Science fair student to bring improvements in CPU liquid cooling

Enderman

Hey everyone!

I have recently participated in the Greater Vancouver Regional Science Fair (GVRSF) here in Vancouver BC.

This is not about my science project, but about another student's who I met at the fair.

His name is Duncan Stothers, and he has made an amazing innovation to CPU cooling.His project has based on using different channel designs in CPU water blocks. Using AutoCAD, heat simulations, CNC machining, and real world testing, he achieved a big improvement for CPU temperatures. By using a different microfin/water channel design inside the water block, he got CPU temperatures 3 to 4 degrees Celsius cooler than using the standard straight line fin array. He won a ton of awards and scholarships, and he will be attending the Intel International Science Fair this year. I'm really excited that by his connections to computer companies, we will soon see more liquid coolers use his water block design. Not only for regular CPU water blocks, but hopefully for AiO liquid coolers as well. This simple redesign of the water channels will give everyone better CPU temperatures at no extra cost to the company or consumer. More overclocking!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

waste of time

i want superconductivity

thats coming too

currently its not very feasible because the cables need to be at liquid nitrogen temperatures

scientists are working on making superconducting alloys at room temperature

obviously this will cost millions of dollars and you will not afford to make a computer out of it :(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

although this is a news worthy topic, moving to general discussion.

That's very interesting. So basically it is a heatsink inside a water cooling solution, from my understanding of you. And it makes sense, heatsink is all about surface area, so you can pass air, but you can also pass water or oil.

The problem with all this is cost. They are many great ideas, but if it cost too much to produce (either in working the metal which would require complex molding or tooling, OR have a high level of production issues), it might not viable.. yet. I mean, if it cost 70$ more to make, would you pay 70$ more for a few degrees more? And that's the problem in terms of marketability.

But congrats to the kid!

I like the ideas, even if, let's assume, it is not marketable, it pave ways to new ideas and concepts, whether in the product itself, or perhaps at the production level (making the cost to make it instead of say, 70$ more to teh current price down to 2$ more). A chain reaction of ideas, is what I am trying to say.

That's very interesting. So basically it is a heatsink inside a water cooling solution, from my understanding of you. And it makes sense, heatsink is all about surface area, so you can pass air, but you can also pass water or oil.

The problem with all this is cost. They are many great ideas, but if it cost too much to produce (either in working the metal which would require complex molding or tooling, OR have a high level of production issues), it might not viable.. yet. I mean, if it cost 70$ more to make, would you pay 70$ more for a few degrees more? And that's the problem in terms of marketability.

But congrats to the kid!

I like the ideas, even if, let's assume, it is not marketable, it pave ways to new ideas and concepts, whether in the product itself, or perhaps at the production level (making the cost to make it instead of say, 70$ more to teh current price down to 2$ more). A chain reaction of ideas, is what I am trying to say.

Pretty sure when it comes to water cooling, cost isn't an object. Such overpriced hardware.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

But congrats to the kid!

I personally wouldn't, but there are people who will spend 100+usd on CPU cooling only to run their CPU at stock speed or a low overclock that the price payed wasn't even justifiable from a value standpoint. (there are members on LTT guilty of overspending an Corsair H100i's when their set-up would have gotten the same performance out of a <50 dollar tower cooler.)

I personally wouldn't, but there are people who will spend 100+usd on CPU cooling only to run their CPU at stock speed or a low overclock that the price payed wasn't even justifiable from a value standpoint. (there are members on LTT guilty of overspending an Corsair H100i's when their set-up would have gotten the same performance out of a <50 dollar tower cooler.)

H100is look better. That is the only reason to buy them, like a lot of other corsair products.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Compatibility reasons and slightly improved performance/features, but you're right for the most part.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

H100is look better. That is the only reason to buy them, like a lot of other corsair products.

Im guilty of this as well :P

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

although this is a news worthy topic, moving to general discussion.

That's weird.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.