The $10,000 PC Game Show! - PC or no PC Episode 1

CPotter

Yeah, welllll no, I think I'll skip this one :old-eyeroll:  Game shows are cringey at the best of times and rip-offs are usually worse. Besides, I'm more into documentaries anyway 😛

I'm sure the LMG team put in a lot of effort, but clearly I'm not the target audience 💩

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Love the credits: "Scalper's ass."! 😄

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

Paid actor or not, that woman got on my nerve real quick

This was disappointing. Why would you make a 40min show to just give her the top price anyway? and also the whole concept of case picking is stupid, why do yo need to chose all the loosing cases when it is given since the beginning which case she gets? That already made me upset and then the ending, dude come on. That was a big fat bruhhhhhh moment, it just made the already bad concept even worse as it made clear that the whole case picking thing was a straight waste of time because she gets the 10000 PC anyway and it had been planned since the beginning.

I'm sure LMG can do better than this. With something where you would actually need skill or strategy rather than just luck as this was the only thing required here.

But there were also positives to this show. If you watch it from a technical angle and ignore the actual content this was a very good and high quality, almost TV grade, show. Nice work on this one, keep it up.

But in summary, this show made me so upset, I had to make my first post on the forum.

This could use answering some questions and each time you get it wrong you lose a random case...

Whatever cases you got left, after questions are over, you get to keep.

Still luck involved for those that like it.

Scalper deals were the best part about this, and she just ignored even the good ones.

15 minutes ago, Arch User said:

Who was the scalper

James.

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

25 minutes ago, bigmug said:

James.

I thought it was colton or the apple guy

33 minutes ago, Arch User said:

I thought it was colton or the apple guy

Every LTT video has credits at the very end. It clearly says "Scalper   James Strieb". 🙂

3 hours ago, QuuxJn said:

This was disappointing. Why would you make a 40min show to just give her the top price anyway? and also the whole concept of case picking is stupid, why do yo need to chose all the loosing cases when it is given since the beginning which case she gets? That already made me upset and then the ending, dude come on. That was a big fat bruhhhhhh moment, it just made the already bad concept even worse as it made clear that the whole case picking thing was a straight waste of time because she gets the 10000 PC anyway and it had been planned since the beginning.

I'm sure LMG can do better than this. With something where you would actually need skill or strategy rather than just luck as this was the only thing required here.

But there were also positives to this show. If you watch it from a technical angle and ignore the actual content this was a very good and high quality, almost TV grade, show. Nice work on this one, keep it up.

But in summary, this show made me so upset, I had to make my first post on the forum.

People like you just suck all the fun out of the internet sometimes. 
It was an absolutely stellar video and just an excuse for them to do something fun. 

Be happy for the participants, rather than whining about it here. 

Also, the whole concept is modelled after Deal or No Deal, where the case picking mechanic is identical. I'd suggest you stay under your rock. 
"This show made me so upset" jesus christ dude, not a good look. 

It was obvious that Linus had prior knowledge of what was in the cases. When she chose to open the 10k case Linus very obviously tried to convince her to pick a different case. If you do this again then I think it would be much better for the host to not be aware of what is in each of the cases.

The helpers peeking inside the case themselves before revealing it to the camera was something that I found rather annoying and almost all of them did it.

The ending... Wow. That just completely ruins the entire show. What a way to insult your audience and waste 40 minutes of their time. Contestants should get whatever prize they win. It would be far more entertaining if someone actually got the bag of Doritos and mountain dew. What's the point of watching if you're just going to give everyone the top prize anyway? If that's all you want to do you could just make a 60 second #shart giving someone a 10k PC and probably get ten times as many views for significantly less investment and effort. It's not as if they lost and were going home empty handed, they actually won a prize.  What would have happened if they got a better prize like the MacBook or the 3070? What if they took an offer from the scalper? Would you still have given them the 10k PC? 

The concept is good and I would like to see LTT have another attempt at it, but I really cannot stress enough that if you're going to do this again then just let the show play out naturally. Don't rig it. Don't give them the top prize even though they win something else. Get rid of that stupid wheel spin at the end. If they get a crappy prize and you don't want them to go home empty handed after the show has finished filming just be like "hey I'm sorry you didn't get a better prize, here's an LTT merch pack worth $300 as a consolation prize. Thanks for being on the show". Don't ruin the entire show by giving them the Grand prize.

Think of it from the audience's perspective. "Holy shit they actually won a top prize!", "OMG LOL they got a bag of Doritos LMAO", "getting a $1500 laptop isn't the best thing they could have got but it's a pretty good prize I'd be happy with that", "they should have taken that scalper offer" are all much better reactions than "oh, it's all rigged and it doesn't matter? Why did I just waste 40 minutes watching this...?"

