These are the guys who started the Bored Ape Yacht Club

poochyena

Summary

Bored Ape Yacht Club is possibly the most well known collection in the NFT boom happening right now. They have been anonymous until buzzfeednews uncovered their identities.

Quotes

Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), a collection of simian avatars created by four pseudonymous founders, has quickly become an extremely lucrative venture in a fast-growing space. It recently surpassed competitors to become the most expensive NFT collection — the floor price to buy the cheapest ones is now over $280,000, and the collection currently has a market cap of about $2.8 billion. As the value of the asset they produced has skyrocketed, the identities of BYAC’s founders have become the subject of intense interest

BuzzFeed News can now reveal the identities of Bored Apes' two main founders: Greg Solano, a 32-year-old writer and editor, and Wylie Aronow, a 35-year-old originally from Florida.

My thoughts

This is a very good article that I reccomend reading if you want a more nuanced look into the world of NFTs that aren't just memes. Very good journalistic work from buzzfeednews. I expect more to develop in the story as more information comes to light regarding the founders.

Sources

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/bored-ape-nft-founder-identity

i dont really have anything to add. but i just wanna say how much i hate nfts and i feel sorry for the people who eventually are gonna lose all their money because some douche on instagram made them invest in these overpriced jpegs

15 minutes ago, oliver1munkholm said:

i dont really have anything to add. but i just wanna say how much i hate nfts and i feel sorry for the people who eventually are gonna lose all their money because some douche on instagram made them invest in these overpriced jpegs

Then don’t say anything

how do you know they will?

he didn’t make them do it? It’s the choice to do anything they do

theyre not jpegs. They’re a token that can be attached to literally anything

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Summary

Bored Ape Yacht Club is possibly the most well known collection in the NFT boom happening right now. They have been anonymous until buzzfeednews uncovered their identities.

Quotes

My thoughts

This is a very good article that I reccomend reading if you want a more nuanced look into the world of NFTs that aren't just memes. Very good journalistic work from buzzfeednews. I expect more to develop in the story as more information comes to light regarding the founders.

Sources

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/bored-ape-nft-founder-identity

I've heard about NFTs before, and don't really understand why they're worth anything, but to each their own.

My first time hearing about the Bored Ape Yacht Club was from a news article talking about how Justin Bieber just exceedingly overpaid for one of their NFTs.

The NFT craze is honestly perplexing to me.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

In other NFT news

Traders are selling themselves their own NFTs to drive up prices

So I'm not convinced people are actually buying up these stupid apes made with a lazy character generator.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The people trash-talking NFT's in this thread simply don't understand them. They're simply parroting what they've heard others say, or they're jealous because they're priced out.

NFT's have tons of use-cases, and a PFP is just one of them. You can NFT anything. I could tokenize your house, your car, or anything in the physical realm. I could tokenize a piece of music, a piece of art, or a piece of programming code. It's virtually the same as owning the copyright to something. If I release my song as an NFT, and you buy it... theoretically you would have the permission to use that music in whatever way you wanted to.

The foundations for Web3 are still being built, but it IS the future of the Web. So you guys can start DYOR and get on board, or get left behind in the dust.

And yes, there's lots of f**kery going on the NFT space, but what's different from that and the real world? (hint: nothing)

I recommend everybody be careful with their money, and NEVER risk more than you are willing to lose.

Thanks!

Edited by Spotty
removed self promotion

I've stayed away from crypto and I'll stay the fuck away from NFT's. Both are cancer of the tech industry.

1 hour ago, SolAlchemist said:

It's virtually the same as owning the copyright to something.

Ironically, i think you need to lookup what NFTs actually grant you, because it sure as hell isn't the copyright.

Generally, the purchase of an NFT only grants the purchaser ownership of the specific copy or version of the work that the NFT represents. As stated by copyright law expert, Dr Andres Guadamuz, an NFT is simply “a cryptographically signed receipt that you own a unique version of a work”. It is a misconception that purchasing an NFT gives the buyer a proprietary right to every copy or version of the underlying work

Acquiring ownership of an NFT representing a work in which copyright subsists does not, without more, grant the new owner of the NFT copyright in the underlying work.

unless VERY VERY explicitly stated; an NFT is not the same as owning the copyright to whatever the NFT is a token of and even if there was, there is legal documentation that needs to be completed to actually exchange copyright from one individual to another.

29 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah you could also NFT your very first post in the forum

So useful...

