How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need!

CPotter

Im about an hour and ten minutes in on floatplane, I know how to build a pc, ive built many, im still finding this video incredibly fun to watch, great job/decision to use many different presenters to keep it flowing and hold viewers attention. I was shocked when I just looked at how far in I was

“…if you have a computer store near…”

Yeah, I used to have a really cool computer store nearby inside an hour’s drive. And then Fry’s went bust. The closest alternative is 7 *expletive* hours away. 

“Screw you too, Frys!!!”

Edited by Zodiark1593
Extra exclamation points for good measure.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Amazing video - great agnostic guide.

Will share it when helping individuals with their build.

P.S.

51:24 Coolar - Air mount setup (HEDT/servers)

Typo 🙂

Was going to complain they didn't mention anything about the good old 115-230v switch at the back of the PSU...
But looking it up, I found out apparently it ain't that common anymore and is mostly only found on dirt cheap paperweight PSUs that you shouldn't even be using in the first place. Nice that it's all done internally now.
Overall, cool video. Just need to find someone who has no idea how to build a computer, make them watch this video and then see if they can assemble one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Does this mean no more tech tips???😥😥😥

Due to my inability to think before I type, I frequently edit my posts. Please refresh before responding!

Tag me @drdrewnatic or quote me so I can see your response.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-12600K GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2070 OC MB: GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 RAM: 2X8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 3200 CL16 BOOT: CRUCIAL P5 PLUS 1TB SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA G3 650W COOLER: THERMALRIGHT PEERLESS ASSASSIN 120 SE ARGO

01101100 01110100 01110100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01100101 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101

7 minutes ago, drdrewnatic said:

Does this mean no more tech tips???😥😥😥

Pretty much the plan. Now that this video is made, Linus is planning on packing it in, giving his employees a direct equal payout, then moving to the Bahamas to retire, buying out an entire island to play some Badminton on. 

/s

edit: would actually be a good way to do the April Fools 2023 video, and company vacation at the same time. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

"the last guide you'll ever need!"

That may be literally correct to people who already watched too many of these videos these days.

(i love my cheap seasonic psu btw)

Good video! Information packed and served with a smile - as always.

IMHO, maybe some more time should be spent talking about upgrading the firmware/bios on the motherboard, with and without cpu. Choosing a motherboard with flashback functionality is really good - it can spare you lots of problems, since both intel and AMD needs specific versions of the bios to work with cpu XXX

Overall score on video: 9/10 

// Lazze

The guide is quite incomplete.

I am missing:

---------

Talk about different size PC cases, {miniPC [ITS only], SFF [max MATX] Tower [ATX], Large tower [ATX, but taller case]. Super tower {ATX to E-ATX}}

---------------

The part for Specialized GPU's with AIO, combined with a CPU with AIO

Like the following GPU.

I know LTT has 1 or 2 in their warehouse, as one is seen in the 2000W PSU video.

-------

The part for front-panel IO like

-DVD/Blu-ray drives. [for whatever reason]

-front panel 3.5/5.25" Card readers.

-LCD screen, for temperature/fan controller

-----

So not to include it, or talk about it is a bit strange.

I think a PART 2 would be needed for specialized/weird hardware combinations.

Thus a video of odd combinations of hardware, only a few people would do, or people wanting to keep certain old parts, would be a good idea for a PART 2.

My personal build "see signature below the comment" would be a good example, for such build.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Have to admit that the video does a pretty good job of avoiding pushing all that hard the usual "carrot chasing" that most LTT videos push. That said the HDD info is just pure cringe. You are already taking a speed hit by using a drive verses a SSD because you want more bulk space but claiming that running a slower 5400 RPM drive is better because its cooler is just bullshit.

If you get a HDD you get a 7200 RPM drive unless you are in some niche use case where speed doesn't matter at all and you need power or cost savings in bulk. We have been stuffing 7200 RPM drives in cases with far worse airflow then what we now have for decades with little care for drive temps and if drive temps are enough of a concern for you then just invest in a cooler and more expensive SSD.

One other note is speaking as a writer you need a lot of memory in your computer because you will have a web browser up and you will have dozens if not a hundred or two tabs open eventually for reference and research unless somehow you are writing something 100 pure whole cloth off the top of your head.

Beside that the parts picking segment overall can be boiled down to the traditional "Lifespan of Computer Parts" hill analogy:

Great parts become Good parts

Good parts become Ok parts

Ok parts become Bad parts

Bad parts become Shit parts.

Shit parts stay Shit parts.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

holy balls an hour long LTT video on my Birthday?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

"we've got a full video on cable management that you can check out here" *nothing apprears*

Hey guys, after watching the video, one thing remained unclear to me: When Anthony explains the off-case testing (around hour 01:01:20) and enters the bios, he says ”If you have an empty water block, this is as far as you want to go, because your cpu is probably getting pretty beefy. For anyone else though, you can check a few things…” . Now I am really wondering who he means with anyone else. Because if you have an aio, it’s not plugged in at this point so what does he mean? An aio doesn’t have an “empty" water block, right? And so temperatures are probably very hot for people with aio’s, too.

