour may also enter the main tank and thus get discharged through your e.g. blow gun.
  • You need to maintain your air compressor by: performing service such as cheap oil changes and regularly draining your tank (after every use or at least one a week) to prevent corrosion due to moisture build-up.
  • There are different types of air compressors to choose from. You can buy a normal oil lubricated piston air compressor, which is very loud, or a slightly quieter belt-driven air compressor. There are also EXTREMELY quiet rotary screw air compressors and others - do your own research!

SOLUTIONS:

• To combat moisture and oil discharge you can use a cheap ($10) oil-water separator (there are also more professional options available), which is essentially just a little filter that traps most water, oil and other (solid) particles from exiting out of your blow gun, meaning it's going to most likely be completely safe to use with blowing out your PC - this is the case in my situation as I have NEVER noticed any water, oil or dust exiting my blowgun (and yes, I have tested this).

image.png.6a7e95845f47c1e69e72103b60a470a3.png

Here you can see a cheap oil-water separator and the amount of moisture build-up after about 1 hr of usage

PROS:

• Cheap.
  • Cheerful.
  • Output air pressure CAN easily be regulated, so no need to worry about damaging your components.
  • EXTREMELY versatile.
  • Can be used to blow up car tyres, with air tools, etc. You can really do a LOT of handy-work with air compressors.
  • Great investment.
  • Will most likely last you a long time (10 + years).
  • etc.

TLDR: DataVac's are WAAAY too expensive for their lack of versatility. You can do a lot more with air compressors. Get an air compressor.

Getting tired of buying canned air, which for me living in Slovenia (EU) is for some reason VERY expensive (from 5-10 EUR per can) and also ALWAYS out of stock.

Also read somewhere that bursting canned air for too long, thus freezing it, can cause damage? Is this true?
Then again, some air compressors spit oil, so I guess going with an oil-less version would be preferential.. 

What do you guys use to dust and clean your PC's? - would appreciate a few suggestions on a marketplace such as https://www.amazon.de/ 

Industrial air dusters are great. Like, not the little USB powered computer dusters you can get for like $5, I use this one from the company Datavac. Incredibly effective. Expensive though, but when you think about it it's the price of approx 15 air cans

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

40 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Fuck that’s expensive. I got a similar one but paid around £35/40 if I remember correctly. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I use this one from the company Datavac

2 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

DataVac 220

Hey @Mel0nMan & @wONKEyeYEs, I've been hearing about this one across multiple forums.

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Expensive though

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Fuck that’s expensive

But yeah @Mel0nMan & @Stormseeker9, that's what I was thinking as well.. 

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Ain't paying $200 for a toy duster that will break down after 6 months.

And looks like @Caroline has got the same idea..

The thing is, for a little bit more or maybe even the same amount I'd assume I could get a more "hefty, multi-purpose" duster/compressor, or am I mistaken?
Also, from what I've read those DataVac dusters used to be waaay cheaper, but got incredibly hyped up, so I am really unsure if they are actually worth the price..? 😕 

I use an air compressor.

You can also put the hose on the output side of a "Shop Vac" style vacuum cleaner, or use an electric leaf blower.

Just don't use the suction side of a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the dust out of your PC, those generate static electricity.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I also use an air compressor. The same one I use for filling up my tires. Works great.

Since my PC is sitting on my desk it doesn't get all that dusty. So I clean it maybe once a year by taking it out to the garage and just blowing through it.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

Brushes and I use the reverse rotation mode on my vacuum cleaner and half a pepsi bottle as nozzle, and if I need to inflate tires or blow air through heatsinks np I screw in the super high-tech attachment consisting of the bottle cap with half a syringe glued to it.

Ain't paying $200 for a toy duster that will break down after 6 months.

ee4b20d7e809ec0fb1d441f781ed0ad4cf57fca9

Vacuums generate an obscene amount of static electricity. You’re going to eventually fry something. That’s the entire purpose of datavacs…

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Got a datavac, it's great. I got it for much cheaper on Ebay long time ago for like $60 though. The current price is atrocious for what it is.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 hours ago, gal-m said:

Getting tired of buying canned air, which for me living in Slovenia (EU) is for some reason VERY expensive (from 5-10 EUR per can) and also ALWAYS out of stock.

Also read somewhere that bursting canned air for too long, thus freezing it, can cause damage? Is this true?
Then again, some air compressors spit oil, so I guess going with an oil-less version would be preferential.. 

What do you guys use to dust and clean your PC's? - would appreciate a few suggestions on a marketplace such as https://www.amazon.de/ 

Canned air is usually just propane. It's generally not "air", and you are "supposed" to have something pulling the dust out of the air. In a commercial building, usually the central HVAC is good enough for this. If your residence or office only has baseboard heating (eg any wall-mounted heat without a fan) then you'll want something other than canned air anyway.

Generally what you want is something environmentally-dependent. If you have a dry environment, a vacuum will generate static, if you have a dusty environment you need a way to capture the dust, not merely blow it into the environment. 

I'd probably suggest the "datavac" style vacuum, and even if you want to use a regular vacuum, it needs to have a PLASTIC end. So don't use a canister vacuum without one. Upright-vacuums sometimes have a plastic hose attachment and that should be "good enough". Central vacuums are usually a poor choice.

That said, the cans really should be used in short bursts for the tight spaces. If you're going through more than one can a year, you're doing something wrong and should probably find a way to remove the dust from the environment. Like even the office where I was using the cans on dozens of computers in a year, I only went through one can.

15 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I use an air compressor.

11 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

I also use an air compressor. The same one I use for filling up my tires. Works great.

I am assuming both of you @Needfuldoer and @Montana One-Six use an oil-less air compressor?

I was thinking about getting an air compressor too, so that I could use it in other applications as well..

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

Canned air is usually just propane. It's generally not "air", and you are "supposed" to have something pulling the dust out of the air. In a commercial building, usually the central HVAC is good enough for this. If your residence or office only has baseboard heating (eg any wall-mounted heat without a fan) then you'll want something other than canned air anyway.

Generally what you want is something environmentally-dependent. If you have a dry environment, a vacuum will generate static, if you have a dusty environment you need a way to capture the dust, not merely blow it into the environment. 

I'd probably suggest the "datavac" style vacuum, and even if you want to use a regular vacuum, it needs to have a PLASTIC end. So don't use a canister vacuum without one. Upright-vacuums sometimes have a plastic hose attachment and that should be "good enough". Central vacuums are usually a poor choice.

That said, the cans really should be used in short bursts for the tight spaces. If you're going through more than one can a year, you're doing something wrong and should probably find a way to remove the dust from the environment. Like even the office where I was using the cans on dozens of computers in a year, I only went through one can.

@Kisai I live in a very old building (like a lot of people in Europe), so there's no fancy air ventilation/filtration systems installed. Not even AC. Whenever I need fresh air I just open the windows.

I also have my PC on my desk, but I have it in my bedroom which is also an office. I have a HUGE dust problem. And I mean H U G E. I will start cleaning out the apartment's entire floor making sure that I am not "cross contaminating" the already cleaned areas with dusty items (you know what I mean - I basically dust/clean dusty items elsewhere and then transfer them back into my previously cleaned room where they are cleaned once again, just in case). And after 3 to 4 days I can run my finger across the table and it will be very dusty. I probably use one can of air per month as my computer and other electronic components get extremely dusty - like so dusty that if I left them uncleaned the dust will get permanently stuck to certain surfaces inside the computer, such as hard to get areas, fan blades, etc.

I am assuming that's due to old building design and also because I sleep, work, change clothes, etc. in the same room.

4 hours ago, gal-m said:

I am assuming both of you @Needfuldoer and @Montana One-Six use an oil-less air compressor?

Most air compressors you can buy for home use are oil-free afaik. Oil-free ones are usually cheaper, lighter and require close to no maintenance. Oil air compressors need more maintenance but are also more durable and less noisy. 

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

6 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

Most air compressors you can buy for home use are oil-free afaik. Oil-free ones are usually cheaper, lighter and require close to no maintenance. Oil air compressors need more maintenance but are also more durable and less noisy. 

That's awesome news @Montana One-Six! I'll take a look at some "standard" compressors as well then!

11 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

This is the one I have:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/2-gallon-135-psi-ultra-quiet-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64596.html

It's shockingly quiet, and good enough to fill tires and occasionally blow PCs out. I daisy-chain an extra air tank to it when I need to blow a lot of stuff out, or use pneumatic tools.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

If you use an air compressor make sure to put a moisture trap in the air line. Every compressor will generate moisture as part of the air compression process. Also dial down the air pressure to like 30 PSI to reduce the possibility of damaging fans and small mobo parts. I use a Makita Mac100Q with the Capri nozzles which will give quite operation and about 30 seconds of air discharge at 30 PSI pressure before recharging. On larger jobs I use the Datavac ESD 2 speed vacuum unit (1.17 hp) - works great as a vacuum or blower.

