Why the pins on CPUs and motherboards?

(rferring specifically to cpu and their sockets)

Simply put: pins are long tiny pieces of metal = pins are are fragile.

Why don't/can't they develop a different more resistant contact mechanism?

14 minutes ago, Sigfried said:

What did you have in mind?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

They(PGA) are not fragile.

What will replace them on AMD CPUs is(LGA).

I have never had an issue with pins and I have been building PCs for about as long as there as been PCs.

I had an eyelash take out a motherboard and CPU on my Q9550 build. 

So for me it has been 3 LGA to 0 PGA loses. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

4 minutes ago, jones177 said:

They(PGA) are not fragile.

To a point, anyway. I ordered a hard Ryzen 7 CPU and the shipper "creatively" used some cardboard instead of plastic clamshell to package the CPU. Had some negative results...

Either way, @Sigfried CPUs are small and complex. Small, complex things are fragile by nature

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

28 minutes ago, Sigfried said:

How else are you gonna convey the power, with little resistance and good contact. For many pads in close proximity?

The pins are just there so the socket has some gold plated copper to hold on to.

There are other styles. Like Intel's, where the pins are in the socket rather then on the CPU.

Same thing really just other way around.

And since flexible plastic doesn't conduct, metals it is.

The only other option is directly soldered, and we DO NOT want that for our main desktops. 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Modern CPUs are made up of many individual parts. These parts each need access to electrical and data lines from the motherboard. This means that you need a lot of connections.

The simple fact is that pins are the best way to achieve this in a compact area while allowing modularity. The only other way to do it is with a ball grid array that requires the CPU to be soldered to the motherboard, which does allow for many independent connection points, but makes modularity impractical.

If you have a better suggestion, I'm sure any of the major chip manufacturers or motherboard makers would love to hear about it, so they can patent it and have a competitive advantage by needing to process fewer RMAs.

First thing that comes to mind is it needs to be dense for modern CPU's. Looking at a modern CPU with 1300-1700 pins...you also need every single pin to make reliable contact. 

In a modern AMD socket using PGA, the pins slide into the socket which has metal contacts on each side of the pin. But its not until you lower the retention arm that the top of the socket moves across,clamping the pins into the metal contacts. 

In a modern Intel using BGA the "pins" in the socket are springed so they push up against the pads on the bottom of the CPU. Hence why the retaining bracket should be clamped closed to ensure each springed pin is pushing up against the pad. 

I personally have only ever damaged 1 CPU, and 0 Motherboards via socket damage in 30 years of PC building. As long as you take care handling the CPU, put cover on sockets when you have CPUs out for extended periods, and put PGA CPU's into clamshells when not in use. 

Be interesting to see what ideas you have though for a new design. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

The better option is BGA, but the draw back is non swap cpus. 

Perhaps instead of pins to pads, male female connectors. Which IMO wouldn't be any better or reliable.

The most common processors types are PGA (pin grid array) and LGA (land grid array) 

PGA = there's pins soldered on the bottom of the CPU and you insert the CPU in a socket and you get a very good grip on every pin

LGA = there's tiny pads (squares, hexagons, rombs, whatever) or gold plated material on the bottom of the cpu and the socket has flexible contacts that press on the pads to make contact. When you place the CPU on the socket, the CPU's weight bends down the contacts a bit. 

There's pros and cons for each method. 

Pins are safer, there's less risk of damaging CPU compared to damaging motherboard socket. CPUs are shipped in plastic shells or boxes, so no risk of damaging pins during transport.  Only time you risk damaging pins is when you take it out and insert in socket - you may drop it and bend a pin, which can be straightened out. In very rare cases, you may break a pin and even then you can solder another one with the right equipment

Intel moved to LGA because they didn't want to deal with processors with bent or broken pins, they basically moved the losses from their end to the motherboard manufacturer's end. There's much higher risk to have a screwdriver or the corner of the CPU drop on the LGA socket and permanently damage one or more contacts in the socket, and your motherboard is gone... replacing a socket can cost up to $100 or more at authorized service places. 

On one hand there's the benefit of PGA that the pins are grabbed from two sides by the socket, so there's a lot of surface area between socket and pins, so you don't need a lot of pins to transfer power to the CPU... in contrast the pads often have very small tips, small area where it makes contact with the cpu, so you need more pins to carry the same amount of power. 

There's also higher risk of having some dirt or... anything, like for example a strand of hair, be between the LGA socket and the CPU and cause a contact to not touch a pad on the cpu. 

