Speakers vs Studio Monitors

Uonze

I'm building a PC, and for the audio part I haven't quite figured out the difference between a Speaker System and Studio Monitor.

I will be using my PC for gamming and entertainment (listening to music and watching movies). For example in my case which one of this solutions is suited?

Logitech Z623 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121048

VS

KRK RP5G3 - http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP5G3-NA-Generation-Powered-Monitor/dp/B00FX7MMRO/ref=zg_bs_11974991_2

Are the Studio Monitors worth the extra money in my use case?

I usually don't prefer studio monitors because they are flat. I prefer more bass.

Well all Logitech is junk and you should never buy audio equipment from a peripheral company. I'd personally go with the Audioengine A2+ but they're around $200 without a sub.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I usually don't prefer studio monitors because they are flat. I prefer more bass.

Arent there studio monitors with a subwoofer mate..??

Studio monitors are designed to have a flat response. 

From Wikipedia:

Among audio engineers, the term monitor usually implies that the speaker is designed to produce relatively flat (linear) phase and frequency responses. In other words, it exhibits minimal emphasis or de-emphasis of particular frequencies, the loudspeaker gives an accurate reproduction of the tonal qualities of the source audio ("uncolored" or "transparent" are synonyms), and there will be no relative phase shift of particular frequencies—meaning no distortion in sound-stage perspective for stereo recordings.

Go with speakers over monitors if you're using them for entertainment purposes and not for music making/video editing, etc.

Monitors are tailored to a flat response, but most of them worth their salt have hardware EQs on the back. And yes, there is a KRK subwoofer.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

No studio monitors come in the box with a subwoofer, some companies make subs to go along with them but in order to use them you probably need an interface (which adds further to cost) instead of makeshifting connectors to your PC

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

No studio monitors come in the box with a subwoofer, some companies make subs to go along with them but in order to use them you probably need an interface (which adds further to cost) instead of makeshifting connectors to your PC

Okay got it... :)

Get the krks. I have some rp5g2 speakers and loving them.

Pilates

Well all Logitech is junk and you should never buy audio equipment from a peripheral company. 

Not true. I have a pair of X230's that are at least 5 years old and they have great audio quality. It really depends on what you buy.

Not true. I have a pair of X230's that are at least 5 years old and they have great audio quality. It really depends on what you buy.

I think you need something to compare them to before saying for sure that they are good. 

I think you need something to compare them to before saying for sure that they are good. 

You have a point, but I've been very satisfied with their quality. They're nowhere near trash is all I'm saying.

If you want more bass, you can get KRK 6 G2s. The point of monitors is to reproduce audio to the way it was produced. But as far as Krk Rokits go, they are relatively colored for a monitor and do have a little more and muddier bass.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

If you want more bass, you can get KRK 6 G2s. The point of monitors is to reproduce audio to the way it was produced. But as far as Krk Rokits go, they are relatively colored for a monitor and do have a little more and muddier bass.

Muddy is usually not a good thing.

Muddy is usually not a good thing.

Never said it was. Krk Rokits are cheap so it is forgivable.

BTW, I was not implying that the Rokit 6 is muddier than the Rokit 5s. I'm just saying Rokits themselves do not have the tightest bass, but they have a bit more bass.

EDIT:

To further clarify, I meant that Rokits have bit more bass and muddier bass compared to most other monitors. Compared to the Logitech, it's an upgrade in every way. If you think you've heard muddy, wait until you hear a Logitech sub with the satellite speakers turned off. It's kind of funny, actually.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Your idea of studio speakers is a little bit on the lower side. I personally have Genelec 8020B monitors, they cost 500 dollars each and the subwoofer is over 800 dollars. I like these a lot but keeping in mind that you were looking for the whole system for a couple hundred dollars, these might be out of range.

I would stay far away from Logitech. There's a reason why speakers cost a lot. Seems like Logitech hasn't figured that out. The sound is very crappy on those.

Expensive doesn´t mean better, even as cheap doesn´t mean worse. Logitech speakers aren´t what they were but they are still good. The Z2200 was a excellent quality speaker and so is it´s succesor the Z623. They indeed did cut cost but not on important points. Like class AB to class D amp. Toroid to switching PSU. Controls intergrated in sattalites instead of an external pod. I´d say for the price you can´t get any better.

And monitors aren´t suited for the regular customer. People want a ´smile curve EQ´, ie bass and highs. Flat response does sound really flat and not enjoyable to listen to.

And monitors aren´t suited for the regular customer. People want a ´smile curve EQ´, ie bass and highs. Flat response does sound really flat and not enjoyable to listen to.

Well, just speak for yourself. I like a sound that doesn't have boosted bass or anything. I want to hear it as it was recorded.

I'm not saying anyone will, I say the average consumer will. There are a lot of people who like the 'beats by dre' sound signature.

Come on people, call me a snob if you want but please don't say anything if your not willing to at least research your advice.

1. All speakers are designed to be flat.  There is no difference between studio monitors and floor standers for a home theatre in this regard, that is why they both cost about the same. I.E shit speakers are cheap and good ones are expensive. PC speakers (yes corsiar and logitech are pc speakers) are shit because they don't reproduce all the frequencies.  They may sound reasonable for movie and game effects but they seriously lack in all other departments.  

2. Never recommend a product based on a fallacy, always recommend the best product for the budget in question.  In this particular case yes the KRK will sound better, whether they are worth it will depend on how tone def the listener is.  To say they will sound worse because they are design to be flat is forgetting that you can easily remove the frequencies you don't like with an eq, but if you Buy the pc speakers no amount of eq will give back the frequencies they can't produce.

I have heard both, and to be honest I wouldn't touch the Logitech with a 40 foot barge pole. but having said that go and listen for yourself if possible,  Buying speakers on someone else's advice only is not smart, however sometimes its all we have.  so good luck.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Come on people, call me a snob if you want but please don't say anything if your not willing to at least research your advice.

1. All speakers are designed to be flat.  There is no difference between studio monitors and floor standers for a home theatre in this regard, that is why they both cost about the same. I.E shit speakers are cheap and good ones are expensive. PC speakers (yes corsiar and logitech are pc speakers) are shit because they don't reproduce all the frequencies.  They may sound reasonable for movie and game effects but they seriously lack in all other departments.  

2. Never recommend a product based on a fallacy, always recommend the best product for the budget in question.  In this particular case yes the KRK will sound better, whether they are worth it will depend on how tone def the listener is.  To say they will sound worse because they are design to be flat is forgetting that you can easily remove the frequencies you don't like with an eq, but if you Buy the pc speakers no amount of eq will give back the frequencies they can't produce.

I have heard both, and to be honest I wouldn't touch the Logitech with a 40 foot barge pole. but having said that go and listen for yourself if possible,  Buying speakers on someone else's advice only is not smart, however sometimes its all we have.  so good luck.

Pretty much this. However if you're looking for something that doesn't have a 6dB boost on everything sub 190hz then the KRK's aren't what you're looking for. What is your budget? I'd consider the Audioengine 5+'s which sound perfectly fine without a sub. 

Studio monitors normally are active, accept IEC leads and use a combination of RCA, XLR and 1/4" TRS connectors vs the standard RCA you'll find on most PC and bookshelf speakers. 

These look like they'll be pretty fantastic.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/swan-d1080-mk-iv-speakers

I have these, they're an incredibly good value. They're easily the best in their price range, and poo all over the Audioengine A1's for only a little bit more.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers