With the newegg and gamer nexus problem, UFD Tech also had a problem with Newegg in 2020 and newegg attempted to use hush money

TheawesomeMCB

Summary

After what happened with gamers nexus and the motherboard scandal going on, UFD Tech also shared on twitter that he was never paid and recently made a video on it, There was 2 sponsorships in 2020 and on top of that newegg sponsored a charity stream and had never paid him or gave the prize to the person and UFD had to personally give the prize to that winner himself.

Quotes

"And I had dealt this behind the scenes for quite some time until Gamers Nexus released their videos about how they got screwed over by newegg, at which I tweeted about the fact that I didn't get paid by newegg.

And just like steve said in his videos once they called it out publicly that's when newegg actually tried to deal with the Situation" -UFD Tech

"Regardless, were inputting $1,500 (3 times) what we owe you into your account as a bonus" -Newegg

"I really had given up on this situation until gamersnexus started making their videos, I decided that maybe people should know that newegg doesn't even treat youtubers with any sort of respect. If they feel like they're not going to be damaged publicly" -UFD Tech

My thoughts

It looks like to be that Newegg is also trying to take to damage control after UFD Tech called them out by bribing them after he called them out on twitter. Not to mention that UFD Tech also said they tried to pin the blame on a former employee at the company. However the main problem is that the person was also CC'd about these email's as well. And he never responded to any of them until he called out Newegg on twitter. I find that this behavior is disgusting and that this just shows to light that this brings that newegg tried to take to damage control but actually just added more fuel to the fire. If this doesn't fully make sense I would just point to the source as that video fully explains what fully happened.

Sources

In one sentence - Incompetence which is borderline fraudulent.

I had a retailer that tried to use dirty and fraudulent tactics on me - I sent scary legal threats written in a very convincing legalese (the language of lawyers :D)

Only then they gave me the money they should have given me from the beginning.

Don't give them time - That's a mistake,since they like to abuse it and basically do nothing.

The maximum you should give them is a month,and if a month has passed - press on them really hard,

Threaten them,harass them,don't let them BS you,and if that doesn't work then get the authorities involved and don't forget to clarify to them that that's something you can do.

And off course revealing it to the public,especially when you have a large following is another way to pressure them.

Most people don't know how to deal with such situations,and corporations are abusing it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

In one sentence - Incompetence which is borderline fraudulent.

I had a retailer that tried to use dirty and fraudulent tactics on me - I sent scary legal threats written in a very convincing legalese (the language of lawyers :D)

Only then they gave me the money they should have given me from the beginning.

Don't give them time - That's a mistake,since they like to abuse it and basically do nothing.

The maximum you should give them is a month,and if a month has passed - press on them really hard,

Threaten them,harass them,don't let them BS you,and if that doesn't work then get the authorities involved and don't forget to clarify to them that that's something you can do.

And off course revealing it to the public,especially when you have a large following is another way to pressure them.

Most people don't know how to deal with such situations,and corporations are abusing it.

I honestly believe most companies make things difficult on purpose so that 90% of the people will see how much of a hassle it is and simply give up. I mean at a certain point if the money isn't huge it really isn't worth the time to try and get your money back. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I honestly believe most companies make things difficult on purpose so that 90% of the people will see how much of a hassle it is and simply give up. I mean at a certain point if the money isn't huge it really isn't worth the time to try and get your money back. 

Even though i know how to deal with them i prefer not to go through the hassle from the get go.

So i carefully check who i am doing business with,and sometimes i have someone else deal with it for me if it happens,though most people don't have that luxury.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Few things are worse than that, I can think of a few but well.. surely newegg wouldn't do those...

I am sure they have done those 😄

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

Incompetence which is borderline fraudulent.

