Adequate cooling?

Burner1061

I'm upgrading to an AMD 5800K, it will arrive from Newegg eventually. But I was wondering if my current cooling is good enough. I have the stock heatsink (This), but the fan has been replaced with a krypton KR01 fan onto the stock heatsink.

The CPU is 100W and the fan and heatsink are rated for 95W. Can I get away with this? I read that wattage isn't a good indicator of heat. Will my setup properly cool my CPU, maybe eventually with overclocking?

Thank you.

Mobo: MSI 2AE0 1.0 (FM2)
CPU: AMD A8 5500 (3.2/3.7GHz)
GPU: Asus GeForce GT 1030 (2GB)
PSU: HP 667893-002 (300w)
RAM: x2 Samsung M378B1G73BH0-CK0 (8GB DDR3)

Drive 1: Kingston A400 SA400S37240G (240 GB)
Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 (1TB)

Monitor: Toshiba 23L1350U (23", 1920x1080, 60HZ)

59 minutes ago, Burner1061 said:

I'm upgrading to an AMD 5800K, it will arrive from Newegg eventually. But I was wondering if my current cooling is good enough. I have the stock heatsink (This), but the fan has been replaced with a krypton KR01 fan onto the stock heatsink.

The CPU is 100W and the fan and heatsink are rated for 95W. Can I get away with this? I read that wattage isn't a good indicator of heat. Will my setup properly cool my CPU, maybe eventually with overclocking?

Thank you.

That is not a standard stock cooler.  It’s even lower end.  I would say almost certainly not, at least very well anyway.  I suspect it will work, at least sort of.  If it does it will be loud and temps will be high. There may be some throttling. I do not know how much.  It will likely run the chip.  I do not think it will do it particularly quietly or well though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Nothing stopping you from just straight up trying to cool it with what you have right now, and see if it's adequate.
Modern CPU will just throttle down if it gets too hot.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Any sustained load will throttle heavily. Even gaming. If you can afford a 5800X, you can afford a $20-$50 cooler to cool it.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, Demonic Donut said:

Any sustained load will throttle heavily. Even gaming. If you can afford a 5800X, you can afford a $20-$50 cooler to cool it.

It's a 5800k, not 5800x. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's a 5800k, not 5800x. 

Oop... I can read, I promise. Serves me right for being snarky about it.

Regardless, if OP can afford it a better cooler is going to improve performance. Like @Bombastinator said, it'll run but not particularly at its best.

43 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Oop... I can read, I promise. Serves me right for being snarky about it.

Regardless, if OP can afford it a better cooler is going to improve performance. Like @Bombastinator said, it'll run but not particularly at its best.

Perhaps not even very well.  Hard to tell. It’s underpowered but throttling is a thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:38 PM, Bombastinator said:

That is not a standard stock cooler.  It’s even lower end.  I would say almost certainly not, at least very well anyway.  I suspect it will work, at least sort of.  If it does it will be loud and temps will be high. There may be some throttling. I do not know how much.  It will likely run the chip.  I do not think it will do it particularly quietly or well though. 

I ordered an Intel Khler TS15A. Do you think that is better and will be sufficient?

10 hours ago, Burner1061 said:
I ordered an Intel Khler TS15A. Do you think that is better and will be sufficient?

No idea.  Intel doesn’t have a fantastic rep for coolers.  So bad they’re considered more or less no-name.

12 hours ago, Burner1061 said:

That's not compatible with the 5800k. Different sockets. 

The 5800k should come with an adequate stock cooler unless you're ordering oem / tray. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's not compatible with the 5800k. Different sockets. 

The 5800k should come with an adequate stock cooler unless you're ordering oem / tray. 

My motherboard uses LGA 1150 mounts.

28 minutes ago, Burner1061 said:

The only thing that bugs me about an intel cooler is that it’s a k chip.  5th gen was the beginning of the minimization of OC, but it was still fairly healthy.  The conventional wisdom with intel coolers is they’re fine for stock stuff but if you OC one generally needs more cooler. I don’t remember how well 5th gen OCs but my suspicion is it’s likely going to want to OC, as it can do low end gaming but will want to OC to do it.  some sort of tower cooler or something sounds needed.  I don’t know a whole lot about 5th gen though.  Just that it had better TIM than 4th gen because intel got made fun of quite heavily over the crap TIM they put in 4th gen.

On 1/7/2022 at 5:41 PM, Burner1061 said:

Ah, didn't notice. I'm not sure if the TS15A perform since it's not designed for AMD and wouldn't cover the entire cpu. 

On 1/7/2022 at 6:15 PM, Bombastinator said:

The only thing that bugs me about an intel cooler is that it’s a k chip.  5th gen was the beginning of the minimization of OC, but it was still fairly healthy.  The conventional wisdom with intel coolers is they’re fine for stock stuff but if you OC one generally needs more cooler. I don’t remember how well 5th gen OCs but my suspicion is it’s likely going to want to OC, as it can do low end gaming but will want to OC to do it.  some sort of tower cooler or something sounds needed.  I don’t know a whole lot about 5th gen though.  Just that it had better TIM than 4th gen because intel got made fun of quite heavily over the crap TIM they put in 4th gen.

The 5800k is an AMD cpu.

5th gen Intel were mostly for mobile / prebuilt platforms and didn't feature unlocked multipliers for oc'ing. 

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, didn't notice. I'm not sure if the TS15A perform since it's not designed for AMD and wouldn't cover the entire cpu. 

The 5800k is an AMD cpu.

5th gen Intel were mostly for mobile / prebuilt platforms and didn't feature unlocked multipliers for oc'ing. 

Not an intel k then? I’ve heard of 5800x but not 5800k. My knowledge is not extensive though.