Isn't a Mac a PC?!

BaconComputing

I mean, they haven't released an update for it since '08.

That's not true at all.  I don't know where you're getting that from.  Things between syncing safari with devices in the cloud, reading list, etc. There have been tons of little things added.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

yes it is

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

A Mac isn't a PC. It is Hardware with a touch of magic. 

according to apple and their trusted followers mac doesn't have hardware like a "computer" would have   it's just made of pure magic and fairy tales, fairy dust and unicorn's.

to answer the op, yes a mac is most definitely a pc, be it mac or windows machines a cellphone, they are all pc's.

I used it from 2006 to 2012. I basically grew up using it and still use it almost daily on my mom's laptop. I really like it, but I couldn't only have it since games and all that aren't really on it. That's why I'm using Windows.

Same here, I find os x a breeze to work with in comparison to windows (probably an unpopular opinion).

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

A mac is a screen with a peace of aluminium stuck to it where is the creativity in that

Technically no, since while it could be considered a personal computer the term "P.C." is used to signify an IBM clone. In the same way that, to avoid confusion, you wouldn't refer to a laptop as a P.C. people don't refer to Macs as P.C.s  It's a semantic difference that basically just arbitrarily distinguishes the two types of device for reasons of convenience in linguistic communication.

A Mac is a computer, it can be your personal computer, therefore it can be considered a personal computer but you wouldn't refer to it as such nor refer to it as a "P.C." as people would assume you were talking about an IBM clone and not an Apple.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

yes macs are pcs

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Mac's are all personal computers, they run the same hardware as any other personal computer.

Basicly no. This goes back to history when computers were things like Amiga, Commodore etc. Apple among them. IBM made the first personal computer which user could decide what to have in it and which OS to use. Since Apple has since allowed users to do some upgrades and select OS, we can call Macs PCs even though they aren't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A Mac is a PC, OSX is an OS.

When people ask me what my laptop is, I say Mac. Its what it is. When they ask what PC I use, I say I built one. Cause it has no 'brand'. 

And as far as Apple making their OS open field, I highly doubt things would change a whole lot, unless Apple got OEMs on their side. But Apple also likes to have some standard in design, and lets be honest all their stuff is built to a high standard (whether or not that is overpriced is for your wallet to decide) and I'd rather not use a fantastic plastic computer period, regardless of what OS it ran.

Licensing OSX is not gonna happen, it's what almost killed Apple in the first place. One of the first things Jobs did when he came back what rip all those deals, and then shredding them for good messure.

A Mac is a PC, OSX is an OS.

When people ask me what my laptop is, I say Mac. Its what it is. When they ask what PC I use, I say I built one. Cause it has no 'brand'. 

And as far as Apple making their OS open field, I highly doubt things would change a whole lot, unless Apple got OEMs on their side. But Apple also likes to have some standard in design, and lets be honest all their stuff is built to a high standard (whether or not that is overpriced is for your wallet to decide) and I'd rather not use a fantastic plastic computer period, regardless of what OS it ran.

Interesting, When people ask me what my laptop is I tell them the manufacturer e,g acer, toshiba, asus.  When they ask what my desktop is I refer to the cpu and GPU that I have in it.

apple created the first real PC... really :P

Trolololololololl

Technically no, since while it could be considered a personal computer the term "P.C." is used to signify desktop, IBM clones. In the same way that, to avoid confusion, you wouldn't refer to a laptop as a P.C. people don't refer to Macs as P.C.s  It's a semantic difference that basically just arbitrarily distinguishes the two types of device for reasons of convenience in linguistic communication.

A Mac is a computer, it can be your personal computer, therefore it can be considered a personal computer but you wouldn't refer to it as such or refer to it as a "P.C." as people would assume you were talking about an IBM clone and not an Apple.

Basicly no. This goes back to history when computers were things like Amiga, Commodore etc. Apple among them. IBM made the first personal computer which user could decide what to have in it and which OS to use. Since Apple has since allowed users to do some upgrades and select OS, we can call Macs PCs even though they aren't.

No, PC has always meant personal computer but has been bastardized over the last 50 years by marketing and the evolution of the tech bogan.    My first computer was a commodore 64 which was marketed and sold as a personal computer.  So was the microbee the z80, the vic20 the apple, and of course all the IBM gear, just because they also had another name and was generally refereed to as the c64 the amiga or apple does not mean they weren't PC's.

Commodore_64_Box.jpg

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Actually, thinking about it, I'd have to say no...

Technically no, since while it could be considered a personal computer the term "P.C." is used to signify an IBM clone. In the same way that, to avoid confusion, you wouldn't refer to a laptop as a P.C. people don't refer to Macs as P.C.s  It's a semantic difference that basically just arbitrarily distinguishes the two types of device for reasons of convenience in linguistic communication.

A Mac is a computer, it can be your personal computer, therefore it can be considered a personal computer but you wouldn't refer to it as such nor refer to it as a "P.C." as people would assume you were talking about an IBM clone and not an Apple.