I just use ordinary foot pump. Not the best, but it gets the job done. I usually blow all the dust out from the system, then use a vacuum to suck the dust that drop to the table or floor.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

17 hours ago, gal-m said:

@Kisai I live in a very old building (like a lot of people in Europe), so there's no fancy air ventilation/filtration systems installed. Not even AC. Whenever I need fresh air I just open the windows.

Yeah that is usually enough to increase dust from air pollution and pollen.

17 hours ago, gal-m said:

And after 3 to 4 days I can run my finger across the table and it will be very dusty. I probably use one can of air per month as my computer and other electronic components get extremely dusty - like so dusty that if I left them uncleaned the dust will get permanently stuck to certain surfaces inside the computer, such as hard to get areas, fan blades, etc.

I am assuming that's due to old building design and also because I sleep, work, change clothes, etc. in the same room.

Most dust is actually the dust mites droppings from eating the dead skin and stuff. That said, a way you can reduce the environment dust is by using a (window-vented) air conditioner with a HEPA filter to control the humidity/temperature, and just turn the cooling off when you don't need it so the filter still pulls the dust out of the air.

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to live in a carpet-free, fabric-free, smoke-free, pet-free room, dust usually won't go down, and it's your PC that's acting as the room air cleaner. 

On 5/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, gal-m said:

, that's what I was thinking as well.. 

https://www.amazon.de/Dusters-CompuCleaner-Xpert-Dust-Blower/dp/B01G1Z0RF0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=pc+staubgebläse&qid=1652755060&sr=8-3

its this or paying for cans for forever,  which *actually* is *very expensive* 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/17/2022 at 2:43 AM, Needfuldoer said:

It's shockingly quiet, and good enough to fill tires and occasionally blow PCs out. I daisy-chain an extra air tank to it when I need to blow a lot of stuff out, or use pneumatic tools.

Looks awesome @Needfuldoer, I'll have a look if I can find something similar in my area!

On 5/17/2022 at 3:34 AM, KTown said:

If you use an air compressor make sure to put a moisture trap in the air line. Every compressor will generate moisture as part of the air compression process. Also dial down the air pressure to like 30 PSI to reduce the possibility of damaging fans and small mobo parts. I use a Makita Mac100Q with the Capri nozzles which will give quite operation and about 30 seconds of air discharge at 30 PSI pressure before recharging. On larger jobs I use the Datavac ESD 2 speed vacuum unit (1.17 hp) - works great as a vacuum or blower

Thanks for the info @KTown. That Datavac ESD 2 speed looks awesome but is waaay over my budget for now. People keep recommending the "standard $100 Datavac unit"

On 5/17/2022 at 4:21 AM, Kisai said:

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to live in a carpet-free, fabric-free, smoke-free, pet-free room, dust usually won't go down, and it's your PC that's acting as the room air cleaner

Exactly what I was thinking yeah, @Kisai!

On 5/17/2022 at 4:40 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Do you use this @Mark Kaine? And does anyone know how it would compare to the Datavac? Prices are.. somewhat similar, but I keep seeing a LOT of Datavac recommendations..

1 hour ago, gal-m said:

Do you use this @Mark Kaine? And does anyone know how it would compare to the Datavac? Prices are.. somewhat similar, but I keep seeing a LOT of Datavac recommendations..

Actually i use this, i didn't see there are 2 models...

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/EG-1025/dp/B00S7CH6FK/ref=pd_aw_vtp_sccl_2/262-8874690-4847455?pd_rd_w=sgxpB&pf_rd_p=43115df5-55d3-4b3d-83f0-e9b9e279ca91&pf_rd_r=20ZQR7258V1CVMVV5JMW&pd_rd_r=9f757543-53e6-40de-9110-e25bf627769a&pd_rd_wg=ecPZZ&pd_rd_i=B00S7CH6FK&psc=1

its 60, it works well and you really don't need the extra fluff... seems pointless...basically at max i switch out the nozzle depending on what i do, but the medium one is basically perfect for pc stuff.

as for data vac, i would say thats herd mentally at play (no offense)  thats also why its so expensive... to me it looks very cheap, and its made from metal? complete no go to me to use anywhere near my computer lol 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2022 at 10:57 AM, Mel0nMan said:

Industrial air dusters are great. Like, not the little USB powered computer dusters you can get for like $5, I use this one from the company Datavac. Incredibly effective. Expensive though, but when you think about it it's the price of approx 15 air cans

On 5/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, wONKEyeYEs said:

This is the one I saw on a review site but not sure of what people gravitate towards with the different choices for DataVac

Amazon.com: Metro Vac Electric DataVac Pro Series VAC N Blo | Model MDV-1BA | Computer Vacuum | Blower |Cleaner | Duster | Made in The USA | Includes 5 Bonus Bags! (1) : Electronics

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Sorry for the late reply. I have been away and didn't have much time. Here is my final verdict, which I shall also mark as the solution to my own question:

Anyways, I decided to buy a normal 25L oil lubricated piston air compressor for around $120. I could not be happier with it! I did a lot of research about oilless air compressors and in-spite of the fact the technology has moved quite a long way ahead, people still seem to be complaining about the lack of long-term reliability of oilless air compressors.

CONS about air compressors:

• Water condensation is a potential issue in BOTH designs - whether the compressor is oil lubricated or oilless doesn't make a difference in the amount of water condensation, as that is the direct result of the environment you're working in as well as the inherent nature of the physical process' taking place during air compression (and rapid expansion).
  • The only problem with classic oil lubricated air compressors is that some oil vapour may also enter the main tank and thus get discharged through your e.g. blow gun.
  • You need to maintain your air compressor by: performing service such as cheap oil changes and regularly draining your tank (after every use or at least one a week) to prevent corrosion due to moisture build-up.
  • There are different types of air compressors to choose from. You can buy a normal oil lubricated piston air compressor, which is very loud, or a slightly quieter belt-driven air compressor. There are also EXTREMELY quiet rotary screw air compressors and others - do your own research!

SOLUTIONS:

• To combat moisture and oil discharge you can use a cheap ($10) oil-water separator (there are also more professional options available), which is essentially just a little filter that traps most water, oil and other (solid) particles from exiting out of your blow gun, meaning it's going to most likely be completely safe to use with blowing out your PC - this is the case in my situation as I have NEVER noticed any water, oil or dust exiting my blowgun (and yes, I have tested this).

image.png.6a7e95845f47c1e69e72103b60a470a3.png

Here you can see a cheap oil-water separator and the amount of moisture build-up after about 1 hr of usage

PROS:

• Cheap.
  • Cheerful.
  • Output air pressure CAN easily be regulated, so no need to worry about damaging your components.
  • EXTREMELY versatile.
  • Can be used to blow up car tyres, with air tools, etc. You can really do a LOT of handy-work with air compressors.
  • Great investment.
  • Will most likely last you a long time (10 + years).
  • etc.

TLDR: DataVac's are WAAAY too expensive for their lack of versatility. You can do a lot more with air compressors. Get an air compressor.

That's... completely counter-intuitive to what you're trying to achieve. There are better blowers like from Bosch, which are multi-purpose used for dusting out leaves / construction bits. You don't have to overkill this, but what I'm seeing above is totally stupid to me. At least for this task.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:21 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Just don't use the suction side of a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the dust out of your PC, those generate static electricity.

Though there are suggestions that this might happen, no one actually explains how.

There could be a static charge within the vacuum cleaner but that is inside it, not in the computer.

Needfuloer says the charge is in the vacuum cleaner (inside it?), not the computer.

The vacuum cleaner is drawing in clean dry air across the components. This is what a fan does, only faster with the vacuum cleaner.

A compressor is blowing air from a device that could be statically charged. Are you sure the blowing is safe?

A vacuum cleaner hose end is usually plastic. Plastic doesn't conduct.

If a metal hose end, it will be to  a plastic hose. The bit you are holding, if metal, can be earthed by holding an earthed bit of metal with the other hand, stopping yourself building up a charge.

If the computer is plugged in to an earthed supply with the power turned off at the wall it will be earthed so no static can build up.

So, can someone explain what is supposed to be happening to generate a static discharge inside the computer?

The only time I can think of breaking a part with a compressor is blowing it on fans at full blast - making them rotate way faster than they normally do. It's safe to blow high pressure air towards a PC, I've been using compressors for a good time now. Never broke anything other than a very cheap blower itself, which fried its own self from the plug.

I'm now thinking to pick up one of those Bosch units I mentioned which are built for long period working on outside conditions. Might go all out with the one that has the battery pack so cable-free and more convenient.