But why is he saying that the temperatures will be ok with a not plugged in cooler?
Maybe I’m just stupid right know but did anyone understand what he meant? Thanks.

Just replying to check where answers are shown, never been on this forum before

2 hours ago, Schramena said:

Hey guys, after watching the video, one thing remained unclear to me: When Anthony explains the off-case testing (around hour 01:01:20) and enters the bios, he says ”If you have an empty water block, this is as far as you want to go, because your cpu is probably getting pretty beefy. For anyone else though, you can check a few things…” . Now I am really wondering who he means with anyone else. Because if you have an aio, it’s not plugged in at this point so what does he mean? An aio doesn’t have an “empty" water block, right? And so temperatures are probably very hot for people with aio’s, too.

But why is he saying that the temperatures will be ok with a not plugged in cooler?
Maybe I’m just stupid right know but did anyone understand what he meant? Thanks.

Anyone one else would mean air cooled or AIO. An AIO would still have liquid inside that can soak up heat of an idle cpu for a time. An air cooler would also be able to soak up heat in the heat sink even if the fans aren't connected. 

In an empty water block the heat has nowhere to go. You have only attached it at this point to test that the computer makes it to the bios. And if you are running a custom water cooled loop you most likely have a beefy cpu. 

I'm confused about Alex's point at 1:25:53 about AIO placement. I remember there was a whole debacle about people not getting the point of Steve's video about it a while ago with people stating that you HAD to have your tubes at the bottom when front mounting. But I've watched it a couple of times now and he definitely says that tubes down is optimal to get air to accumulate as far away from the tubes as possible for noise and longevity reasons but if that isn't possible and you have/want to front mount it for whatever reason, provided the pump (if it's in the block) is below to the top of the radiator you should be fine.

I understood the pushback to clarify that tubes up was actually fine but saying that 'AIO coolers are quieter and last longer when the pump is below the area where the tubes connect to the radiator' seems to be the exact opposite of what Steve was saying unless I've vastly misunderstood something.

8 hours ago, W.D. Stevens said:

I'm confused about Alex's point at 1:25:53 about AIO placement. I remember there was a whole debacle about people not getting the point of Steve's video about it a while ago with people stating that you HAD to have your tubes at the bottom when front mounting. But I've watched it a couple of times now and he definitely says that tubes down is optimal to get air to accumulate as far away from the tubes as possible for noise and longevity reasons but if that isn't possible and you have/want to front mount it for whatever reason, provided the pump (if it's in the block) is below to the top of the radiator you should be fine.

I understood the pushback to clarify that tubes up was actually fine but saying that 'AIO coolers are quieter and last longer when the pump is below the area where the tubes connect to the radiator' seems to be the exact opposite of what Steve was saying unless I've vastly misunderstood something.

The important point to remember is that the pump cannot be the highest point in the loop.  As long as the top of the radiator is above the top of the pump, you're fine regardless of the direction you put the tubes.  JayzTwoCents made a follow-up video explaining it a bit better.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

9 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

The important point to remember is that the pump cannot be the highest point in the loop.  As long as the top of the radiator is above the top of the pump, you're fine regardless of the direction you put the tubes.  JayzTwoCents made a follow-up video explaining it a bit better.  

Yeah I watched that one too. I know both ways are fine but both Steve and Jay in that video say that there is a benefit to having it tubes down if you can but don't worry if you can't. That's very different to saying that tubes up is better.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! Im am going to try to make my own "gaming computer." I consantly use blender, both for its rendering, modeling, and even physics capailities. for all this time, i have been using a microsoft laptop. I am currently learning Unreal engine right now, and i think its time to upgrade. can someone point me in the right direction for what kind parts to use? From the reaserch i have already been doing, i currently plan on buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Q7L3N4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1, (Corsair elite capellix fan), this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M3WC9K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1PYB0QXU6SOEO&psc=1, (power supply.)

Which kinds of parts should i be looking for, and how would i be able to tell if they are all compatible with each other?

From the linus video, so far i think my highest needs are good drive storage with decent speed, LOTS of ram, and Like a 7/10 or 8/10 GPU and CPU power.

16 hours ago, Skittle37549 said:

Hello! Im am going to try to make my own "gaming computer." I consantly use blender, both for its rendering, modeling, and even physics capailities. for all this time, i have been using a microsoft laptop. I am currently learning Unreal engine right now, and i think its time to upgrade. can someone point me in the right direction for what kind parts to use? From the reaserch i have already been doing, i currently plan on buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Q7L3N4W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1, (Corsair elite capellix fan), this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M3WC9K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1PYB0QXU6SOEO&psc=1, (power supply.)

Which kinds of parts should i be looking for, and how would i be able to tell if they are all compatible with each other?

From the linus video, so far i think my highest needs are good drive storage with decent speed, LOTS of ram, and Like a 7/10 or 8/10 GPU and CPU power.

You'll get a lot more traction if you post a PC Part Picker list in the new builds subforum

• 1 month later...

is the list of links in the video description the parts used in the video? if not, is there a complete list available?