IT's FINALLY Here - Twitter is adding an edit button

Lightwreather

I don't use Twitter like.. at all. But I think an edit button is an obvious feature for it to have. That being said, of course having a way to see what was originally written is a must and the company seems to agree. So much so that they've just been afraid to implement it in any way at all.

I see being implemented in a way of  "version control", like in coding.. It would be very lightweight and very capable. I don't see why a multi-billion dollar company could not figure out a good way to implement it.

That being said watch them do something incredibly stupid and make it either worthless or terrible.... (like putting it behind a paywall) (for a testing environment, yeah sure, but if they leave it as a premium feature that would be terrible, imo)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Allow edits for 5 minutes for Subscribers. List the First with a button and list "edited" somewhere like everywhere else. Boom. Done. Twitter is generally too stupid to figure simple things outs.

NO, because thats too easy and you're apparently not understanding how the platform woks. (this is related to the "like" and "retweet" features) 

There *must* be an easy and obvious way to see the *original* comment! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Allow edits for 5 minutes for Subscribers. List the First with a button and list "edited" somewhere like everywhere else. Boom. Done. Twitter is generally too stupid to figure simple things outs.

I'm sure you'll change your mind about twitter being stupid if they implement that idea exactly, right?

16 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I'm sure you'll change your mind about twitter being stupid if they implement that idea exactly, right?

They've got a solid decade of terrible decision making to unwind before I'd change my view on their collective decision making That said if they did implement a baseline, near-term Edit feature that is specifically part of the Subscription service, I would applaud the decision and ask how many upper management they've had to fire to start making useful decisions. (The core problem with the place is that it's been unmanageable. They basically drug Jack back for the two round a couple of years ago because of the issues. It wasn't good for him, at all.)

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

NO, because thats too easy and you're apparently not understanding how the platform woks. (this is related to the "like" and "retweet" features) 

There *must* be an easy and obvious way to see the *original* comment! 

Well I mean you just click on the "edited" word and then it pops up the original/change log.

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually, after thinking a bit about it Im absolutely ok with a - time limited - edit feature …but its really not what Twitter actually needs. What it needs is inability to *delete* tweets, because  thats how the most toxic abuse happens …  post some BS, let people freak out, then just delete (or now "edit") the tweet when proven false…  NO, THAT'S NOT OK AT ALL.

I get where you are going with this, but delete should always be an option.  You are looking at this from the abuse standpoint, but eliminating the delete could lead to other bigger issues.

e.g. Friend decides to tweet out something on your account as a joke, you can't delete it and it is now on your public feed forever.  Worse if something like that would happen and you were going for a job later and they see the tweet (less likely seeing a tweet reply saying it wasn't you).

Other examples being, tweeting out your drivers license (yes there are people that stupid, and also stupid enough to do a picture of their CC).  You don't realize until after the edit period that it was a dumb idea, but now you can't edit it.

Tweeted out a picture that has a picture of your keys in it in the background.  Something that would be easily missed...and now you have to change your locks because it's not good having a picture of your house keys on the internet.

TL;DR the edit button I think could be good, and getting rid of the delete would be bad.  The next target though, I'm hoping is the bot/scam situation (because that's gone on for way too long)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

They've got a solid decade of terrible decision making to unwind before I'd change my view on their collective decision making That said if they did implement a baseline, near-term Edit feature that is specifically part of the Subscription service, I would applaud the decision and ask how many upper management they've had to fire to start making useful decisions. (The core problem with the place is that it's been unmanageable. They basically drug Jack back for the two round a couple of years ago because of the issues. It wasn't good for him, at all.)

What decade long terrible decisions are you talking about? I think its the best run of the major social media sites.

15 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Well I mean you just click on the "edited" word and then it pops up the original/change log.

That is an assumption though… usually on message boards and such you dont get that option as a user… (though there are some boards doing that)

I mean basically, i think they're going to f this up…

18 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Other examples being, tweeting out your drivers license (yes there are people that stupid, and also stupid enough to do a picture of their CC).  You don't realize until after the edit period that it was a dumb idea, but now you can't edit it.

Good point, but yes, i think the abuse aspect is at least as important - and well, this is precisely why they never did an edit button, delete *was* the edit button… slightly inconvenient but with a lot less potential issues… 

I guess as long they get the edit logs right, thats the important part…

23 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The next target though, I'm hoping is the bot/scam situation (because that's gone on for way too long)

I mean sure… but thats going to be really difficult on a platform with so many people…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean sure… but thats going to be really difficult on a platform with so many people…

Well there will never be a way to get rid of it all, but almost anything would be better than the current system.  In the other thread I mentioned the fact that someone using effectively a same username and profile picture shouldn't be able to be posting pretending to be the said person.  It's something that even an intern would be able to write that catches a whole bunch of them (with likely near zero false positives).  Similar can be said on YouTube,  I mean so far there has already been 2 threads created about it.  Other YouTubers have created videos about it and even a community lead effort is doing better than the YouTube Algorithm.  While you can't catch everything, there isn't really an excuse for letting the simple things slip through [like impersonation accounts replying to the account they are impersonating].

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

It's not that it was too difficult to get rid of the bot accounts, it's that sheer user count was the only thing Twitter had to market themselves.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 4/6/2022 at 8:47 AM, J-from-Nucleon said:

Summary

t’s a feature that Twitter users have been requesting for so long that it’s become a meme, but now the mythical “edit button” is actually becoming a reality. Twitter has announced that it’s working to allow users to edit their tweets after posting them.

Honestly a 10 minute edit timeframe is fine as long as any edits are shown. Up till now you'd have people post things and then delete the tweet to fix it, destroying the thread and making people who follow you see repeat notifications, it's very annoying.

Edits after 10 minutes should show up as a "correcting the record" edit, with the original post and the amended post showing side by side.

Twitter was better when there was a 140 character limit.

Even better before twitter was a thing. Just saying.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER