Dell sent me 2 pc

Hi, asking to Quebecois, since im from Quebec

I ordered a pc, dell sent me 2, any legal articles I can consult to see if it's legal for me to keep? 
I found this one here -> https://www.consolidatedcreditcanada.ca/financial-news/the-consumer-protection-act/ but its for Ontario, so just making sure if it either applies for Quebec or Quebec has some sort of law on it itself.

Thanks for your time

Just keep the box for a month or two in case you need to ship it back, if they haven't contacted you by then they probably dont know or don't care so feel free to keep it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Welcome to the forums!
I saw a thread on this forum around December where Dell sent some guy 10 laptops when he ordered one for no extra charge. AFAIK it is legal to keep since that was their mistake and they handed the property off to you

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!
I saw a thread on this forum around December where Dell sent some guy 10 laptops when he ordered one for no extra charge. AFAIK it is legal to keep since that was their mistake and they handed the property off to you

thats what i believed too, but i just wanted to make sure if there were any legal differences since were probably in different countries/provinces

I believe it's federal but Quebec has all types of special rules.

At least now you have a backup for when the first one breaks.

Don't feel bad for dell as this is what you get when you have such a terribly inadequate workforce. 

24 minutes ago, Heliian said:

I believe it's federal but Quebec has all types of special rules.

At least now you have a backup for when the first one breaks.

Don't feel bad for dell as this is what you get when you have such a terribly inadequate workforce. 

yeah, just want some legal confirmation dont wanna get into any legal troubles XD

Locks keep the honest man honest.

To be an honest person, you apply only the least amount of effort.

Contact them, make arrangements to return it. 

That's what an honest man would do. 

35 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Locks keep the honest man honest.

To be an honest person, you apply only the least amount of effort.

Contact them, make arrangements to return it. 

That's what an honest man would do. 

yeah they just messaged me wanting it back i think ill return it

Yes, it's legal to keep.

If you're sent something unsolicited, you can keep it without feeling bad.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yes, it's legal to keep.

If you're sent something unsolicited, you can keep it without feeling bad.

You can check my other posts in the 14 laptops from Dell topic.  But it's not unsolicited if you have active dealings with them, ie buying a PC from them. It's all covered in the Canadian regulations and act.

1 pc is not really worth going after legally but it's not worth the hassle from them either.

If they asked for it back, just have them pay for the shipping in advance and send it back.

.. take the gpu out of it first 😉

Jk, still dishonest to do that.  

I know in the UK if you've only had electronic communications with someone and they send you something that you didn't ask for you're under no legal obligation to send it back.  Even if they ask for it.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

yes yes, they contacted me, i dont know what to do now the replies are a little confusing, our law does allow us to : 

Delivery of goods

Under the Consumer Protection Act, when you order a product, it must be delivered within 30 days of the promised delivery date or you can ask for a refund. However, if you choose to keep the item that was delivered late, you lose your right to get a refund for it.

You also can’t be charged for receiving an item or service that you did not request. You can use the item or throw it away.

well, for canada and ontario, i'm in quebec, so im not sure if its different, but the dell address is in Ontario

Thanks for your time

15 minutes ago, EmperorKandyKatsuVonKandai said:

yes yes, they contacted me, i dont know what to do now the replies are a little confusing, our law does allow us to : 

Delivery of goods

Under the Consumer Protection Act, when you order a product, it must be delivered within 30 days of the promised delivery date or you can ask for a refund. However, if you choose to keep the item that was delivered late, you lose your right to get a refund for it.

You also can’t be charged for receiving an item or service that you did not request. You can use the item or throw it away.

well, for canada and ontario, i'm in quebec, so im not sure if its different, but the dell address is in Ontario

Thanks for your time

Aha a fellow québécois. Well, dell already asked it back so just make them pay for the return shipping. And considering you bought it in Quebec, the laws of Quebec apply to companies and consumers. Also, Quebec is Quebec so the laws are way different (for the most part) from the ones in Ontario, I’m not surprised if there’s some law about returning “extra” items

19 minutes ago, EmperorKandyKatsuVonKandai said:

Delivery of goods

Thanks for your time

They thing is, you did request the item, they just got the quantity wrong. You should really ask a law firm, not a tech forum. There is so much speculation and guessing. Unless the answer comes from a verified lawyer, I would not trust any of our replies. 

19 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

They thing is, you did request the item, they just got the quantity wrong. You should really ask a law firm, not a tech forum. There is so much speculation and guessing. Unless the answer comes from a verified lawyer, I would not trust any of our replies. 

yeah but a lawyer costs no? so i jsut came here hoping some person would have the information i need

17 minutes ago, EmperorKandyKatsuVonKandai said:

yeah but a lawyer costs no? so i jsut came here hoping some person would have the information i need

If I sent you 2 processors by mistake, I'm sure you'd send one back... right?

I'm just old Shrmpy. You could easily keep it, but would you?

1 hour ago, EmperorKandyKatsuVonKandai said:

There are lots of ways to get a free answer from a lawyer. Start by finding law based forum. Or even contact a law department of a university. Plenty of law students would be able to help. 

5 hours ago, EmperorKandyKatsuVonKandai said:

yeah they just messaged me wanting it back i think ill return it

1st: this is what you should do.

2nd: Any legal advice received from a forum can only be taken for face value, regardless of, if the person giving you the legal advice is a lawyer. It won't be held in court. FYI

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, EmperorKandyKatsuVonKandai said:

or you can just send back what you didn't pay for, like a decent person.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

In law there's a thing called good faith and bad faith. Basically if you know what you're doing is wrong it can be considered illegal. It could be argued here I guess. I'm by no means an expert, but if you want to be safe then send it back. See https://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=21 and more specifically for canada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_of_honest_contractual_performance

Are you eleven?  Just ask for a return label and ship it back jfc

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If I were in this situation, and Dell asked for said PC back, I would inform them that I would gladly return it should they provide a pre paid shipping label. 

No need to make things complicated unless they do not want to pay for return shipping.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

From a legal perspective, just because they mistakenly shipped two units does not mean it is yours to keep. If you do decide to keep it, Dell is within their right to send you a bill and to collections if you choose not to pay for it. 

They are responsible for retrieving the misdelivered item. Do not ship the item back at your own expense. You should request them to arrange for a courier to retrieve the item at no cost to you. 

Wow, 2 desktops for the price of one?

Yeah, I will feel extra guilty to keep both, so I'll return 1 to them.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

i agree with the majority of people here, you know the right answer. you are looking for someone to give you the okay to fell good about keeping it, but imo, it's wrong. i'm a believer in karma. just my 2 cents, no judgement either way.