I Hate This... New House Cell Repeater Setup

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Cool video, but pretty sure it would be much cheaper/quicker to switch phones and/or to a provider that offered wifi calling/texting.

11 minutes ago, TurboKangaroo said:

Cool video, but pretty sure it would be much cheaper/quicker to switch phones and/or to a provider that offered wifi calling/texting.

Linus mentioned at the start that would work for him, but not for guests visiting the house. He also mentioned that it doesn't help with SMS.

Not sure how it works in the land of Canada, but I have pretty cruddy cell reception here in the states.  3800sqft house in the middle of no where, very spotty cell service through verizon.   I called them, told them the situation and they sent me a Cell "Booster" like you mentioned in the video, except for mine goes through the internet.   So full bars, great service, as long as the net is online.   Really useful so I dont have to give out wifi passwords anymore, cells just "work".

image.png.c05e6a0d0606e805c8856e3e661f4921.pngimage.png.28504b6ee2e008c4088a993f031021b7.png

I'm surprised this system uses only single outdoor antenna. My LTE router setup has two antennas ( visually identical to the ones Linus is using), mounted perpendicular to each other for vertical and horizontal polarization. 

Looks like the system Linus uses can support up to 4 antennas for a 4x4 MIMO system. 

You should really put a disclaimer on that video that people should check their local laws before installing a cell repeater. Any cell repeaters unless they are sold and installed by your mobile service provider are very much illegal in my and several other countries and you could pay huge fines when they catch you since only the cell companies that purchased the mobile frequencies have licences to broadcast on them.

You can purchase those devices pretty much everywhere but using them is a whole different story. If you do want to do this please check your local laws first or you could get into a lot of trouble.

1 hour ago, motomat86 said:

Not sure how it works in the land of Canada, but I have pretty cruddy cell reception here in the states.  3800sqft house in the middle of no where, very spotty cell service through verizon.   I called them, told them the situation and they sent me a Cell "Booster" like you mentioned in the video, except for mine goes through the internet.   So full bars, great service, as long as the net is online.   Really useful so I dont have to give out wifi passwords anymore, cells just "work".

image.png.c05e6a0d0606e805c8856e3e661f4921.pngimage.png.28504b6ee2e008c4088a993f031021b7.png

Do you know the model of the one you have? The one my service provider sent me used an antenna and did not work at all.

58 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

RejZoR's Tech Tip

Wider part of the ladder goes on the ground, not up in the air.

For a moment I thought it's some weird American/Canadian thing, but the guys actually put the ladder upside down. LOL

You've never seen th foldable ladders that can go to a straight ladder?

I haven't looked into this in a number of years so I'm sure things have changed to a degree, but I remember that you needed to get multiple types of boosters to encompass all the different bands that your carriers are broadcasting.
Also to clarify their confusion when they got a higher upload speed over the download. Likely the signal booster was connecting them to 4G LTE band 4 (AWS) which operates by connecting to 2 separate frequency's for upload and download. 2100MHz for download, and 1700MHz for upload. The 400MHz difference can be enough to cause you to have enough signal strength change that your upload is much better lol.

1 hour ago, Bacher said:

Do you know the model of the one you have? The one my service provider sent me used an antenna and did not work at all.

this is what it is, but the price is 0 usd aslong as you contact them and explain why you need it.  (atleast it was for me, not sure if verizon support is regional or if its pooled so YMMV)  Model number on the back of it is ASK-SFE116

image.thumb.png.e79c2ac71510f1c40a8ff7bc4c5f84e0.png

1 hour ago, motomat86 said:

You've never seen th foldable ladders that can go to a straight ladder?

Yeah, it looked like one of those Little Giant type ladders.

That could've been dangerous had he climbed high enough to stand only on the fly section. (Doing that weirds me out even on regular extension ladders.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, motomat86 said:

this is what it is, but the price is 0 usd aslong as you contact them and explain why you need it.  (atleast it was for me, not sure if verizon support is regional or if its pooled so YMMV)  Model number on the back of it is ASK-SFE116

image.thumb.png.e79c2ac71510f1c40a8ff7bc4c5f84e0.png

This is interesting.  It seems that your phone connects to this device and then this device converts the signal and allows you to make a 'wifi' call. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Reminds me of the mesh network i have at home.. funny gif rrelated to that problem:

Sometimes Maybe Good Sometimes Maybe Bad GIF - Sometimes Maybe Good  Sometimes Maybe Bad Sometimes Maybe Shit - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I just tried working with waveform on a quatra 4000 system and had a terrible experience. They wouldn't sell just the hardware to install myself, insisting that it could only be installed by their professional installers. When I mentioned that their website stated "Like almost all of our products, the Cel-Fi QUATRA 4000 can be installed by anyone who feels comfortable doing simple home repairs and running cabling." they informed me that the website was wrong and they couldn't control it. At that point they basically just didn't want to talk to me anymore. Super frustrating.

if you have an iphone you can enable wifi calling , im pretty sure most androids support this as well since apple is 10 years late to features

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

31 minutes ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

if you have an iphone you can enable wifi calling , im pretty sure most androids support this as well since apple is 10 years late to features

Linus said in the video that the decision to support wifi calling or not relies entirely on the service provider, and some of them don't enable that feature.

16 hours ago, N0ps32 said:

Any cell repeaters unless they are sold and installed by your mobile service provider are very much illegal in my and several other countries and you could pay huge fines when they catch you since only the cell companies that purchased the mobile frequencies have licences to broadcast on them.

You are abolute right! Back maybe 10 Years ago as we own an independent Cellphone Shop one Operator gave us an Repeater from that Company: https://www.coiler.com.tw/en/products_detail/48

The came with an Measurment Equipment and check if nothing disturb anything. The Repeater only boost one Freq and the one Provider.

From AT. :x

17 hours ago, N0ps32 said:

You should really put a disclaimer on that video that people should check their local laws before installing a cell repeater. Any cell repeaters unless they are sold and installed by your mobile service provider are very much illegal in my and several other countries and you could pay huge fines when they catch you since only the cell companies that purchased the mobile frequencies have licences to broadcast on them.

You can purchase those devices pretty much everywhere but using them is a whole different story. If you do want to do this please check your local laws first or you could get into a lot of trouble.

Using them and ABUSING them are two different things, just FYI. You can repeat the cell signal but what you can't do is interfere with the bands and cause issues with the network(s). Not saying that's how it is in every country but most are not going to hunt you down for repeating a signal that stays within your own home.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can repeat the cell signal but what you can't do is interfere with the bands and cause issues with the network(s). Not saying that's how it is in every country but most are not going to hunt you down for repeating a signal that stays within your own home.

Yes that's why I said you should check your local laws. Here they will absolutely hunt you down with measurement equipment if they detect anything suspicious. It's even very difficult to get your own provider to install a repeater for you here. I think I've only ever seen that offered for commercial buildings. If you have bad reception you're pretty much SOL here.

Ugh, reminds me of when I used Freedom mobile.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

So does that mean *in principle* I can do a layer 2 tunneling over ipsec or some other vpn solution while keeping the receiver antenna in my home country then *port* the signal via the tunnel to another country and use my service provider there with the repeater unit?