Watch filmmakers render realistic CG on the fly using $14k of graphics cards

qwertywarrior

i wonder does quadro increase the speed of rendering ray tracing ? if so i hope they unlock that ability for geforce cards when it becomes mainstream in gaming

anyways the title is a bit false its not really "on the fly" you see a really bad image but at least  but its much faster than before

A new short film teaser has taken digital character rendering to a new level, making real time motion capture a lot easier for animators. While working on "Construct" filmmakers captured the movements of real actors in a studio, similar to how James Cameron did for Avatar. Instead of seeing the performer, however, the director saw a ray-traced version of the animated character on his screen. Though heavily pixelated, freezing the scene instantly gave animators a clear idea of the final result, something that can normally take hours in post-production. The system used custom software from ray-tracing outfit V-Ray powered by three top-of-the-line NVIDIA K6000 GPUs -- not exactly a home setup. Still, it's not hard to see how such tech could eventually power ultra-realistic gaming, though at $4,500 a pop or so for the graphics cards, we're not there yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnaz8q6FLCk

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's still not perfect but it is real time. It's a bit like watching the ray tracing demos where the light takes a while to get to the virtual eyes. I would imagine though with increases in GPU tech this will get polished over time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It's still not perfect but it is real time. It's a bit like watching the ray tracing demos where the light takes a while to get to the virtual eyes. I would imagine though with increases in GPU tech this will get polished over time.

look at hard it now with current GPUs

i would say maybe 8 more generation for real time ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Goddamn, that's insane good.

Shit, the house looked real.

Goddamn, that's insane good.

Shit, the house looked real.

look at the making of

they already could do that quality before but the idea is looking at it while doing it even though quality looks bad

look at the making of

they already could do that quality before but the idea is looking at it while doing it even though quality looks bad

If they could already do that why do animated movies look so much worse?

If they could already do that why do animated movies look so much worse?

animated you mean like toy story 3 etc ?

those look like that because that was the desired "look" they arnt aiming for a realistic look

i think only the Japanese are after that look . Last CG movie ive seen that tried to be releastic as possible was Captain harlock and

casshern but with real actors

Damn,that's some serious hardware.My 560 is very slow compared to that D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Almost there, aren't we?

Pretty crazy seeing where we stood with tech 10 years ago.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Am i the only one who found this kinda heart warming?

you mean the part they were hiding the human's body under the floor boards

yeah very heart warming :P

wow this is just amazing

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

look at hard it now with current GPUs

i would say maybe 8 more generation for real time ?

It is real time know it's just slow real time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

animated you mean like toy story 3 etc ?

those look like that because that was the desired "look" they arnt aiming for a realistic look

i think only the Japanese are after that look . Last CG movie ive seen that tried to be releastic as possible was Captain harlock and

casshern but with real actors

Like any movie with CGI. Gravity, for example

it's crazy that this is becoming a reality in my lifetime....this is stuff we dreamed about and never thought would be possible

the fact that it's NEAR 100% full render real time in 2014....and then look back at where we were at in 1990...

and I love that they made it feel like a massive appreciation in tech achievement rather than some silly over-done ad campaign

i would think the tesla's are doing the ray tracing calculations then its shifted over to the quadro to render

edit: going by the video it had 2 k40's (tesla) and a quadro k6000

so yeah its more tesla's

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I want to play this now. release date?

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Every CUDA GPU can do it no need for so much horsepower.(They need that power to draw millions of polys not because of ray tracing)
I use real time ray tracing all the time on my GTX670.
I don't think we will ever be able to use ray-tracing ingame.(Maybe with a graphene CPU/GPU)

If developers have 10x more power they will just put 10x more detail in and we will be in the same boat again.

What's impressive is that they can run those high poly models in realtime.
So we could have such high poly games in in 2-4 Years with Pascal or the gen after that.

RTX2070OC