Dual 3090s. Should I get Fractal Torrent or go full tower for thermals?

GreenArrangements

Hi LTT guys. I heard the top GPU is going to choke on this setup but I also heard Torrent is the best airflow case there. No plans on watercooling. Or should I be better served with going Full Tower because those are some toasty stuff (not sure if thermals will even improve)? Use case will be rendering and such.

the torrent is probably your best bet.

this also really depends on the thickness of your cards and the spacing on your motherboard though.

30 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

the torrent is probably your best bet.

this also really depends on the thickness of your cards and the spacing on your motherboard though.

I have zero knowledge on that area on motherboards, however I do know that both would be a full triple slot. That comment on the motherboard spacing is very interesting and something that I didn't think of. Would there be an optimal one on AMD for Torrent then? I'm not sure what I should look for in regards to spacing there in the specs. Haven't upgraded my CPU/Mobo for a while, still on LGA1150 for all these years... maybe someone has some ancient knowledge for a dual setup for that too though haha, could buy a used mobo that one as a stepping stone before doing a full upgrade to Ryzen 6000 in 2022.

39 minutes ago, Mr-G-Man said:

You could go an open custom case. The white crowcase is also pretty good.

I'm going for the traditional case for this one at the moment, not that much good at building computers myself. I might feel adventurous in the far future though, haha.

1 hour ago, Mr-G-Man said:

the csfg crow case is actually easier to build in. temps will also be excellent

This thing? https://www.csfg.io/the-crow

Bjorn_White_Crow.jpg

1. OP specifically stated 3090. This case only has one Vertical GPU slot. 
  2. This case heavily behooves watercooled builds, which OP definitely wants to stick to air cooled only. 
  3. I'm not sure how this case is easier to build in rather than a more familiar and traditional layout, especially for less experience builders. Having more space inside a case doesn't always translate to easier to build in. 

I'd usually point out cost as well but considering the Author is getting dual 3090's or AMD equivalent, price doesn't seem to be as much of a factor. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, GreenArrangements said:

I have zero knowledge on that area on motherboards, however I do know that both would be a full triple slot. That comment on the motherboard spacing is very interesting and something that I didn't think of. Would there be an optimal one on AMD for Torrent then? I'm not sure what I should look for in regards to spacing there in the specs. Haven't upgraded my CPU/Mobo for a while, still on LGA1150 for all these years... maybe someone has some ancient knowledge for a dual setup for that too though haha, could buy a used mobo that one as a stepping stone before doing a full upgrade to Ryzen 6000 in 2022.

I'm going for the traditional case for this one at the moment, not that much good at building computers myself. I might feel adventurous in the far future though, haha.

so the gou takes up so many slots and the spacing between the pcie slots on the mb. the bigger the gap the better the cooling. crap space is like 1/8...witch you probly will kill your gpu. but ya the gpu will be at lest 10+ degrees hotter on the top.

cases with a side intake would be nice but do to temperd glass on most case there hard to find.

wc then would be ideal

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 hours ago, GreenArrangements said:

That comment on the motherboard spacing is very interesting and something that I didn't think of. Would there be an optimal one on AMD 

The standard for dual gpu is 4-slot (2-slot spacing) .

Most motherboards that support dual gpu will have slots spaced as such for pcie lanes at x16 speed. 

If the motherboard supports more x16 speed with 6-slot (4-slot spacing), that may be better.

XJneg.png

9979-evga-pro-sli-hb-bridge.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

This thing? https://www.csfg.io/the-crow

Bjorn_White_Crow.jpg

1. OP specifically stated 3090. This case only has one Vertical GPU slot. 
  2. This case heavily behooves watercooled builds, which OP definitely wants to stick to air cooled only. 
  3. I'm not sure how this case is easier to build in rather than a more familiar and traditional layout, especially for less experience builders. Having more space inside a case doesn't always translate to easier to build in. 

