Business with Russia.

So I want to know something. 

I know Linus has decided to not sell merch to Russia. Idk what the sales figures are from Russia compared to the rest of the world. I know a lot of companies are doing that as well, in response to what is going on between Russia and Ukraine. My question is, is it because companies are trying to avoid paying taxes to the Russian government? 

I also feel like this is alienating innocent Russians living in russia.

2 hours ago, Peter Starzynski said:

My question is, is it because companies are trying to avoid paying taxes to the Russian government? 

To be frank, No.

Think about why he chose not to do business with russia... 🤔 ... maybe it has something to do with some kind of invasion that we are hearing about?

Ok so with that smarminess out of the way. I am certain the war between Russia and the Ukraine is the primary reason... nothing to due with taxes.

2 hours ago, Peter Starzynski said:

I am also going to say a no to that as well, Russia pretty much did that on their own, thanks to Comrade Putin.

I have the strangest feeling this topic is more oriented to get a reaction and to cause some discourse, which it has already received. Before I or another mod presses on that lock button, give a me a reason why you are posting this from a seemingly innocent point of view? you don't appear to be ignorant of what is going on.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I know why businesses have stopped doing business with Russia. It's a noble and good reason. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it and maybe Linus or someone from the merch team would educate me. By no means am I trying to "seek a reaction."

On 3/27/2022 at 11:04 PM, SansVarnic said:

I have the strangest feeling this topic is more oriented to get a reaction and to cause some discourse, which it has already received. Before I or another mod presses on that lock button, give a me a reason why you are posting this from a seemingly innocent point of view? you don't appear to be ignorant of what is going on.

I know why businesses have stopped doing business with Russia. It's a noble and good reason. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it and maybe Linus or someone from the merch team would educate me. By no means am I trying to "seek a reaction."

On 3/27/2022 at 7:51 PM, Peter Starzynski said:

This is why I made my comment about getting a reaction.

It not so much what you said, it's how you said it.

Let me tag Linus for you @LinusTech if he is able, he may chime in and give his take. I'm not going to pretend to know the behind the scenes reason for the decision. But as a previous COO myself I have a fair understanding of the why. But my logic is not going to be the same [similar maybe]. I defer to Linus on this one.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:40 PM, Peter Starzynski said:

If the stuff sold as merch is on Canadian list of banned exports, that's one hinder. Payments coming from Russia would be another. Then there's actual shipping problem. AFAIK only some land transports are going through from Europe side. So just those three could be huge factor between not taking sides and publicly taking a side.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv