Windows 11 SE - New Edition of Windows 11 that MS is working on, which targets low powered computers. Budget Surface Laptop on the way.

GoodBytes
37 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

please excuse me i am getting my laughs ready for when this inevitably fails just like it's predecessors.

We got a dead pool running on that?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Laptop looks like more ewaste....yay.

Just stop MS you've never made a successful alternative to any other desktop grade OS. He'll even some of those were abysmal 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

48 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes we do!
481543656_Deadpoolrunning.jpeg.afc10c276749dca9d2145ee6c7f4ff19.jpeg
Personally I can't say where this Win version is "Going" but if history is any indication well..... You know.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

i've put in $20 into the 'Windows edition's always fail' pool, you can add in more by going to GamblingIsAnAddictionDontPutMoneyIntoStupidShitLikeThis.com.us

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Still so odd to see so many editions for no good reasons. Could differentiate it for various devices with instal/update for features and such to include or not without edition fragmentation.

I'm curious to see Enterprise edition and how much it will differ.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

why wont 1366x768 just die already

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

why wont 1366x768 just die already

It's way too cheap to use

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

They need to just make a barebones version. A purely OS ..OS.

No added features, no added apps, no special effects, no telemetry gathering, no advertising etc. Just an oldschool style platform that other software can run from.

Why? because enthusiasts will just make a version themselves and put it up to pirate if they dont.

Will they ? ofc not, they have an effective monopoly on the OS market, they make an OS  chock full of crap, data gathering and advertising ..so they can make more money.. and they knwo damn well most people will suck it up and buy it anyway because those people know no better, have no principles to stand on, and/or have no other choice.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

They need to just make a barebones version. A purely OS ..OS.

The funny thing is, MS provides the tools to "roll your own" like that, but it's involved to set up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/system-builder-deployment?view=windows-10&preserve-view=true

https://itblog.ldlnet.net/index.php/2019/07/15/create-a-custom-windows-10-image-for-distribution-using-and-iso-image/

There is one more, where you and choose in such detail you can even rip out the GUI, but I can't find the link right now.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I think Microsoft is the only company that copies everyone around them.

Microsoft Store, rounded corners and centered task bar: Apple

Snap layouts concept: Linux

Low-cost Windows 11 SE machine: Google (ChromeOS ew)

Teams: Google (meet)

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

On 10/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Wish list for a really lightweight edition of WinX:

No telemetry. Period. Rip all that shit out.

No live tiles. No pre-installs apps. No ads.

No cloud offers or OneDrive. If I want it, I'll install it.

Nothing phones homes (services, etc) without expressly asking the user for permission.

Security updates only.

Yeah, I can dream I know...

First of all. Intel Celerons/Atoms are garbage. There is no compelling business case for the existence of Windows -anything "student edition", "cloud edition", "mobile edition", etc. Just admit your OS is bloated and not designed to run on garbage, and let Linux have the garbage tier market.

The reason they are making this at all, is because they want students to use Windows, not OS X, not Linux, so they will be captive customers to Microsoft products.  But this will just horribly backfire. It always does when students will absolutely hate using "garbage windows" and will instead buy iPad's and MacBook's for their personal use.

36 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Intel Celerons/Atoms are garbage.

Not quite, as many things in life it depends. But i do agree these devices need a lighter OS (be it a cut down version of windows or linux).

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Not quite, as many things in life it depends. But i do agree these devices need a lighter OS (be it a cut down version of windows or linux).

image.png.4c7cfaeb753d45d6bcfd9adcb3acab5b.png

image.png.c35ab01b5053bddc262c40756afae26e.png

This is a 3-year old part is basically performance parity with the Snapdragon 7c and with laptop chips released in 2012. What does it tell you when the Windows 11 requirements and Windows 10 requirements difference is 4GB vs 1GB ram, yet both are essentially unusable without 8GB, which is the maximum this Atom can have?  