I'd usually point out cost as well but considering the Author is getting dual 3090's or AMD equivalent, price doesn't seem to be as much of a factor. 

Thanks for the heads up. Built two cases on my lifetime and this would be the third after some years. I don't feel like I'm at the stage to tinker much yet, maybe in a decade or half on my next rig I can rethink options. And yes, I prefer air cooling, which is why the Fractal case grabbed my attention one morning when I was just browsing and thought, yeah, maybe it's the time to upgrade my case now. I'd really like to make it work with this one (GN Steve and several others liked it and seeing the charts from that video, that's pretty good) since it looks to be the best one out there now on all the normal setups with one gpu I've seen, very great thermals, but if something could be better air cooled with duals then I could reconsider. I rarely upgrade my case, so I try to think carefully before going through because this is going to be my it.

PC expenditure can be a bit different. I only try to upgrade when needed. Going for a very big PSU wattage when I don't even need it is one example out of the many. Same for the motherboard, features I won't use = no. Rendering time though, 3090 saves a metric ton of time it isn't even funny, dual 3090s is a complete no brainer, pretty sure it's going to be disgusting. I had a funny idea (just a thought, not doing it) of quad 3090s but my electrical circuit seems to be allergic to explosions so I spared her the trouble. 

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

so the gou takes up so many slots and the spacing between the pcie slots on the mb. the bigger the gap the better the cooling. crap space is like 1/8...witch you probly will kill your gpu. but ya the gpu will be at lest 10+ degrees hotter on the top.

I figured it was inevitable. If it's manageable though it should be fine I guess.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The standard for dual gpu is 4-slot (2-slot spacing) .

Most motherboards that support dual gpu will have slots spaced as such for pcie lanes at x16 speed. 

If the motherboard supports more x16 speed with 6-slot (4-slot spacing), that may be better.

XJneg.png

9979-evga-pro-sli-hb-bridge.jpg

Thanks for the new knowledge, now I'm reading about motherboards and spacings, literally the first time I heard about this and opened my mind a ton, I didn't even know how to search for this. From what I get here 2 slot spacing is literally too close to each other. I did see some small factor builds with dual 3090s but I'm sure it's different per case. For the Torrent, it's going to be my first time having fans down the case, and I'm worried about the 25mm fans down there. Unfortunately without the actual product here, I can't gauge it myself. Would there be a good AMD motherboard that can do 4 slot spacing inside the Torrent without the bottom GPU hitting those fans? Also in the future, what terms should I put in Google when searching for these kind of things if they're available in the motherboard spec for any kind of motherboard?

12 minutes ago, GreenArrangements said:

Thanks for the new knowledge, now I'm reading about motherboards and spacings, literally the first time I heard about this and opened my mind a ton, I didn't even know how to search for this. From what I get here 2 slot spacing is literally too close to each other. I did see some small factor builds with dual 3090s but I'm sure it's different per case. For the Torrent, it's going to be my first time having fans down the case, and I'm worried about the 25mm fans down there. Unfortunately without the actual product here, I can't gauge it myself. Would there be a good AMD motherboard that can do 4 slot spacing inside the Torrent without the bottom GPU hitting those fans? Also in the future, what terms should I put in Google when searching for these kind of things if they're available in the motherboard spec for any kind of motherboard?

Using the top most pcie slot and the one 3 spaces down is fine for 2x 2-3 slot graphics cards.

For example: 

0e1da3694da22b455408cb50394597cf.png

Filtering for motherboards that support sli should show results that have good spacing options. Those that support 4-way sli will have the best spacing options and will most likely be able to run the pcie lanes at full x16 speed when using such wide slot spacing. You'll have to check the motherboard manual to see what speeds the slots run at when using certain slots. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi everyone, so after a while I did some self research and was looking at this video here before and had the great idea to actually research the case used on the dual 3090 config.

