[SOLVED] PC cleaning and dusting, canned air alternatives? Can you use an air compressor to clean your PC?

Go to solution Solved by gal-m,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been away and didn't have much time. Here is my final verdict, which I shall also mark as the solution to my own question:

Anyways, I decided to buy a normal 25L oil lubricated piston air compressor for around $120. I could not be happier with it! I did a lot of research about oilless air compressors and in-spite of the fact the technology has moved quite a long way ahead, people still seem to be complaining about the lack of long-term reliability of oilless air compressors.

CONS about air compressors:

• Water condensation is a potential issue in BOTH designs - whether the compressor is oil lubricated or oilless doesn't make a difference in the amount of water condensation, as that is the direct result of the environment you're working in as well as the inherent nature of the physical process' taking place during air compression (and rapid expansion).
  • The only problem with classic oil lubricated air compressors is that some oil vapour may also enter the main tank and thus get discharged through your e.g. blow gun.
  • You need to maintain your air compressor by: performing service such as cheap oil changes and regularly draining your tank (after every use or at least one a week) to prevent corrosion due to moisture build-up.
  • There are different types of air compressors to choose from. You can buy a normal oil lubricated piston air compressor, which is very loud, or a slightly quieter belt-driven air compressor. There are also EXTREMELY quiet rotary screw air compressors and others - do your own research!

SOLUTIONS:

• To combat moisture and oil discharge you can use a cheap ($10) oil-water separator (there are also more professional options available), which is essentially just a little filter that traps most water, oil and other (solid) particles from exiting out of your blow gun, meaning it's going to most likely be completely safe to use with blowing out your PC - this is the case in my situation as I have NEVER noticed any water, oil or dust exiting my blowgun (and yes, I have tested this).

image.png.6a7e95845f47c1e69e72103b60a470a3.png

Here you can see a cheap oil-water separator and the amount of moisture build-up after about 1 hr of usage

PROS:

• Cheap.
  • Cheerful.
  • Output air pressure CAN easily be regulated, so no need to worry about damaging your components.
  • EXTREMELY versatile.
  • Can be used to blow up car tyres, with air tools, etc. You can really do a LOT of handy-work with air compressors.
  • Great investment.
  • Will most likely last you a long time (10 + years).
  • etc.

TLDR: DataVac's are WAAAY too expensive for their lack of versatility. You can do a lot more with air compressors. Get an air compressor.

24 minutes ago, Motifator said:

That's... completely counter-intuitive to what you're trying to achieve. There are better blowers like from Bosch, which are multi-purpose used for dusting out leaves / construction bits. You don't have to overkill this, but what I'm seeing above is totally stupid to me. At least for this task.

I can see where you're coming from @Motifator. The thing is, I have found so much usage from an air compressor as I am able to do many other things around the house. So, while an air compressor is overkill for blowing out dusty PC's, I have PERSONALLY found it extremely versatile and financially less wasteful. I do live and the house though, so noise, storage and ease of use (air compressors can be quite heavy) aren't problematic factors.

20 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Though there are suggestions that this might happen, no one actually explains how.

There could be a static charge within the vacuum cleaner but that is inside it, not in the computer.

Needfuloer says the charge is in the vacuum cleaner (inside it?), not the computer.

The charge builds up in the vacuum hose, not the computer or even the main body of the vacuum cleaner.

The vacuum cleaner is drawing in clean dry air across the components. This is what a fan does, only faster with the vacuum cleaner.

Yes, much, much faster. That's why it happens with a vacuum cleaner but not your fans.

A compressor is blowing air from a device that could be statically charged. Are you sure the blowing is safe?

The compressor nozzle is much further away from the device than a vacuum hose would normally be. If it even builds up a static charge, it would take far more power to jump that gap.

A vacuum cleaner hose end is usually plastic. Plastic doesn't conduct.

Latex balloons don't conduct electricity either, but they can still build a static charge.

If a metal hose end, it will be to  a plastic hose. The bit you are holding, if metal, can be earthed by holding an earthed bit of metal with the other hand, stopping yourself building up a charge.If the computer is plugged in to an earthed supply with the power turned off at the wall it will be earthed so no static can build up.

No static can build up on the computer, but it can still build on the vacuum hose. Once enough static builds up to jump the gap between the vacuum hose and the chassis, that charge is going to take the most convenient path to ground: through the computer.

So, can someone explain what is supposed to be happening to generate a static discharge inside the computer?

High velocity air and particle movement through the hose causes static electricity to build up on it. This can happen with any vacuum cleaner, and has to be specifically mitigated for ESD-safe vacuums and systems meant to handle high amounts of particulate matter (like woodworking shops full of sawdust) by making the hose out of conductive material or including a grounding wire.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

24 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The charge builds up in the vacuum hose, not the computer or even the main body of the vacuum cleaner.

So you make sure you have a hose with a metal end, usually on the flexible part, for the straight plastic hose to fit to (removed). Then you hold the metal end with one hand and the other hand on some earthed metalwork. No static can build up near the computer.

If the hose doesn't have a metal end, fit / make one and earth it. Then the free hand can use a small brush to move the dust off the board.

Blowing, if done, should be done outside (not mentioned) otherwise the air will be full of dust for the computer to gather up when restarted.

I asked the question on another computer forum and here, a prompt reply about cleaning a computer.

Note the 30+ years -

You can use a vacuum cleaner IF you keep your distance.. I use a brush (non-synthetic) to clean the dust and the vacuum cleaner around 20cm above to catch the dust particles.. As I do this indoors, an air compressor would make the whole room into a dustbomb.

I have done it this way for 30+ years and old computer hardware (early/mid 90's) was more sensitive to ESD then, [than] it is nowadays and I have never had a problem with cleaning my or others computers.

My best dust defence recommendation is to have air filters on the computer intake, then you almost never need to clean it inside.. just clean the filters once a month... if really bad environment.. clean them more often.

Taking the case to the balcony or outside of the house for compressor makes the most sense tbh.

Just be cognizant there is a possibility of static charge don't worry it probably wont happen just be aware of it.