Honestly, people make a stink about Windows being bloated, but they largely point to cosmetic things when the underlying bloat comes from how Windows 8+ actually do compositing, and there is no "classic" mode to switch to to lower the GPU requirements like you would on Windows XP, which is how Windows got onto netbooks in the first place.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:52 PM, EDK Tech said:

I think Microsoft is the only company that copies everyone around them.

Microsoft Store, rounded corners and centered task bar: Apple

Snap layouts concept: Linux

Low-cost Windows 11 SE machine: Google (ChromeOS ew)

Teams: Google (meet)

I don't agree. Microsoft certainly copies a ton of things, but they are not the only ones who does it. Apple, Google and pretty much all other companies copies one another. There is nothing wrong with doing that either. Copying and improving is how like 90% of all inventions we rely on today were made.

I also think Teams is more of a copy of Slack than of Google Meet.

Apple were not the first with a store or rounded corners either.

Anyway, I think this is too little too late, and also kind of pointless.

If Microsoft are able to make Windows 11 use less resources, more secure etc, then they should just implement those things in the standard Windows 11, not make an entirely new version of it.

I also think that ChromeOS has cemented itself pretty well in the school sector. Not only does the rumored offering from Microsoft kind of suck hardware wise, but it also sucks price wise. You can pick up a ChromeOS laptop with similar specs for less than half the price, even without rebates. 350 dollar ChromeBooks have i3 processors and full HD touch screens, not this Celeron and 768p garbage.

Why would a school pay twice as much for an unproven platform that doesn't seem to offer any benefits over their already existing platform?

Besides, the good thing about Chromebooks are how easy they are to manage, wipe and replace. Right now, Windows 11 is nowhere near that easy of use for the admins (not even with Intune). So Microsoft would not only have to launch this laptop and justify its very high price tag, they would also have to launch a management solution that is as good as what Google has built up over the course of like 7 years.

I can't really think of a single reason why a school would pick this over Chromebooks.

11 hours ago, Kisai said:

First of all. Intel Celerons/Atoms are garbage. There is no compelling business case for the existence of Windows -anything "student edition", "cloud edition", "mobile edition", etc. Just admit your OS is bloated and not designed to run on garbage, and let Linux have the garbage tier market.

The reason they are making this at all, is because they want students to use Windows, not OS X, not Linux, so they will be captive customers to Microsoft products.  But this will just horribly backfire. It always does when students will absolutely hate using "garbage windows" and will instead buy iPad's and MacBook's for their personal use.

I'm not certain your replay has anything to do with what I wrote...did you quote me by mistake? Nowhere did I mention Celeron/Atoms...

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

This is a 3-year old part is basically performance parity with the Snapdragon 7c and with laptop chips released in 2012. What does it tell you when the Windows 11 requirements and Windows 10 requirements difference is 4GB vs 1GB ram, yet both are essentially unusable without 8GB, which is the maximum this Atom can have?

For us enthusiasts  with a ton of stuff open yes. But for a average user who has one or two  tab open and the most demanding task is playing videos they are okay-ish. I think most of the slowness is caused by the emmc anyway.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm not certain your replay has anything to do with what I wrote...did you quote me by mistake? Nowhere did I mention Celeron/Atoms...

You said

Wish list for a really lightweight edition of WinX

What you're really asking for is not Windows. These Atom/Celeron's can barely run Windows, and only under the most miserable of conditions. What do you think that will tell the person who is forced to use one of these Windows 11 SE chromebooks? "Wow Windows is absolutely bog-slow, my boomer parents are stupid to keep using it", and off to the alternatives.

To be fair, Microsoft "could" possibly streamline Windows, but nearly all the bloat that has been added to Windows since 8 is a consequence of requiring GPU power that just does not exist. Chromium webviews used by everything? 200MB Ram each. There is no way that 4GB is "enough". 

Complaining about telemetry and OneDrive, completely misses the point that these weak CPU and GPU parts are intolerably slow experiences, and would be better off running an OS from 2010 (Windows 7) that has the "classic" shell. Not the webview-centric bloat monster that has infected every OS since.