Some positive though. James did a good job as the scalper. The thumbnails from LTT's most popular videos on the cases was a nice touch and was fun looking at the cases when they were picked and thinking "ohhhh I remember that video!".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm very happy for her and glad she won what she was really missing - a PC for herself. Thumbs up to Intel and LMG for making this happen.

I think those complaining here forget to realize THIS ISN'T A REAL GAME SHOW!!! If the sponsors have already decided to give away a prize it's just their imagination to decide how they "do it". Clearly it's not for the money - that's already there as are all the lesser prizes. Likewise you don't see a real audience paying $5/seat either.

4 hours ago, QuuxJn said:

and also the whole concept of case picking is stupid, why do yo need to chose all the loosing cases when it is given since the beginning which case she gets?

The concept is based on deal or no deal. By opening a case you are eliminating that prize as a possibility of being inside the case the contestant chose. The cases would have money instead of prizes, each time you open a case the average amount of money in play changes. Increases if you remove a low value case and decreases if you remove the high value cases. The bank (scalper) makes an offer to stop you from playing. 

For example if there's $100,000 $20,000 $1000 and $500 left on the board the case the contestant chose at the start could have any of those values. The bank might offer $15,000. If the contestant takes the 15k offer that's what they get and they forgo the prize in the case which might have been $500 or $100k.

If the contestant plays on and they open another case the offer from the bank will change depending on the value of the case they eliminate. If they open the $100,000 case and there's only $20k, $1k, and $500 left in play then the offer from the bank will be much lower. The bank might offer $5000. The contestant has to choose between taking the guaranteed $5000 or risking it and hoping the $20,000 is in the case they chose.

If they instead opened the $500 case and the only options left that could be in their case was 100k, 20k, and $1k then the offer from the bank would be higher. The bank might offer $25,000.

Each time you choose a case you are eliminating that as a possibility in the hopes of eliminating low value prizes in order to improve the offer from the bank/scalper. 

If the offers from the bank/scalper are enticing enough most people will eventually give up their case and take the offer. Some people won tens of thousands from the show by taking the banks offer even though their chosen case only had $1 in it... Others accepted a low offer and ended up having $100,000 in their case.

If you haven't ever seen the show deal or no deal before I can understand why the concept might not have made sense seeing just one contestant who played through the entire game to the end keeping their case, especially when they muddled things by altering the outcome. 

There's probably some clips of Deal Or no Deal on YouTube you could watch to get an idea of how the show works and why it makes sense to open the rejected cases.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Authentic or not, it felt extremely contrived and overall not entertaining. 

Deal or No Deal was entertaining because the offers were calculated to be very compelling. In this remake, the Scalper's offers were all terrible except maybe the Mac Mini. Most of the offers were random low value items like headphones and such, others were esoteric like the power supply and Jackery charger. I'd recommend making the scalpers offers simple money for a PC upgrade, or otherwise items that the player would actually want assuming LTT have done their homework and know the contestant.

Edit: Also adding that Linus's stage performance felt very cheap and fake. Like a parent playing a game with a child, "Oh noooo you lost the $10,000 PC." I think this show would've been better with someone less deadpan and more expressive as host. Make Madison the host and Linus the scalper but don't hide his identity. The potential combativeness between them could be gold.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The helpers peeking inside the case themselves before revealing it to the camera was something that I found rather annoying and almost all of them did it.

correct me if im wrong, but thats what the real show does as well?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, adarw said:

correct me if im wrong, but thats what the real show does as well?

Not that I remember from any episodes of the Australian Deal or No Deal that I watched. They just open the case towards the camera. The prize is on both sides of the inside of the case so even as they open it towards the camera they can still read what is inside it on the side that is facing towards them.

I really liked the show 🙂

Good job LMG!

8 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

Paid actor or not, that woman got on my nerve real quick

That's not nice.

11 hours ago, emosun said:

Pretty soon 10k isnt going to be impressive and will just be the cost of a half decent computer

Inflation is a b*tch

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

12 hours ago, karanssh said:

Excellent production quality.

8 hours ago, yanozzz said:

It was an absolutely stellar video

You've both got to be kidding yourselves, right? 

I was hoping for a good show to watch, but within the first 4 minutes when the contestant selected the box with the MacBook and said that they were a Mac person, I just could not continue. Why would you give someone who is a Mac person and clearly wants the Macbook Pro more, a 10k USD PC? 

Just made no sense for me to watch it. Plus, not having heard about Deal or No Deal before this, the show just made no sense. 

Sorry LTT. I realize they may have done a huge amount of work for this, but just did not sit right with me.