I Hate It When He's Right...

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

You guys just need to pair it with a good screen and then you'll actually be blown away. Pair this with a Draper TecVision MS1000X ALR surface and you'll be blown away. You can also just order a demo kit from Draper which has all of their screen surfaces and you can compare them. Their high gain stuff is incredible but the MS1000X is the perfect balance of ambient light rejection and insane contrast boost all while losing 0 brightness since its a 1.0 gain. The only thing you lose is some viewing angle, but at 100 degrees its perfect for most situations. 

1 hour ago, jordanpearson93 said:

At 5:15 in the video.

Does anyone know where can you buy that weather stripping that lowers when the door is closed? 

image.png.ce7d400ecd6980923477fdb94199d076.png

Yes please, this is excatly what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find even the search term for what it is. Anyone?

Look at it from another perspective:  Every time he's right and you listen to him, it means you benefit.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

5 hours ago, jordanpearson93 said:

Does anyone know where can you buy that weather stripping that lowers when the door is closed? 

I came to find this also...  but got lucky with a google search "concealed door seal"

Many seem to come from here

12 hours ago, jordanpearson93 said:

These things are normally used on apartment doors or in general sound isolating and smoke protection doors. At least here in Germany these things are called "Schall-Ex" or "Wind-Ex". Idk how they're called around the world or how much these are used outside of Germany though. They cannot easily (if at all) be be retrofitted in most cases though. At least the ones that sit inside the door. For retrofitting there are ones that can be mounted on the side:

image.png.d70ebd3aa70e2f00d6c93f2b392f174b.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Not bad.  But for the cost, ease of setup, etc--I will keep using a UST.  And UST tend to be a tad brighter per lumen, given the distance to the display surface.

10 hours ago, Slippage said:

I came to find this also...  but got lucky with a google search "concealed door seal"

Many seem to come from here

I've found them called "automatic door bottom" or "retractable sweep" before.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just watched this video & was surprised that they were standing in the way of the image & looking towards the projector. Isn't looking at a laser projector light source directly a very bad idea, & can cause eye damage?

1 hour ago, restokin said:

Just watched this video & was surprised that they were standing in the way of the image & looking towards the projector. Isn't looking at a laser projector light source directly a very bad idea, & can cause eye damage?

Certainly can, yes.  Granted, it's not a focused, concentrated beam like you would find out of a pointer or something similar--but still not a great idea.

One of the features on my Cinemax P1 is that you can have it automatically attenuate the brightness if it senses something in front of the beam.  Of course, not quite as big of a deal with a ceiling (long throw) projector (as opposed to a UST).

P.S.

I have been singing the praises of UST setups since I got mine in late 2019.  Part of the hurdle of projector setups (for many people) is the setup.  Ceiling mount for the projector.  Plumbing wires to it.  Covering over or fishing those cables so they aren't an eyesore.  Etc, etc, etc.

With a UST, it's literally removing the TV from your entertainment stand and putting a UST in the exact same spot.  Sure, you still have the hassle of painting/hanging a screen and squaring/keystoning the image--but that's it.  All the cabling you would need--is the same stuff your previous TV was already using.  That makes it far more accessible and ideal for people making the conversion from panels to projectors.

Linus covered one like this in 2017 (Dell S718QL), but has pretty much ignored the projector segment since (and especially the UST segment, which has EXPLODED in size since 2019).

I've never really put much into projectors tbh, due to the black levels. Hence why I think OLED should become the new standard over LCD.

However, even I must admit that looks ballin. Ofc its totally outside the realm of a 'normal' persons budget,

I mean lets just put aside the cost of the projector alone and talk about what that kinda setup needs right from the start.

A house big enough to have an entire extra spare room to be converted into a home cinema / game room.

The cost of setting up said room with all the needed fixtures, fittings, and other 'stuff'.

A PC powerful enough to push 4k 120.

And finally the projector

Linus ur one lucky SOB 😄

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I hope Linus replace the Door in long therm with a normal one.
Well I am happy with my Xiaoumi or how the called Beamer the are cheap (back then) and have very good light output for the most people.

5k.... Linus must be earn well with this Videos.

From AT. :x

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

I've never really put much into projectors tbh, due to the black levels. Hence why I think OLED should become the new standard over LCD.

However, even I must admit that looks ballin. Ofc its totally outside the realm of a 'normal' persons budget,

I mean lets just put aside the cost of the projector alone and talk about what that kinda setup needs right from the start.

A house big enough to have an entire extra spare room to be converted into a home cinema / game room.

The cost of setting up said room with all the needed fixtures, fittings, and other 'stuff'.

Linus ur one lucky SOB 😄

Think of it as "cost divided by sq/in".  It's quite reasonable from that angle.  Some people will go with a 50" TV over a 75" one--because of cost.  Well this is the same metric, just at an even bigger scale.  A 120" screen is a 4x4 array of 60" panels--so if you can get it done for around (or less than) the cost of 4x 60" TV's--then you are actually coming out ahead.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

sq/in

What did you mean by that?

From AT. :x

square inches.  You know...because even in metric-land, everyone still measures their displays in inches.

17 hours ago, Required said:

I hope Linus replace the Door in long therm with a normal one.

Why should he?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Linus ur one lucky SOB 😄

He isn't just lucky to have a home cinema with a nice projector, but also an OLED TV in his living room. Not to mention a room with 4 more computers to game on, AND an additional office for work. So he can use whatever he feels like. It'll be interesting to see how he does the whole PC stuff. Virtualiziation, one tower for each desk, etc.

I bet the TV in the living room will change at least 3 times until he moves in because different brands want to sponsor one. My guess would be that the 65" A95K is likely the one he keeps there.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:57 PM, dkoudijs said:

Yes please, this is excatly what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find even the search term for what it is. Anyone?

On 4/19/2022 at 8:25 PM, jordanpearson93 said:

it's apparently called an "automatic door bottom"

https://www.tmhardware.com/Automatic-Door-Bottoms/

https://acousticalsolutions.com/product/automatic-door-bottom/

bonus tip for facility managers: install these on all doors that have a key or badge reader on the outside, but just a regular handle on the inside, these annoy the crap out of people using under-door covert entry methods 😄

Not really a recommendation to Linus but it would be awesome if they could get Flock Sheets for the wall.  It literally absorbs about 99.9% of visible light (compared to 90% of black paint).

https://www.ko-pro.black/flocksheet/

Like could have it lined the walls, or potentially sewed into drapes.  With it at 99.9% absorption it doesn't matter if there are a few wrinkles in it...since you won't be able to see it very well anyways.  Just a food for thought.  It would make it a really entertaining video seeing Linus playing around with this kind of material.  With the concept that you could setup as a drape, which effectively can be all pushed into a corner when you are done (that way you can have white walls or other coloured walls when not in use)...and when it's time for movies or to use the projector just dragging the curtain around the room (assuming it's on rails) and now you have pretty much a  black room (excluding the carpet and ceiling)...but that should be more than enough to make most of the room feel like a dark room.

I mean you could do things like this
https://www.amazon.ca/UrbanRed-5M-Ceiling-Curtain-Track/dp/B07Q7VSVBY
Just spitballing though...I mean if going extreme, might as well go very extreme with the "darkest room that you can't see"  Bonus points if painting the roof with Musou Black paint.

Regarding more of the video, it's nice seeing projectors still evolving.  I purchased a refurbished Epson (at like 75% off) and was really happy with it (specifically chose a 3 LCD version due to being able to see the rainbow effect sadly on most other projectors...and even on Plasma TV's I was able to see it).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef