Is it possible to modify GPU's?

F.E.A.R.
Go to solution Solved by 8tg,

Theoretically yes but doing it is incredibly difficult and expensive. You could do some obscene power mods, install completely overkill coolers and even replace video memory modules with larger ones. Though you would need to write your own vbios, be able to do BGA soldering, source larger memory modules, create your own mounting for larger coolers, know how the power delivery system works, and after all that you could maybe do something like create an 8gb R9 Fury X that performs maybe 20% better than a stock fury x with 4gb of HBM2.

Thats why people don’t really bother with this, it’s not an easy task and unless you have a decent pre existing knowledge of how a gpu works and the circuitry of what you’re work on, it’s not worth even looking into.

Considering the current chaotic situation with GPU's and I my self don't see it going back to how it was, I came here to search for answers. Basically can a GPU be modified to be better? Like changing a GTX 1050 TI it's memory with a newer faster one (I used to watch a video on YT some guys changing the memory of a 2080 TI from 14GB to 16 if I remember correctly). It doesn't have to be the memory basically, anything that can make it better. Because of the situation most of the masses are stuck on old GPU's like me.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Unless you have knowledge/experience on BGA soldering, the most you can do is an OC.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

(I used to watch a video on YT some guys changing the memory of a 2080 TI from 14GB to 16 if I remember correctly)

btw his performance dropped, its because the drivers

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Well vmodding used to be a big thing once but Im not sure if it still is.

For practical purposes, no.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Theoretically yes but doing it is incredibly difficult and expensive. You could do some obscene power mods, install completely overkill coolers and even replace video memory modules with larger ones. Though you would need to write your own vbios, be able to do BGA soldering, source larger memory modules, create your own mounting for larger coolers, know how the power delivery system works, and after all that you could maybe do something like create an 8gb R9 Fury X that performs maybe 20% better than a stock fury x with 4gb of HBM2.

Thats why people don’t really bother with this, it’s not an easy task and unless you have a decent pre existing knowledge of how a gpu works and the circuitry of what you’re work on, it’s not worth even looking into.

Ah yes let me turn on my spare ASML EUV machine and make my self a new die. 
/s

Ok but in all seriousness no you can’t.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I see, thank you for your answer. I thought it would be easy like bringing your GPU to some technicians, paying as much as needed to make it better (to modify it), but yeah it's not an easy task like you explained. Although I'm curious. Can Nvidia actually boost performance of their old cards like AMD with drivers? Or is it something Nvidia doesn't want to?

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

9 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Can Nvidia actually boost performance of their old cards like AMD with drivers? Or is it something Nvidia doesn't want to?

Are you actually asking if Nvidia can release drivers that improve the performance of AMD cards? If so, I think it would be fairly obvious why they don't do this. 

If you're asking why Nvidia cards don't seem to improve as much with drivers over their lifespan or "age as well" compared to AMD cards: it's debatable whether that's even true, and to the extent it is you can also make the case that because Nvidia devotes way more resources to driver optimization, their cards are pretty close to the limit of their capabilities at release, whereas it takes AMD a number of releases to "dial in" their cards. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

14 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I see, thank you for your answer. I thought it would be easy like bringing your GPU to some technicians, paying as much as needed to make it better (to modify it), but yeah it's not an easy task like you explained. Although I'm curious. Can Nvidia actually boost performance of their old cards like AMD with drivers? Or is it something Nvidia doesn't want to?

They do it all the time, it varies by game.  Have you not also seen the videos about newer DLSS versions with at least one game NVIDIA patched via the driver to upgrade it to a newer version that performs better?

AMD generally see more gains because their drivers tend to be more rough around the edges compared to NVIDIA.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

30 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Can Nvidia actually boost performance of their old cards like AMD with drivers? Or is it something Nvidia doesn't want to?

Both companies have done this over time both ways, for reasons mostly unknown but usually the speculation is planned obsolescence or that the specific hardware gets re-introduced multiple times. Such as the HD 7970 and GHZ edition and the R9 280x, etc. 

The other way around being what happened to Kepler, where Kepler cards just got gimped into the ground hard for basically no reason because maxwell really wasn’t any better on the mid range cards. And it happened again with Maxwell when Pascal launched. However they’re now doing the opposite where Turing and Pascal cards are getting decent driver improvements because Turing is getting recycled and their users can’t really buy a new card anyway, so they’re aiming for some kind of long term value thing to have under their name like AMD did with the 7970.

But damn, if you have a GTX 770 or something lying around, revert back a low of driver versions because those cards have lost something like 10-15% of their average performance over the years due to software alone. It’s to the point where benchmarks from the era versus now are flip flopped.

And then the other thing there on AMD I forgot about but was mentioned above. The way driver and hardware development works across both companies is different. AMD will take one die and turn it into 40 different gpus and then make one driver that kinda works with all 40 gpus, and over time they specialize features of the driver to be good for specific gpus.

Like the RX 470 and 480 to narrow it down super tight. One driver works for both cards despite all the variants. They update the driver later to better utilize the slight differences between the hardware, so you see an overall increase in performance after what originally worked like a Microsoft standard display driver suddenly knows how to utilize the hardware.

This is magnified when you have the same gpu used across multiple generations like the 7970 to 280x, where gpu driver optimizations take place for an even longer period of time and the card the 280x was built on top of suddenly gets modern driver support, making the 7970 even better.

And Nvidia is doing that now as they keep working on older Turing dies to make new cards, so older Turing cards are seeing more modern driver optimizations which are overall beneficial.

Oops did I drop that here?

Guess that card!!!

20220109_190443.jpg

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oops did I drop that here?

Guess that card!!!

20220109_190443.jpg

Fancy meeting you here, pretty sure that's a reference GTX 580

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Are you actually asking if Nvidia can release drivers that improve the performance of AMD cards? If so, I think it would be fairly obvious why they don't do this. 

If you're asking why Nvidia cards don't seem to improve as much with drivers over their lifespan or "age as well" compared to AMD cards: it's debatable whether that's even true, and to the extent it is you can also make the case that because Nvidia devotes way more resources to driver optimization, their cards are pretty close to the limit of their capabilities at release, whereas it takes AMD a number of releases to "dial in" their cards. 

Sorry I didn't express my self correctly. What I meant was, can Nvidia boost the performance of their GPU's with driver updates just like AMD has always done with their cards. 

43 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Both companies have done this over time both ways, for reasons mostly unknown but usually the speculation is planned obsolescence or that the specific hardware gets re-introduced multiple times. Such as the HD 7970 and GHZ edition and the R9 280x, etc. 

The other way around being what happened to Kepler, where Kepler

36 minutes ago, 8tg said:

And then the other thing there on AMD I forgot about but was mentioned above. The way driver and hardware development works across both companies is different. AMD will take one die and turn it into 40 different gpus and then make one driver that kinda works with all 40 gpus, and over time they specialize features of the driver to be good for specific gpus.

Like the RX 470 and 480 to narrow it down super tight. One driver works for both cards despite all the variants. They update the driver later to better utilize the slight differences between the hardware, so you see an overall increase in performance after what originally worked like a Microsoft standard display driver suddenly knows how to utilize the hardware.

This is magnified when you have the same gpu used across multiple generations like the 7970 to 280x, where gpu driver optimizations take place for an even longer period of time and the card the 280x was built on top of suddenly gets modern driver support, making the 7970 even better.

And Nvidia is doing that now as they keep working on older Turing dies to make new cards, so older Turing cards are seeing more modern driver optimizations which are overall beneficial.

cards just got gimped into the ground hard for basically no reason because maxwell really wasn’t any better on the mid range cards. And it happened again with Maxwell when Pascal launched. However they’re now doing the opposite where Turing and Pascal cards are getting decent driver improvements because Turing is getting recycled and their users can’t really buy a new card anyway, so they’re aiming for some kind of long term value thing to have under their name like AMD did with the 7970.

But damn, if you have a GTX 770 or something lying around, revert back a low of driver versions because those cards have lost something like 10-15% of their average performance over the years due to software alone. It’s to the point where benchmarks from the era versus now are flip flopped.

I have GTX 1050 TI. Wait what about pascal GPU's? Why aren't they updating them too since most PC users already have 10 series cards, and many couldn't upgrade to the 20 series because of the little performance boost and because they were overpriced. 

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

They do it all the time, it varies by game.  Have you not also seen the videos about newer DLSS versions with at least one game NVIDIA patched via the driver to upgrade it to a newer version that performs better?

AMD generally see more gains because their drivers tend to be more rough around the edges compared to NVIDIA.

I know about the new DLSS but compare to AMD the RX 400 and 500 series, the GTX 10 series haven't gotten a performance boost. Not an Nvidia fan boy, it's just that I have an Nvidia card and the GTX 1050 TI is a joke of a card (my PC was pre built, it was gifted to me), and a few years later they released GTX 1650 Super which outperforms the GTX 1050 TI and GTX 1650. Nvidia just rolling around cards trolling the customers. 

Yes, it possible, but it's... not worth, expensive and you know, risky of damaging the GPU perm.

Thing you can modify: Cooler, VRAM chips, chassis, BIOS chip (these are basic thing can be modify).

And about the risk, the highest risk is heat when do solder BGA. Since almost everything on the GPU are BGA and SMT, we need a heat gun. Not enough heats can't melt solder or do anything. Too much heats can damage things.

/s

Considering the shortage and everything, the most I've done with mine is just repaste it for better temps. Generally, a re-paste is recommended after so much time using your gpu anyways, because I've read that factories don't use the best thermal paste and sometimes their usage is not great either.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Fancy meeting you here, pretty sure that's a reference GTX 580

EVGA GTX 480, but close enough! 

Holds the Fastest Ice Storm, Ice Storm extreme and Ice Storm unlimited in the U.S, along with Sky Diver, 3DMark99 max, 3DMark11 Entry and Extreme, And fastest in the world 3DMark2000.

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

EVGA GTX 480, but close enough! 

Holds the Fastest Ice Storm, Ice Storm extreme and Ice Storm unlimited in the U.S, along with Sky Diver, 3DMark99 max, 3DMark11 Entry and Extreme, And fastest in the world 3DMark2000.

I assume you mean Held?

5 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I assume you mean Held?

No meaning currently holding. This very moment. 

And the pic was taken at the time it was posted also.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No meaning currently holding. This very moment. 

And the pic was taken at the time it was posted also.

Then I assume you are only talking about results compared to other 480 cards.

13 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Then I assume you are only talking about results compared to other 480 cards.

Of course. 

Why on earth compare a 480 to a 3080? 

But if you want to, the ICE Storm unlimited scored 241901 pts. 

Beat it with your current setup. 🙂 be my guest!