Is using (a lot of) bug spray near a running PC dangerous?

Chikensoops
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

As long as you clean your computer somewhat frequently I don't see any reason why it would be dangerous. If you're talking about the aerosol kind, computers don't get hot enough to ignite it. If you're stalking about the spritzer kind, that has basically no reason to damage it. The most I can see it doing is damaging your fan bearings, or if enough of it builds up, causing temp issues and or shorts. All of those can be mitigated by cleaning your computer every once in a while.

Just kinda worried since I used quite a lot of bug spray, and definitely did see some bug spray mist get sucked in. 

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

It's not ideal but I don't imagine it'd be too damaging. Just keep in mind anything that gets sucked in sticks to something.

Also, that much bug spray probably isn't good for you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

As long as you clean your computer somewhat frequently I don't see any reason why it would be dangerous. If you're talking about the aerosol kind, computers don't get hot enough to ignite it. If you're stalking about the spritzer kind, that has basically no reason to damage it. The most I can see it doing is damaging your fan bearings, or if enough of it builds up, causing temp issues and or shorts. All of those can be mitigated by cleaning your computer every once in a while.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not ideal but I don't imagine it'd be too damaging. Just keep in mind anything that gets sucked in sticks to something.

Also, that much bug spray probably isn't good for you.

Oh ok thank you, also I used the bug spray right before going out, so i was only in the room for a little while.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's the aerosol kind. I don't clean my PC too regularly, but I'll start doing that.

"A lot of" insect repellent isn't a good idea, it can be very dangerous. The stuff penetrates your skin and gets into your bloodstream. Your body can only sustain so much of it before it does damage to your organs.

Please follow the directions on the label, don't overdo it!

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

What about Deet? You spray that on skin to keep certain insects away.

53 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What about Deet? You spray that on skin to keep certain insects away.

you mean poison?  Cuz that's what DEET is.

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

you mean poison?  Cuz that's what DEET is.

It is a Bug Repellent. Smells bad to bug.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

It is a Bug Repellent. Smells bad to bug.

Symptoms of using bug spray vary, depending on what type of spray it is.

Symptoms of swallowing sprays that contain pyrethrins are:

• Breathing difficulty
  • Coughing
  • Loss of alertness (stupor), from the blood oxygen level being out of balance
  • Tremors (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Seizures (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Upset stomach, including cramps, stomach pain, and nausea
  • Vomiting

Below are symptoms of using sprays that contain DEET in different parts of the body.

EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT

• Temporary burning and redness, if DEET is sprayed into these parts of the body. Washing the area will usually make the symptoms go away. Burns to the eye may require medicine.

HEART AND BLOOD (IF A LARGE AMOUNT OF DEET IS SWALLOWED)

• Low blood pressure
  • Very slow heartbeat

NERVOUS SYSTEM

• Clumsiness when walking.
  • Coma (lack of responsiveness).
  • Disorientation.
  • Insomnia and mood changes. These symptoms may occur with long-term use of large amounts of DEET (over 50% concentration).
  • Death.
  • Seizures.

DEET is especially dangerous for small children. Seizures may occur in small children who regularly have DEET on their skin for long periods of time. Care should be taken to use only products that have smaller amounts of DEET. These products should be used only for short periods of time. Products containing DEET probably should not be used on infants.

SKIN

• Hives or mild skin redness and irritation. These symptoms are usually mild and will go away when the product is washed off the skin.
  • More severe skin reactions that include blistering, burning, and permanent scars of the skin. These symptoms may occur when someone uses products that contain a large amount of DEET over a long period of time. Military personnel or game wardens may use these types of products.

STOMACH AND INTESTINES (If SOMEONE SWALLOWS A SMALL AMOUNT OF DEET)

• Moderate to severe stomach irritation
  • Nausea and vomiting

By far, the most serious complication of DEET poisonings is damage to the nervous system. Death is possible for people who develop nervous system damage from DEET.

any liquid can have their own issues and might need an alcohol cleaning at some point.

also if you have a big problem, try some electric bug tools or by I guess UV boxes with some smell liqiuids that can be used with them.

or getting more filters to reduce bugs, by where they might come from.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Symptoms of using bug spray vary, depending on what type of spray it is.

Symptoms of swallowing sprays that contain pyrethrins are:

• Breathing difficulty
  • Coughing
  • Loss of alertness (stupor), from the blood oxygen level being out of balance
  • Tremors (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Seizures (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Upset stomach, including cramps, stomach pain, and nausea
  • Vomiting

Below are symptoms of using sprays that contain DEET in different parts of the body.

EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT

• Temporary burning and redness, if DEET is sprayed into these parts of the body. Washing the area will usually make the symptoms go away. Burns to the eye may require medicine.

HEART AND BLOOD (IF A LARGE AMOUNT OF DEET IS SWALLOWED)

• Low blood pressure
  • Very slow heartbeat

NERVOUS SYSTEM

• Clumsiness when walking.
  • Coma (lack of responsiveness).
  • Disorientation.
  • Insomnia and mood changes. These symptoms may occur with long-term use of large amounts of DEET (over 50% concentration).
  • Death.
  • Seizures.

DEET is especially dangerous for small children. Seizures may occur in small children who regularly have DEET on their skin for long periods of time. Care should be taken to use only products that have smaller amounts of DEET. These products should be used only for short periods of time. Products containing DEET probably should not be used on infants.

SKIN

• Hives or mild skin redness and irritation. These symptoms are usually mild and will go away when the product is washed off the skin.
  • More severe skin reactions that include blistering, burning, and permanent scars of the skin. These symptoms may occur when someone uses products that contain a large amount of DEET over a long period of time. Military personnel or game wardens may use these types of products.

STOMACH AND INTESTINES (If SOMEONE SWALLOWS A SMALL AMOUNT OF DEET)

• Moderate to severe stomach irritation
  • Nausea and vomiting

By far, the most serious complication of DEET poisonings is damage to the nervous system. Death is possible for people who develop nervous system damage from DEET.

Misuse of any product is bad.

If you need to use bug spray, I would suggest using it when the PC is off. Just put it to sleep real quick and then use it and let it settle a bit first. That way it won't be taken in by the fans.

In the summertime, I'm a professional bug spray user. 

Don't spray it in your house near anything you don't want to destroy.  Most products these days are 30% deet 70% whatever else.  They can be corrosive and staining, not to mention conductive and aerosols are highly flammable.

When applying bug spray, like sunblock, spray a little on yourself and use your hands to rub it around.  Misting a cloud in your room that is visibly sucked into your computer is ridiculously excessive. 

45 minutes ago, Heliian said:

When applying bug spray, like sunblock, spray a little on yourself and use your hands to rub it around.  Misting a cloud in your room that is visibly sucked into your computer is ridiculously excessive. 

yeah, spray products in general can be a liittle toxic, getting in the air or breathe it in.

Some spray products are not worth it, unless it's a specific use case.