Philips Reportedly Jumps Into The Memory Market

darknessblade

Summary

Philips Might be Jumping into the Memory market

Quotes

According to some leaked photographs that originated from the BoardChannels forum, Philips will allegedly start selling memory soon. The company is readying both DDR4 and DDR5 memory kits to compete with the best RAM that's on the market.

My thoughts

For now its just Wait and see, how the Philips Memory modules stack up against existing brands like Corsair, G-skill, etc

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/philips-reportedly-jumps-into-the-memory-market

https://devandgear.com/news/philips-reportedly-jumps-into-the-memory-market/

https://www.techspot.com/news/93778-alleged-leak-suggests-philips-may-planning-enter-ram.html

http://www.boardchannels.com.cn/thread-111682-1-1.html

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Ok not to be a party pooper but this appears to be fake to me

zPiSFYUpmM8ES6ApyToN6d-970-80.jpg.webp

That's not a SODIMM....

It can't be sodimm because everything phillip's makes is sobright.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I died XD

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Excuse me mods, where's the button to report posts for felonious dad jokes?

The other picture doesn't make this look any more legitimate, I mean... if this ain't photoshopped, I'm the Queen of England.

image.png.c438747c8323b50537b319fdbc975267.png

Yet Crucial quits so odd.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Philips is a general electronics company like GE.  Considering how overpriced ddr5 is atm I’ll take any additional competition I see

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Rauten said:

The other picture doesn't make this look any more legitimate, I mean... if this ain't photoshopped, I'm the Queen of England.

image.png.c438747c8323b50537b319fdbc975267.png

Haha looks like the things we made in 4th grade computer class in Google Drawings...

I mean, any new hardware is good but now of all times to get into producing microchips...

Also they're not making the chips if this image is at all accurate. Those are Micron chips on the board looks like, perhaps they just buy the chips and slap em on there...

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

So Phillips DDR5-5200 Hue?

At least we know they'll get the RGB right.

As a BR, Hue sounds fantastic.

Let me guess, this will be a name-only thing and everything about this product offering will reek of mainland China.  Oh sure, Philips will still be a Dutch company...but who knows what their subsidiaries will be.

China knows that "super happy mega joy bountiful harvest tech uber fun fun brand" doesn't portend reliability, quality or longevity to foreign markets--so snapping up long-term, reliable names in the industry is how they can (at least temporarily) bilk consumers into believing old names with CCP quality.

I mean, people still residually trusted NewEgg with its new overlords...and only gradually started to distrust them after several years.  That's years of profit where your ruse can work.

This is only good if they're also making the memory modules that go in said RAM sticks.

If they're rebadging or outsourcing from say, SKHynex, then this only makes supply issues worse.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

Ok not to be a party pooper but this appears to be fake to me

zPiSFYUpmM8ES6ApyToN6d-970-80.jpg.webp

That's not a SODIMM....

yea that logo on the dimm module itself looks like it had it's perspective warped in Photoshop.

good thing i always keep my salt on me.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

8 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Haha looks like the things we made in 4th grade computer class in Google Drawings...

I mean, any new hardware is good but now of all times to get into producing microchips...

Also they're not making the chips if this image is at all accurate. Those are Micron chips on the board looks like, perhaps they just buy the chips and slap em on there...

It sort of makes sense if you’ve been planning to jump in to do it now when a new ddr is just coming out.  It would be a perfect time except for world events.  Phillips is huge.  They dwarf the other memory makers with the exception of Samsung.  They’ve got buying power and prices for ddr5 atm are ridiculous.  They can make a quick profit and grab a bunch of market share at the same time.  Seems like a smart move to me atm. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 hours ago, Rauten said:

image.png.563c0fee6c8b78c1ce7c6fc6eb37cb4f.png

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/16/2022 at 3:03 PM, mr moose said:

Congratulations, you have won the internet.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, Bombastinator said:

Philips is a general electronics company like GE.  Considering how overpriced ddr5 is atm I’ll take any additional competition I see

I don't think Philips is like GE.  I thought GE worked.  Philips tv's for example don't give a lot of hdmi stick room, they pull about 10 frames per second from the signal, they put weird mathematics to simulate 60 frames per second from that 10 percent.

40 minutes ago, Stephen7 said:

I don't think Philips is like GE.  I thought GE worked.  Philips tv's for example don't give a lot of hdmi stick room, they pull about 10 frames per second from the signal, they put weird mathematics to simulate 60 frames per second from that 10 percent.

Not sure those numbers are right with an ability to create 60fps from 10 fps they would have tech which would own them the video card market

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure those numbers are right with an ability to create 60fps from 10 fps they would have tech which would own them the video card market

no, it is tech that sucks.  it morphs six frames, 10 times a second. Then the lie that the morphed frames are what live frames would have been.  Well, they own a big portion of the market, because honest capable trained people don't compare the end result.  I don't want to know why you would prefer a morphed frame.

13 hours ago, Stephen7 said:

no, it is tech that sucks.  it morphs six frames, 10 times a second. Then the lie that the morphed frames are what live frames would have been.  Well, they own a big portion of the market, because honest capable trained people don't compare the end result.  I don't want to know why you would prefer a morphed frame.

Does it look ok?  People seem to be OK with screen expansion stuff like DLSS.  I suppose it would depend on how much different it was.  This sounds like automated tweening.  That’s already done with animation.  What I find interesting, is that they could easily triple that sample.  If they can get even 90 or 100 fps out of a 60 fps image they’ve really got something

I'm assuming the modules will have incandescent lights built in, since that's about as modern of a Philips product as 99% of people probably have at the moment

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

3 hours ago, AudiTTFan said:

I'm assuming the modules will have incandescent lights built in, since that's about as modern of a Philips product as 99% of people probably have at the moment

Phillips has had issues for many years now.  They were originally very high tech.  It’s been many years though. 

5 hours ago, AudiTTFan said:

I will raise you Magnavox