They complained about Windows "Check for updates" button taking forever on WAN show... but linux isn't that fast either?

kenblu24

On the last wan show at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9PcNrhiMUc&t=2802, Linus & Luke complain about how long it takes for Windows to do an update query. I've had some particularly long wait times after hitting the button, but Linus was going absolutely bonkers at the fact that it's not *milliseconds* fast. They even mentioned that a viewer tried the button and it took eleven (11) seconds for Windows to check for updates. 

Well, it's not instant on Linux either? I tried using a WSL Ubuntu instance to run sudo apt update which is basically the Debian/Ubuntu equivalent of Check for Updates, and it also took eleven seconds? In the image below, it took pretty much exactly eleven seconds from when hit the Enter key on the sudo apt update command to when it tells me how many packages can be updated. I've also had this command take longer sometimes, particularly if I'm on a bad internet connection. Hell, on Elementary OS, I've had the get updates button take waaaay longer.

Funnily enough, halfway through writing this on my Windows 10 rig (which I ran the sudo apt update command from), my computer basically locked up.

WindowsTerminal_2021-11-13_14-29-45.png

On my laptop, with a Core i5 3320M and DRAM-less SATA SSD, it generally only takes a few seconds to run sudo apt-get update on Ubuntu 20.04. My desktop, with a Ryzen 9 5900X and NVMe SSD generally takes about 10-15 seconds to check for updates on Windows.

Based on the hardware alone, you'd think Windows would win easily, but it doesn't. It really should be almost instantaneous on that level of hardware.

I guess on Linux it doesn't feel like it takes as long because you're shown what's actually happening and you know it's actually doing something while on Windows it feels like staring at a blank wall. it took 20 sec on my ras pi 4

To me anything less than 30 seconds is fine.

I've had some Windows VMs take 5+ minutes to check for updates using a freaking WSUS server that's local on the network!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I think I'm the only one who hasn't had some really awful experience with Windows "Check for Updates" lol. I just timed it on my desktop (granted, a 5900X based machine) and it took ~4 seconds to check for updates. On my laptop (i5 1135G7) running Fedora 35, it took 3 seconds to check for updates. Granted I've got a ton of problems with Windows update, but the "check for updates" button isn't one of them. 

They didn't say it was slower than linux, just that it was slow ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing to keep in mind is that on Linux, the updater updates (almost) all your applications.  

On Windows, it basically only updates Windows, some drivers, and a couple other MS Related Applications. (Office)

1 and 2 Seconds on my Server and Desktop Respectively. 

Server:

image.thumb.png.71a6ffeee1ebc2b58d004ae639416c6b.png

Desktop:

image.thumb.png.2ed52419139e8a3a054c44c4b062d736.png

Less than 5 seconds when I force-refresh the package list:

image.thumb.png.6f4f49a45dda3bcb4de6939a95467e6e.png

Less than 2 when I don't:

image.thumb.png.f8bc1bfa5485d48be5d4bededd6af8c7.png

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Considering Windows Update today does more than just Windows system updates, I'm not surprised it's not instantaneous. Heck you can even get BIOS updates from your OEM from Windows Update these days in addition to drivers for your various components/ peripherals. And to be fair, updates is almost a click and move on type of thing isn't it? Who actually sits there after clicking "Check for Updates" to see what updates show up...? They'll automatically download and install once it finds them. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

16 minutes ago, James Evens said:

TL;DR Never use the check for update button on Windows

Correct. This is best practice

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Caroline said:

trying to update linux is like

Gclf.gif

Depends on the distro but it's certainly not as user-friendly as Windows about it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I get literal allergic reaction when I have to look at commandline in year 2021. And I literally don't care how efficient it is or whatever. Even for things where it may be faster or whatever, I'll make a BAT for all the crap and name it something humanly understandable and I'll just run that with a click.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I get literal allergic reaction when I have to look at commandline in year 2021.

No you don't.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 hours ago, kenblu24 said:

On the last wan show at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9PcNrhiMUc&t=2802, Linus & Luke complain about how long it takes for Windows to do an update query. I've had some particularly long wait times after hitting the button, but Linus was going absolutely bonkers at the fact that it's not *milliseconds* fast. They even mentioned that a viewer tried the button and it took eleven (11) seconds for Windows to check for updates. 