It's a bit like saying cars are motorbikes because they're both vehicles and both work on the same principle of internal combustion, where in reality there are clear differences between the two vehicles that require the use of separate signifiers for easy description. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

It's a bit like saying cars are motorbikes because they're both vehicles and both work on the same principle of internal combustion, where in reality there are clear differences between the two vehicles that require the use of separate signifiers for easy description. 

They are both automobiles,  or if you are desperate to go down the car analogy then you should know that "car" is short for carriage AKA a cart. so anything with wheels that can carry a person is a car.

They are both PC's. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They are both automobiles,  or if you are desperate to go down the car analogy then you should know that "car" is short for carriage AKA a cart. so anything with wheels that can carry a person is a car.

They are both PC's. 

So you're are saying car's are motorbikes?  :huh:

They're both computers, they both can be personal to you, but the common usage for the term "P.C." is to specifically signify an "IBM clone" rather than a Mac or a Laptop (or more accurately the inverse is true and so the IBM clone adopts the signifier "P.C." by default). 

Another example: I buy Sony MP3 players, and I call them my Walkman not my IPod. Is a digital Walkman that stores and plays MP3 files an IPod?

At the point where Apple open their hardware for use with other operating systems then the hardware they produce could be considered a different form of P.C. since you'd be able to install Windows or Linux etc. to it. At the point where the Mac operating system is licensed for use on laptops and IBM Clones "Mac" ceases to be a hardware device and becomes a software application.

So you're are saying car's are motorbikes?  :huh:

More or less.  It's all in the definition of the word. originally from celtic to mean carry (carriage). In english it means a wheeled vehicle.  That's what a motorbike is.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=car&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=51NSU5SFOYaikQW_-4HgDQ#channel=sb&q=car+etymology&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

More or less.  It's all in the definition of the word. originally from celtic to mean carry (carriage). In english it means a wheeled vehicle.  That's what a motorbike is.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=car&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=51NSU5SFOYaikQW_-4HgDQ#channel=sb&q=car+etymology&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Sure, but as accurate as that is or isn't (because at that point it becomes a philosophical question) in terms of day to day communication, meanings are dictated to a very large extent by conventional, common, contemporary usage. Ultimately if the purpose of an individual's communication is to make themselves understood for their own ends, then the responsibility is their's to use language that would be correctly interpreted by the recipient (of the communication). 

I think the question is more easily answered if you frame it a different way. i.e.: "Should I use the term P.C. to refer to the Mac?" or this way: "Will people assume I'm talking about a Mac if I use the term P.C."

...If the answer is "no" then ask "why?" and the answer to that question "why" reveals the distinction that justifies using the two different descriptive nouns "Mac" & "P.C".

Sure, but as accurate as that might be, meaning is dictated to a very large extent by conventional, common, contemporary usage. Ultimately if the purpose of an individual's communication is to make themselves understood for their own ends, then the responsibility is there's to use language that would be correctly interpreted by the recipient (of the communication). 

I think the question is more easily answered if you frame it a different way. i.e.: "Should I use the term P.C. to refer to the Mac?", or "Will people assume I'm talking about a Mac if I call it a P.C." If the answer is "no" then ask "why?" and that answer is the distinction that requires the differing descriptive nouns (i.e. "Mac" & "P.C").

of course.

But intention doesn't change the definition of a word, so if you want to differentiate between a mac and another form of personal computer then you can call it a mac or call it a pc and hope the listener has the same experience with the term pc (according to this thread that's not likely), but to say a mac isn't a personal computer is erroneous regardless of ones intentions.

of course.

But intention doesn't change the definition of a word, so if you want to differentiate between a mac and another form of personal computer then you can call it a mac or call it a pc and hope the listener has the same experience with the term pc (according to this thread that's not likely), but to say a mac isn't a personal computer is erroneous regardless of ones intentions.

:P Well therein lies the rub: I'm not disputing that a Mac is a personal computer, I believe it is. I just believe use of the term "P.C." as a descriptor for a "Mac" is incorrect, like calling my mainly AMD & Gigabyte-manufactured IBM clone running Windows 7 a "Mac" would be incorrect.

Similarly...

My Walkman is a digital storage and playback device that stores and plays MP3s but it's not an IPod (although that is debatable. For instance, shouldn't I just call it an IPod and stop being fussy about calling it a Walkman? Is IPod now a generic term for mp3 playback devices regardless of their manufacturer?)

A car is a vehicle with wheels but it's not a motorbike.

"P.C." means one thing, "Mac" means another, so one is not the other (even if they're both personal computers).

;)

They're both computers, they both can be personal to you, but the common usage for the term "P.C." is to specifically signify an "IBM clone" rather than a Mac or a Laptop (or more accurately the inverse is true and so the IBM clone adopts the signifier "P.C." by default). 

