Using google maps to track Russian troops

poochyena

Yea, yea, has a political backdrop, but this is about the bigger picture of the technology, not this specifically relating to Ukraine/Russia.

Summary

A team in California was able to track Russia's movements into Ukraine using google maps.

Quotes

It was 3:15 a.m. in Belgorod, Russia — much too early for a traffic jam, thought Jeffrey Lewis, who was watching the traffic pileup on Google Maps.

Lewis, a professor specializing in arms control and nonproliferation at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, Calif., was monitoring Google Maps with a research team of students he mentors as part of a project to analyze images taken from space. He and his team realized what was happening: a Russian armored unit was moving toward the border with Ukraine.

By combining Google Maps traffic information with a radar image that showed troops, Lewis and his team realized an invasion was underway hours before the news became public and from thousands of miles away in California. Russia officially announced its assault on Ukraine on Thursday morning, which President Biden called “unprovoked and unjustified.”

My thoughts

What a crazy way to use google maps. I never imagined using traffic data from google maps in such a sophisticated way. Imagine invading a country and having your army's locations revealed by google maps. This is absolutely a tactic that will be heavily used in the future. As he says, its not even tracking the Russians specifically, but the people around them, so even though the soldiers may have no tracking devices, the people around them do, and their affects on them, even just causing a traffic jam, alerts others to their position.

Sources

https://wapo.st/3HxfZyw

Google bad. Stop using Google.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Google be like "yes yes more data".

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

To clear up a misconception: The traffic data is most likely NOT from soldiers carrying smartphones. Instead, civilians are probably getting stuck at roadblocks and @googlemaps is recording that.

To add on: I saw somewhere online that the Russian soldiers had their personal phones taken. I don't remember where I saw/heard that, so for now take it with skepticism considering the amount of misinformation about the war.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

There's no info here that Ukraine/NATO knows already, probably

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It's pretty cool. It also makes for great potential decoy tactics given that you can createa a "traffic jam" by hauling around a bunch of phones in a little wagon as well (if they haven't somehow patched that).

I was about to ask if the military was really that ignorant about who and what their gear phones home to, but then luckily the second tweet made it make more sense.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

*when google already banned it for their own army*

when a super power holds a bit too much power and data.

if this is a good thing or not.

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

*when google already banned it for their own army*

when a super power holds a bit too much power and data.

if this is a good thing or not.

Google's suspension of live traffic data is generally a good thing. It does make it harder to track Russian movements and is less convenient for Ukranians (though they can use live traffic in nav mode), but this also makes it harder for Russia to spot Ukranian troops and fleeing civilians. I wouldn't want Ukranians to die because Russia noticed a convoy in advance.