I could NFT his first post. goes to show how pointless they are when anyone can NFT anything without any proof or reason.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Tech87 said:

It's a simple to execute pyramid scheme,easy money:

1.Make NFTs

2.Make a lot of buzz about your NFTs in social media

3.People buy them

4.Profit

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Can't wait when people hoard this crap and realize it's all absolutely worthless virtual garbage. I'll be laughing till I piss myself to death.

2 hours ago, SolAlchemist said:

The people trash-talking NFT's in this thread simply don't understand them. 

Copyright infringements,trademark infringements,pyramid schemes,money laundering,environmental harm, and you don't understand why people trash talk NFTs?

2 hours ago, SolAlchemist said:

They're simply parroting what they've heard others say, or they're jealous because they're priced out.

Chill,Don't be disrespectful.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Can't wait when people hoard this crap and realize it's all absolutely worthless virtual garbage. I'll be laughing till I piss myself to death.

Just trade stocks instead if you are into investments...

At least the stock market is regulated,unlike NFTs.

10 hours ago, Tech87 said:

I've heard about NFTs before, and don't really understand why they're worth anything, but to each their own.

My first time hearing about the Bored Ape Yacht Club was from a news article talking about how Justin Bieber just exceedingly overpaid for one of their NFTs.

The thing to understand is that with big Crypto Tokens having value, there's a lot of people with those Tokens that didn't really "earn" that money. Some treated it as an investment, but it was a high risk play that played out. As a result, there's simply a huge flush of "cash" available. Almost none of these big NFTs are actually being transacted in normal money. It's the ETH to USD conversion comparison. 

NFTs are the first application we've seen of "Smart Contracts". I.e. they are in a standardized & tracked ledger online. Nothing more. "Blockchain" is just a very clever ledger system. NFT are sporting event tickets on a public ledger. The biggest NFT space, until the current boom, was the secondary event tickets market. Most of those are digital already, not physical, so you're exchanging money on a platform to someone for a digital token that lets you get into an event.

Thus, we have the perfect storm of a lot of "cash" in a space and people with very little to do with it, productively. As a result, it's ripe for scams.  A whole LOT of scams. Most of the NFTs you're seeing are basically limited membership VIP Clubs. That's what they are selling.  And they're making a commission on the exchange of the NFTs. That's the real game going on. 

12 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Then don’t say anything

how do you know they will?

he didn’t make them do it? It’s the choice to do anything they do

theyre not jpegs. They’re a token that can be attached to literally anything

wdym, nfts are absolutly pointless. They have no value or purpose, thats how i know they are going to crash. as soon as people stop making money they are going to sell for cheap or at a loss, at thats how bubbles pop. 

Greg Solano, a 32-year-old writer and editor

Wylie Aronow, a 35-year-old originally from Florida.

The first one has a job.

The second one survived Florida.

9 hours ago, SolAlchemist said:

It's virtually the same as owning the copyright to something.

This isn't even remotely true. Its more like owning a trading card

Anyone else stuck by the similarities between cashing in on the early success of NFT's and making bank....and Mark Cuban selling broadcast.com to Yahoo for a billion dollars--even though the website had no infrastructure?

It's virtually the same as owning the copyright to something

theoretically you would have the permission to use that music in whatever way you wanted to.

You can't "virtually" own the rights to something, then "theoretically" have permission to use it.

You either own the rights, or you don't. You either have permission to use it, or you don't.

Buying an NFT off of someone is akin to buying a bridge off of George C. Parker.

10 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You can't "virtually" own the rights to something, then "theoretically" have permission to use it.

You either own the rights, or you don't. You either have permission to use it, or you don't.

Buying an NFT off of someone is akin to buying a bridge off of George C. Parker.

They're basically calling dibs, but on the blockchain.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

They are just buying a randomly generated link to something... NFT are worst then crypto. They don't even own said rights to whatever is on the otherside of the randomly generated link.

I mean sometimes they do own it but... 99.99% of the time it is nothing but a link. People that don't know anything about crypto or NFT are just hoping for a ROI but have no idea the hell they are doing. They are just letting themselves be scammed. Then they will complain but the government can't do Shit about it.  

23 hours ago, poochyena said:

Greg Solano, a 32-year-old writer and editor, and Wylie Aronow, a 35-year-old originally from Florida.

Interviewer: please tell me about yourselves. 

GS: well I am 32 years old and a professional writer and editor. 

WA: yeah and uh, I am from Florida. 

Interviewer: uhm okay yeah that's.... That's cool... I guess. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List