Another example: I buy Sony MP3 players, and I call them my Walkman not my IPod. Is a digital Walkman that stores and plays MP3 files an IPod?

At the point where Apple open their hardware for use with other operating systems then the hardware they produce could be considered a different form of P.C. since you'd be able to install Windows or Linux etc. to it. At the point where the Mac operating system is licensed for use on laptops and IBM Clones "Mac" ceases to be a hardware device and becomes a software application.

no, it's like saying a motorbike and a car is a vehicle, they fall under a common denominator, a desktop computer is a desktop computer and a laptop is a laptop, but they are both a pc, just the same way a car is a car and a moped is a moped that doesn't mean that both can't be motor vehicles, because they are.

:P Well therein lies the rub: I'm not disputing that a Mac is a personal computer, I believe it is. I just believe use of the term "P.C." as a descriptor for a "Mac" is incorrect.

Similarly...

My Walkman is a digital storage and playback device that stores and plays MP3s but it's not an IPod.

A car is a vehicle with wheels but it's not a motorbike.

"P.C." means one thing, "Mac" means another, so one is not the other.

of course a walkman is not an ipod, but they are both mp3 players. a mac is not a windows machine, but they are both pc's

By your logic a windows machine means one thing and a PC tmeans another herefore a windows machine cannot be a pc.

The fact is they are both pc's

no, it's like saying a motorbike and a car is a vehicle, they fall under a common denominator, a desktop computer is a desktop computer and a laptop is a laptop, but they are both a pc, just the same way a car is a car and a moped is a moped that doesn't mean that both can't be motor vehicles, because they are.

of course a walkman is not an ipod, but they are both mp3 players. a mac is not a windows machine, but they are both pc's

By your logic a windows machine means one thing and a PC tmeans another herefore a windows machine cannot be a pc.

The fact is they are both pc's

Not true, the concept I'm trying to express is that in the collective consciousness the term "P.C." mainly signifies something different to the thing mainly signified by the term "Mac" so the one shouldn't be confused with the other.

All thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/141474-isnt-a-mac-a-pc/page-3#entry1892498

As I say, at some point it does just become a philosophical question.  ;)

no.

*snip*

i think we have done enough teaspoon feeding at this point, if someone doesn't want to listen they simply don't want to listen.

I think this is just becoming a circular argument...

Not true, the concept that I'm trying to express is that in the collective consciousness the term "P.C." mainly signifies something different to the thing mainly signified by the term "Mac" so the one shouldn't be confused with the other.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/141474-isnt-a-mac-a-pc/page-3#entry1892498

Yes it is.

But Apple wants to differentiate themselves, they are the ones who made the ads saying otherwise.

Apples gotta be for the cool kids, not us nerdy types.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

tl;dr
PC = Personal computer
Mac = PC made by Apple Inc.

Windows = OS made by Microsoft
OS X = OS made by Apple Inc.

A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator. This contrasted with the batch processing or time-sharing models which allowed larger, more expensive minicomputer and mainframe systems to be used by many people, usually at the same time. Large data processing systems require a full-time staff to operate efficiently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

The Macintosh, marketed as Mac, is a line of personal computers (PCs) designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc. It was initially targeted mainly at the home, education, and creative professional markets. Since the introduction of the Macintosh, the computer has seen significant evolution, now making it one of the most powerful general purpose computers on the market. It now targets the business, science, and law markets as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh

They're both MP3 players. You're just using the trademarked name, which is the same as asking:

• Is my iPhone a HTC One? No, they're both phones.
  • Is my Volkswagen a Mercedez? No, they're both cars.
  • Is my Nexus 7 an iPad? No, they're both tablets.

You can install other OS's to a Mac.

My Walkman is a digital storage and playback device that stores and plays MP3s but it's not an IPod (although that is debatable. For instance, shouldn't I just call it an IPod and stop being fussy about calling it a Walkman? Is IPod now a generic term for mp3 playback devices regardless of their manufacturer?)

Why do you think a trademarked name should be used for a whole product category just because it's widely used by the people who don't know the correct terms? iPod isn't a generic term for an MP3 player, it's a registered trademark of Apple Inc.

Walkman is a Sony brand tradename originally used for portable audio cassette players, and now used to market Sony's portable audio and video players as well as a line of former Sony Ericsson mobile phones. The original Walkman introduced a change in music listening habits by allowing people to carry music with them and listen to music through lightweight headphones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkman

The iPod is a line of portable media players designed and marketed by Apple Inc. The first line was released on October 23, 2001, about 8½ months after iTunes (Macintosh version) was released. iTunes is a media player, media library, and mobile device management application. The most recent iPod redesigns were announced on September 12, 2012. There are four current versions of the iPod: the ultra-compact iPod Shuffle, the compact iPod Nano, the touchscreen iPod Touch, and the hard drive-based iPod Classic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

I think this is just becoming a circular argument...

No it's not, just use the correct terms.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10