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Really needs to be changed to something like:

"No amount of incompetence rules out malice"

Here is how it went (or what is my best guess):

1. Costumer_A  bought the mobo and damaged the socket when installing CPU

2. Costumer_A send it back to Newegg for repair

3. Newegg send it back to GigaByte for repair

4. GigaByte quoted 100$ for the repair

5. (guess) Newegg quoted Costumer_A 200$ for the repair

6. (guess) Costumer_A declined repair

7. GigaByte send the mobo back to Newegg

8. Instead of sending the mobo back to Costumer_A or disposing it, it got back into inventory (incompetence is plausible for that)

9a. Newegg sold the board to Costumer_B (Steve) as "open box" without checking content ( incompetence is plausible for that)

9b. Newegg sold the board to Costumer_B (Steve) as "open box" fully knowing it was e-waste

10. Costumer_B send it back without opening the box

11. Newegg checks the mobo, sees the damage but somehow fails to notice the old RMA sticker on it (not plausible at all)

12. Newegg tries to shaft Costumer_B (malice without a doubt)

It's pretty surprising that Newegg even let this happen. It's gross incompetence at best and malicious at worse. It feels like Newegg though they were untouchable and they didn't need to care about UFD doing anything privately. I hope they take this situation and fix their internal issues. Unfortunately I doubt upper management even knows what they're doing at this point. After the second GN video I asked Newegg to delete my account and I'll never use it again. There's plenty of other shops I can order from online.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg like some other companies I know, have targets + bonuses for customer care/ repair staff to get rid of customers making RMAs etc. 

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Why do people care more when it starts impacting influencers?

My shovel hurts more than your repressed memories.

2 hours ago, Annika said:

Because if a person has 1 million followers and 500k of them buy from that store and the influencer calls them out what they are doing, and know that’s not okay and all 500k agree to stop buying from them, that will dramatically hurt their profits.

As much as I love assuming the worst out of a for-profit company (I mean this genuinely -- it's extremely hard to not assume the worst when profit is involved at a scale like this), there is the slight chance that what Brett was offered wasn't exactly hush money, but rather a princely sum that the rep intended to use to boost Newegg's PR.

I mean, it doesn't make it better, but something doesn't sit right with me about the fact that he immediately characterized it as "hush money." Still doesn't minimize/excuse the shitty behavior on Newegg's part, even if I do take Brett's side of, "hey I get it we're all human."

2 hours ago, Annika said:

I care because an influencer making these claims is, in essence, someone staking their entire reputation and brand on the fact that these claims are accurate. I do believe a lot of grievance stores against Newegg are true and valid, but the fact that someone big is staking their name behind these claims isn't something that should just be scoffed at.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

The problem I see with all this Newegg bashing is literally nothing will change anyway. Where else are you going to get your parts from? Everywhere else is either gone out of business or doesn't have 1/3rd of the inventory Newegg does. The PC parts industry is ruthless and I think all Newegg is doing is showing how ruthless you have to be to make it in the industry because no one else seems to still be around anymore.

39 minutes ago, CT854 said:

As much as I love assuming the worst out of a for-profit company (I mean this genuinely -- it's extremely hard to not assume the worst when profit is involved at a scale like this), there is the slight chance that what Brett was offered wasn't exactly hush money, but rather a princely sum that the rep intended to use to boost Newegg's PR.

I mean, it doesn't make it better, but something doesn't sit right with me about the fact that he immediately characterized it as "hush money." Still doesn't minimize/excuse the shitty behavior on Newegg's part, even if I do take Brett's side of, "hey I get it we're all human."

I care because an influencer making these claims is, in essence, someone staking their entire reputation and brand on the fact that these claims are accurate. I do believe a lot of grievance stores against Newegg are true and valid, but the fact that someone big is staking their name behind these claims isn't something that should just be scoffed at.

My point was that nobody cares if it happens to an average joe regardless of all the proof they have, the second it happens to an influencer, that's when everyone starts believing it and/or caring.  As for the hush money ya that's because an influencer's word is going to do more damage then an average joe's.  Which, in my opinion, is messed up.  People seem to only care when it happens to their precious.  A lot of influencer's abuse their power, and the forum's owner is a prime example of that.   Remember when he told you to put your electronics in the oven?  Hm.   Remember how he told you what piracy is because it was hurting him financially, but he has an arcade machine at his company with pirated games and pirates windows.   Just because someone is an influencer doesn't mean they're a good person.   I mean Steve is a little more reputable than Linus, but at the same time that doesn't mean he doesn't ever abuse his power, as influencer, in the most Karen way possible.  That's why I don't put these type of people on a pedestal because they don't actual care about you.  They created a platform for profit, and that's what they all care about in the end, profit.

Spoiler

See the source image

54 minutes ago, TheawesomeMCB said:

Because if a person has 1 million followers and 500k of them buy from that store and the influencer calls them out what they are doing, and know that’s not okay and all 500k agree to stop buying from them, that will dramatically hurt their profits.

Which again, is messed up.  It shouldn't take a bunch of sheep to follow a herder to get results.  Every voice should matter, and continuing this methodology of conformity is more problematic than you think.  Why?  Because that's also going to make the business think that only the influencer's voice matters and not your own.  So, you're not really helping yourself as much as you think you are.  Welcome to the wonderful world of conformity.

Spoiler

See the source image

47 minutes ago, Annika said:

My point was that nobody cares if it happens to an average joe regardless of all the proof they have, the second it happens to an influencer, that's when everyone starts believing it and/or caring.  As for the hush money ya that's because an influencer's word is going to do more damage then an average joe's.  Which, in my opinion, is messed up.  People seem to only care when it happens to their precious.  A lot of influencer's abuse their power, and the forum's owner is a prime example of that.   Remember when he told you to put your electronics in the oven?  Hm.   Remember how he told you what piracy is because it was hurting him financially, but he has an arcade machine at his company with pirated games and pirates windows.   Just because someone is an influencer doesn't mean they're a good person.   I mean Steve is a little more reputable than Linus, but at the same time that doesn't mean he doesn't ever abuse his power, as influencer, in the most Karen way possible.  That's why I don't put these type of people on a pedestal because they don't actual care about you.  They created a platform for profit, and that's what they all care about in the end, profit.

Reveal hidden contents

See the source image

Which again, is messed up.  It shouldn't take a bunch of sheep to follow a herder to get results.  Every voice should matter, and continuing this methodology of conformity is more problematic than you think.  Why?  Because that's also going to make the business think that only the influencer's voice matters and not your own.  So, you're not really helping yourself as much as you think you are.  Welcome to the wonderful world of conformity.

Reveal hidden contents

See the source image

Speaking of piracy LInus is two faced person when it comes to that. He went off on people using AdBlock but is pirating software from a small time dev https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/srhalz/linus_tech_tips_pirating_occt_answer_from_the_dev/

Edit: I think I might actually create a new news topic on this it's pretty new stuff happening on Reddit

Just deleted my Newegg bookmarks and replaced it with CanadaComputer.
I have had issues before with Newegg support on a DOA return, all this stuff is just the cherry on top.
Buying on Newegg has always been a gamble to me, because if I get a bad part, I am screwed. They only care when you start bringing in the chargeback threats if they don't accept the return on a faulty product (a PSU and RAM for me). That's why I like Amazon, even if their prices are a bit higher on computer hardware, returns are made so easy and free (unlike Newegg which made me pay for return shipping, +15% "restock fee" even though the product was faulty and they claim they don't take a restocking fee for that...).
I was keeping them in my bookmarks for the once in a while deal and the hope of getting a GPU, but now... Nah.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Speaking of piracy LInus is two faced person when it comes to that. He went off on people using AdBlock but is pirating software from a small time dev https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/srhalz/linus_tech_tips_pirating_occt_answer_from_the_dev/

Edit: I think I might actually create a new news topic on this it's pretty new stuff happening on Reddit

Oh, I'm aware of that.  He calls himself an educational platform, but spreads more misinforatmion and clickbait that actually educating people.  You can't be deemed an educational platform with his practices.  He can assume he is, but he's really not.

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Just deleted my Newegg bookmarks and replaced it with CanadaComputer.
I have had issues before with Newegg support on a DOA return, all this stuff is just the cherry on top.
Buying on Newegg has always been a gamble to me, because if I get a bad part, I am screwed. They only care when you start bringing in the chargeback threats if they don't accept the return on a faulty product (a PSU and RAM for me). That's why I like Amazon, even if their prices are a bit higher on computer hardware, returns are made so easy and free (unlike Newegg which made me pay for return shipping, +15% "restock fee" even though the product was faulty...).
I was keeping them in my bookmarks for the once in a while deal and the hope of getting a GPU, but now... Nah.

I've only had problems with them ons discord where they act holier than thou if you don't conform to their childish opinions.