The casing there is a Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition. Upon looking at the specs that the case dimensions should be compared to torrent

WxHxD:
Fractal: 242mm x 530mm x 544mm
Lian Li: 274mm x 449mm x 446mm

I'm not sure what are the fans below the video, but it's almost hugging the graphics card. That can't be good for thermals right which is why the case has the side open? So if we consider the added height of the Torrent, would the graphics card be able to breath down there compared to the video?  I'm not really sure if case height coincides with the space inside the case though.

The motherboard too is a Godlike Z390 and has for slots for graphics cards, is still an example of a 4 slot spacing motherboard? I've looked on other motherboards that might have "four slot spacing" and found out that the AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 as a cheap option and MSI MEG X570 Godlike as an expensive option, are these spaced the same? And it might be old information, but I couldn't find a good 1150 motherboard that supports this spacing, if someone can throw me an example I might be able to get something cheap just to brave until the new Ryzen comes on late 2022 or 2023.

Another question, are motherboard "spaces" (the spaces between each PCIE slot) standardized so all motherboards have the same spacing between in each other - for example are 1, 2, 3, or 4 graphic card configurations spaced all the same? Then that makes my searching way easier then.

I'm very sorry again for shooting too much questions. After this, I don't think I have a lot to ask as this should make up my mind.

5 hours ago, GreenArrangements said:

Hi everyone, so after a while I did some self research and was looking at this video here before and had the great idea to actually research the case used on the dual 3090 config.

The casing there is a Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition. Upon looking at the specs that the case dimensions should be compared to torrent

WxHxD:
Fractal: 242mm x 530mm x 544mm
Lian Li: 274mm x 449mm x 446mm

I'm not sure what are the fans below the video, but it's almost hugging the graphics card. That can't be good for thermals right which is why the case has the side open? So if we consider the added height of the Torrent, would the graphics card be able to breath down there compared to the video?  I'm not really sure if case height coincides with the space inside the case though.

The motherboard too is a Godlike Z390 and has for slots for graphics cards, is still an example of a 4 slot spacing motherboard? I've looked on other motherboards that might have "four slot spacing" and found out that the AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 as a cheap option and MSI MEG X570 Godlike as an expensive option, are these spaced the same? And it might be old information, but I couldn't find a good 1150 motherboard that supports this spacing, if someone can throw me an example I might be able to get something cheap just to brave until the new Ryzen comes on late 2022 or 2023.

Another question, are motherboard "spaces" (the spaces between each PCIE slot) standardized so all motherboards have the same spacing between in each other - for example are 1, 2, 3, or 4 graphic card configurations spaced all the same? Then that makes my searching way easier then.

I'm very sorry again for shooting too much questions. After this, I don't think I have a lot to ask as this should make up my mind.

the torrent should be better Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition. why bigger fans in front better then being on the side for tower coolers, open back. the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition. would be better with an aio for the cpu.

the 011 dose have a vertical gpu mount thow witch could be a option too.

and older case with side fan could be good for sli or case were you mods add a side fan.

wc the gpus would be the best if thats that case probly the 011 offers more options then the torrent thow you can still wc in it. (wont need to worry about  pci spacing)

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 12/17/2021 at 1:31 AM, GreenArrangements said:

I'm not sure what are the fans below the video, but it's almost hugging the graphics card. That can't be good for thermals right?

That's having a direct line to fresh air for the graphics card which is good for thermals. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 11:48 AM, GreenArrangements said:

Hi LTT guys. I heard the top GPU is going to choke on this setup but I also heard Torrent is the best airflow case there. No plans on watercooling. Or should I be better served with going Full Tower because those are some toasty stuff (not sure if thermals will even improve)? Use case will be rendering and such.

Hi Green

Did You ever manage to initiate/complete the build?
I've now built a couple of Torrents with dual 3090's in them, and they seem to run very well. 
You will want to look into spacing AND availability of PCI-E 5.0 lanes, if you'r not looking into TX40/WR8 platforms.
What is your budget? I had the "usual" trouble of getting the parts i wanted, so had to make some compromises.

/DD