Well, it's not instant on Linux either? I tried using a WSL Ubuntu instance to run sudo apt update which is basically the Debian/Ubuntu equivalent of Check for Updates, and it also took eleven seconds? In the image below, it took pretty much exactly eleven seconds from when hit the Enter key on the sudo apt update command to when it tells me how many packages can be updated. I've also had this command take longer sometimes, particularly if I'm on a bad internet connection. Hell, on Elementary OS, I've had the get updates button take waaaay longer.

Funnily enough, halfway through writing this on my Windows 10 rig (which I ran the sudo apt update command from), my computer basically locked up.

I can say this is true BUT and a very big but, its a thing with WSL, not with native linux desktop, i used wsl and wsl2 for many months before switching to native linux desktop, and now the update times are a lot lot better, on a fast network, i can confirm that it does take less than a second

TL'DR its a wsl issue not a linux issue, also, my specs are a ryzen 5 3450u with a real slow hard drive, its a HP15s btw

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Depends on the distro but it's certainly not as user-friendly as Windows about it.

Well, so you mean a terminal isnt user friendly

12 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

*clicks on update in the store*

Literally gnome handles it for you. You get a notification and you click update. Also linux update != windows update. Linux update is refreshing package lists, whereas windows is actually fetching just what OS update there is on the ms servers

22 hours ago, kenblu24 said:

Okay, so Apt update just refreshes the repos and mirrors.
Apt Upgrade on the other hand performs the actual update

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I get literal allergic reaction when I have to look at commandline in year 2021. And I literally don't care how efficient it is or whatever. Even for things where it may be faster or whatever, I'll make a BAT for all the crap and name it something humanly understandable and I'll just run that with a click.

There are GUI updates as well, just use the software store or GUI package amanger that usually ships with the distro. Tho some are far from good (Looking at you KDE Discover)

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

16 hours ago, Caroline said:

trying to update linux is like

Gclf.gif

13 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

On just about any version of Ubuntu you can click on 'software updater' from a menu and it all runs in GUI. Fetching update list is pretty quick (usually 10s or less on my i5 550M laptop), downloading and installing is heavily hardware and connection speed dependent.

I generally find Ubuntu updates to be faster to run than Windows updates when the packages are of roughly equal size, seems like the Windows update servers are a little slower likely throttling each connection to increase capacity where as it seems like there's less of that with Ubuntu but also much much smaller user base. The one thing I dislike is how often it seems like Windows updates fail to install after installing for a very long time and how obtuse the reason for the fail can be to determinate based on error codes and MS articles. I've only had maybe 2 or 3 Ubuntu or installed software updates fail in the almost 20 years I've been using it where as I've had to do whole reinstalls to get Windows 10 to run updates properly at least 3 times. That is my severe frustration with Windows updates. It seems exponentially worse on very slow hardware.

11 hours ago, AkIonSight said:

Well, so you mean a terminal isnt user friendly

Like he said, depends on the distro. Most that you'd use on the desktop have a button you click to update.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

On just about any version of Ubuntu you can click on 'software updater' from a menu and it all runs in GUI. Fetching update list is pretty quick (usually 10s or less on my i5 550M laptop), downloading and installing is heavily hardware and connection speed dependent.

I generally find Ubuntu updates to be faster to run than Windows updates when the packages are of roughly equal size, seems like the Windows update servers are a little slower likely throttling each connection to increase capacity where as it seems like there's less of that with Ubuntu but also much much smaller user base. The one thing I dislike is how often it seems like Windows updates fail to install after installing for a very long time and how obtuse the reason for the fail can be to determinate based on error codes and MS articles. I've only had maybe 2 or 3 Ubuntu or installed software updates fail in the almost 20 years I've been using it where as I've had to do whole reinstalls to get Windows 10 to run updates properly at least 3 times. That is my severe frustration with Windows updates. It seems exponentially worse on very slow hardware.

> Much smaller user base

no bruh not even close, especially if you include servers, the cool thing is that of mirrors, first, a mirror geographically closer to you will be faster, 2. because there are multiple mirrors available ensure that if one gets corrupted, goes down, there are 50 others still left, and yes you can choose between them

Microsoft definitely must have had something like this, they certainly have the horsepower, also the "download updates from nearby PCs" (darn bro thats a name i didnt remember in a long time)