However there's some downsides. Pins are long and because of that, there's longer distances between the circuit board and the actual cpu, and the pins themselves can have extra inductance or act like tiny antennas picking up noise from the other pins. This can affect the CPU reaching higher frequencies, or it can be an issue where you have lots of pins close together.

With LGA, the spring like contacts are shorter, so  overall there's less length of wire between the motherboard and the cpu die.

LGA also allows you to pack more pins in an amount of space, that's why AMD went with LGA on Threadripper and Epyc, that and what I said in the paragraph above, shorter distance, better signals etc .. it's an issue when you have 4-8 channels and 128 pci-e lanes and lots of stuff you need pins for. 

Makes sense for AMD to move to LGA for better signals, when they're gonna do pci-e 5.0 (probably they're gonna assume socket will still be here on pci-e 6.0)  , ddr5, and other high bandwidth stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

To a point, anyway. I ordered a hard Ryzen 7 CPU and the shipper "creatively" used some cardboard instead of plastic clamshell to package the CPU. Had some negative results...

Either way, @Sigfried CPUs are small and complex. Small, complex things are fragile by nature

I look for the fraise "retail box" in the descriptions. 

They are also better for resale.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

4 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

How else are you gonna convey the power, with little resistance and good contact. For many pads in close proximity?

The pins are just there so the socket has some gold plated copper to hold on to.

There are other styles. Like Intel's, where the pins are in the socket rather then on the CPU.

Same thing really just other way around.

And since flexible plastic doesn't conduct, metals it is.

The only other option is directly soldered, and we DO NOT want that for our main desktops. 😄

Sorry, I f*cked up the phrasing, with "resistence" I actually meant to say "endurance".

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

The most common processors types...

Great answer, thanks for the explaination, that being said, isn't there a better solution? I'm not engeneer but how about pads against pads? or pads against short/roud/conic pins?

At least removing the lenght problem? Is it such a dumb Idea?

4 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

The better option is BGA, but the draw back is non swap cpus. 

Perhaps instead of pins to pads, male female connectors. Which IMO wouldn't be any better or reliable.

oh nonono that is even worse, didn't even consider that one

9 minutes ago, Sigfried said:

Great answer, thanks for the explaination, that being said, isn't there a better solution? I'm not engeneer but how about pads against pads? or pads against short/roud/conic pins?

At least removing the lenght problem? Is it such a dumb Idea?

Apple would say soldered, non user-serviceable CPUs are "better" options

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Be interesting to see what ideas you have though for a new design. 

I just looked up a BGA chip.

I know what the tiny metal drops are in this picture, definitely not the mechanism we want  BUT , is it that crazy to do pins in a similar shape? 

Maybe conic but not pointy? 

anything that would make the pin part of the equation shorter, so that is simply less fragile.

I have no idea how CPUs are built and I am learning now some rationale but... I don't know it seems crazy to me, even though I'm sure they have really good reasons that I am probably about to know as well.

13210804-bga.thumb.png.a4594e9c984e763430a2f790c2aac311.png

The problem is you need something that is flexible and can absorb the tolerance between the 2 parts, if everything was rigid it'd be impossible to ensure all pins make contact.

On both LGA and PGA the flexible bit is in the socket, on LGA it's exposed which is what makes it fragile, on PGA it's protected but it means there need to be long enough pins to get into the protected socket and provide enough area for the contacts to engage with, and now these get fragile, although less...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The BGA chips have balls of solder ... you put the chip over pads on the circuit board and when the solder is heated there's a chemical reaction between the solder and the pads and the metals bind together so you get a very reliable and strong connection...

With removable processors, you rely either on friction (pga sockets, friction between the metal bits surrounding the pin) or pressure (lga sockets, chip pressing down on the elastic contacts) .. ram slots also rely on friction.

You could make very tiny and thin pins, using other stronger materials .. and you could maybe have holes in the cpu  bottom where pins would go in, and have more or less 1-2 mm of pins going inside the cpu base. Then, have the cpu tightened from the back of the motherboard using 4 thin screws.. you'd get very low height... but again, you risk the pins on the motherboard getting damaged, bent etc and those pins would be hard to solder onto the motherboard. 

Generally speaking if it isn't broken, don't fix it. 

Both Intel and AMD know a lot more about this than we do, given the enormous amount of RMA data they have, and it's more profitable to keep doing whatever they're doing because the failures aren't common enough to be a problem. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x