Clarification on GPU / CPU flow

I have an idea for a loop as roughly diagrammed in my attached image but I'm not sure it will work.

When I search things like, "how to route watercooling loop gpu" no video explains how this works...

Would the loop I diagrammed in my attached image work? If yes, why?

Would the outlet from the CPU be flowing into the outlet of the GPU and so it all flows correctly? That's my understanding.

Examples using what I believe to be this arrangement:

Don't worry about the routing. I know the PSU may be in the way of this design.

Loop-Design-Matt.png

9 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

I have an idea for a loop as roughly diagrammed in my attached image but I'm not sure it will work.

When I search things like, "how to route watercooling loop gpu" no video explains how this works...

Would the loop I diagrammed in my attached image work? If yes, why?

Would the outlet from the CPU be flowing into the outlet of the GPU and so it all flows correctly? That's my understanding.

Examples using what I believe to be this arrangement:

Don't worry about the routing. I know the PSU may be in the way of this design.

This is known as parallel flow, it works. Think about a garden sprinkler, the water flow splits on the inlet, and merges again in the outlet.

Yeah, that's fine. Just make sure that the inlet and outlet are on the same sides, and you should be good. Parallel (what that orientation is called) optimizes for higher water flow at the expense of more fittings. Sequential (one part to another) is cheaper since it requires less fittings, but lowers water flow. Performance difference is negligible between the two, and it's basically whether you think it looks better enough to justify the extra $20-30 in fittings. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, that's fine. Just make sure that the inlet and outlet are on the same sides, and you should be good. Parallel (what that orientation is called) optimizes for higher water flow at the expense of more fittings. Sequential (one part to another) is cheaper since it requires less fittings, but lowers water flow. Performance difference is negligible between the two, and it's basically whether you think it looks better enough to justify the extra $20-30 in fittings. 

Thank you!

hmmm... don't parallel flow only works when waterblocks restriction are similar? 

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

On 1/22/2022 at 5:58 AM, fonzz1e said:

hmmm... don't parallel flow only works when waterblocks restriction are similar? 

to get a equal flow, yes. But honestly even if the flow was split 1:9, there would still be enough flow with a D5/DDC pump.

23 minutes ago, For Science! said:

to get a equal flow, yes. But honestly even if the flow was split 1:9, there would still be enough flow with a D5/DDC pump.

That's what I was thinking.

It's been tested a bunch of times that flow order doesn't matter. So whether I ran these two right together or somewhere else in the loop, the TOTAL resistance in the loop is still the same.

5 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

That's what I was thinking.

It's been tested a bunch of times that flow order doesn't matter. So whether I ran these two right together or somewhere else in the loop, the TOTAL resistance in the loop is still the same.

this is more a question of flow rate within the block, but yes, flow rate also does not matter so much in the broader scheme of liquid cooling. So if you like the look of the parallel loop go for it 🙂 

11 hours ago, For Science! said:

this is more a question of flow rate within the block, but yes, flow rate also does not matter so much in the broader scheme of liquid cooling. So if you like the look of the parallel loop go for it 🙂 

well to a point. every 1lph flow rate you get about 1 degree drop. i be leave a d5 is around the 2. something lph.  ddc is lower.

is it worth spending the moeny to make it faster not really

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

well to a point. every 1lph flow rate you get about 1 degree drop. i be leave a d5 is around the 2. something lph.  ddc is lower.

is it worth spending the moeny to make it faster not really

sorry, your math definitely does not check out.

1 Gallon per minute (a not unusual flowrate) = 227 liters per hour

0.5 Gallon per minute (also not an unusual flowrate) = 113.5 liters per hour

you do not get a 113.5 degree drop or increase going from 0.5 gpm to 1 gpm.

Perhaps you meant gpm instead of lph, which in that case it may be about right.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:48 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Maybe I'm getting your point wrong but parallel flow will reduce flow rate, serial flow is better for higher flow. Not that it matters much. With parallel flow you have basically a flow divider, if both blocks and loop runs have exactly the same restriction, the flow is divided 50:50. So assuming an overall flowrate of 1gpm, both CPU and GPU block will have 0.5gpm.

Within reason flow doesn't matter so it's not that much relevant after all. There's basically nothing significantly to be gained above 0.5gpm or even 0.25gpm. 1-2K difference in your coolant temps won't significantly impact your system's performance. Whatever difference you'd see in benchmarks is probably more margin of error than real world performance impact.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

full

however some gpu and cpu blocks have a inlet and outlet and be going backwards can reduce the cooling buy like 3 to 5 degrees...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

43 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

full

however some gpu and cpu blocks have a inlet and outlet and be going backwards can reduce the cooling buy like 3 to 5 degrees...

Do you imply with that image that serial loops will run hotter? Because that's not really a thing. I mean, slightly higher coolant temps would decrease dT between coolant and block reducing heat transfer efficiency and therefore resulting in a little less heat energy being transferred. The difference would be marginal and barely measurable with sensors commonly available to watercooling enthusiasts. Basically: the amount of heat energy being induced into the system will not change in any significant way. By reducing the flow rate the volume of coolant over time will obviously decrease while the amount of heat energy being induced through the block into the coolant stays the same. Therefore the outlet temps will be just about the same.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

flow is split in a parallel flow, but it is less restrictive than two blocks in serial and thus will have a higher flow rate (in the entire loop) than in serial mode.

serial_vs_parallel_flow

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/does-loop-order-matter/

53 minutes ago, For Science! said:

flow is split in a parallel flow, but it is less restrictive than two blocks in serial and thus will have a higher flow rate (in the entire loop) than in serial mode.

serial_vs_parallel_flow

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/does-loop-order-matter/

Ah, total flow. Yes, that is plausible. 

5 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Ah, total flow. Yes, that is plausible. 

there are different ways of getting lower temps. flow speed is one of them. more surface area is another. push pull is another way.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

there are different ways of getting lower temps. flow speed is one of them. more surface area is another. push pull is another way.

Or...

FAN GO BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTBRRRRRRRRRRT!” The Sound First Heard in Combat 30 Years Ago - Veterans  Breakfast Club

3 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

Or...

FAN GO BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTBRRRRRRRRRRT!” The Sound First Heard in Combat 30 Years Ago - Veterans  Breakfast Club

oh ya that too faster fans... lower temps