Newegg be like "how many bridges can we burn at once for a world record?" 😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Annika said:

My point was that nobody cares if it happens to an average joe regardless of all the proof they have, the second it happens to an influencer, that's when everyone starts believing it and/or caring. 

Oh, for sure, you're right in that the primary motive is profit for both the influencer and the company. My point was more, though, that irrespective of an influencer's motives, the utility to the end consumer is the same -- someone is staking something to make these claims, and that puts weight behind it on top of whatever evidence surfaces from other people who did decide to come forward before and after reporting on it.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

6 hours ago, Annika said:

Reveal hidden contents

See the source image

Reveal hidden contents

See the source image

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to care about someone's claim when you actually know who they are vs some random person. I mean it's the same as if your close friend or relative made a claim vs someone random. Even if a coworker made a claim you would be more likely to believe them than just some random person. Also this is a person with a large audience so understandably more people are going to hear about it. I had never heard of such things happening until this story as I imagine is the same for others as well. So yeah it does help when someone with a large audience exposes a companies trashy behavior as it let's alot of people know about it that may not have previously. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to care about someone's claim when you actually know who they are vs some random person. I mean it's the same as if your close friend or relative made a claim vs someone random. Even if a coworker made a claim you would be more likely to believe them than just some random person. Also this is a person with a large audience so understandably more people are going to hear about it. I had never heard of such things happening until this story as I imagine is the same for others as well. So yeah it does help when someone with a large audience exposes a companies trashy behavior as it let's alot of people know about it that may not have previously. 

The problem is that continuing to use this mindset is not helping society at all.  It's giving corporations a gain and making you have trust issues towards someone at the same time.  I've known of the complaints against Newegg for years now, and the people usually have solid evidence.   Newegg's people have become divas and try pulling a lot of bs for profit.  Personally, I haven't had these issues.  I don't shop religiously at Newegg/rarely, but I've enteracted with people there and they tend to, again, have a holier than thou attitude.  Their Discord is mostly a circle jerk of "conform or else!"

5 minutes ago, Annika said:

The problem is that continuing to use this mindset is not helping society at all.  It's giving corporations a gain and making you have trust issues towards someone at the same time.  I've known of the complaints against Newegg for years now, and the people usually have solid evidence.   Newegg's people have become divas and try pulling a lot of bs for profit.  Personally, I haven't had these issues.  I don't shop religiously at Newegg/rarely, but I've enteracted with people there and they tend to, again, have a holier than thou attitude.  Their Discord is mostly a circle jerk of "conform or else!"

This is basic human nature and isn't really something you can blame people for. We trust what we know and who we know. I'm sorry but trying to make people trust strangers as much as people they know is just downright crazy. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

This is basic human nature and isn't really something you can blame people for. We trust what we know and who we know. I'm sorry but trying to make people trust strangers as much as people they know is just downright crazy. 

Trusting strangers is also how human life works.  In fact, that's how society works too.  If you went to school you were taught by a stranger you forced to trust.  You were born into the life forced to trust strangers.  Early hunter-gatherers were groupings of strangers that knew one another over time.  If you're religious you're trusting a stranger to preach about a stranger you're supposed to trust.  In fact, most of the lack of trust is based on the human nature of fear.  For example, remember hearing how you can't take Apples from strangers at Halloween?  The actual offender was the father of the children, iirc.   Reality is, you're more likely to know someone committing crimes against you than not.

4 hours ago, Annika said:

Trusting strangers is also how human life works.  In fact, that's how society works too.  If you went to school you were taught by a stranger you forced to trust.  You were born into the life forced to trust strangers.  Early hunter-gatherers were groupings of strangers that knew one another over time.  If you're religious you're trusting a stranger to preach about a stranger you're supposed to trust.  In fact, most of the lack of trust is based on the human nature of fear.  For example, remember hearing how you can't take Apples from strangers at Halloween?  The actual offender was the father of the children, iirc.   Reality is, you're more likely to know someone committing crimes against you than not.

That is clearly different. We trust institutions as well so a teacher is generally trusted because we trust in the institutions that allow them to be teachers. It's sorta like how we trust a doctor because we know they went to school and got their MD and passed all of the tests and required experience. Trying to compare that to people trusting a random person on the internet review is completely different. Honestly if there was one place where trusting a stranger is stupid to do it would be the internet.