cable management is a lie

tdkid

there is no such thing as cable management. what i am talking about is you can place the cables of inside your computer, the cables powering it, your TV, or any other cables you can think of, all nice, neat, and organized and somehow a few months later you will find yourself tripping over them. put them where you want again just to be tripping over them again later and the process repeats. this is happening more to me now more than ever even with most of my stuff being wireless.

Well it is more so how much you care for repeating the process every time the cables are not how they were when you first managed them and well... priorities and how full your days are, it puts things on the backburner.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

so... you never really managed the cables in the first place?

cable management is an art, but it involves actually securing the cables. using tie blocks, running the cables inside the walls for hanging TVs, etc. 

managing cables it making it so you CAN'T trip over them or get tangled in them. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

2 minutes ago, OneOfYas said:

Well it is more so how much you care for repeating the process every time the cables are not how they were when you first managed them and well... priorities and how full your days are, it puts things on the backburner.

the main issue is i have 1 cable that is pissing me off because you can not cable manage it. its a play and charge cable for my console. i will make sure that i step over this cable to make sure i dont pull it but somehow when i put my foot down that cable has grabbed my leg and pulls the console off from where i got it, pulling every cable that was attached to my console at the same time. people say that inanimate objects dont have a mind of their own have never seen some of the ones i deal with.

Just now, tdkid said:

the main issue is i have 1 cable that is pissing me off because you can not cable manage it. its a play and charge cable for my console. i will make sure that i step over this cable to make sure i dont pull it but somehow when i put my foot down that cable has grabbed my leg and pulls the console off from where i got it, pulling every cable that was attached to my console at the same time. people say that inanimate objects dont have a mind of their own have never seen some of the ones i deal with.

what? 

why not use a wireless controller and charge it when your game session is done? 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just now, tdkid said:

Oh I get what you mean, some cables inherently cannot be managed, but then again you can detach the charge cable once not in use.

Are you expecting a visual bonus for this or just from a practical standpoint?

To me practicality comes first but I do enjoy seeing a neatly managed setup.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

Most people who are even slightly tidy have a spot for occasionally needed cables like that to live when not in use.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

what? 

why not use a wireless controller and charge it when your game session is done? 

because i have a wireless controller and tried that. but my game sessions will often last 16+ hours when i get the chance so having a play and charge is faster especially when you have another person using another controller.

because i have a wireless controller and tried that. but my game sessions will often last 16+ hours when i get the chance so having a play and charge is faster especially when you have another person using another controller.

I am not going to berate you for being young, but your issues are because you are young and lack responsibilities.

Don't feel bad about it, you are who you are and time will change you.

I will say this though, if you expect something to work properly, the effort comes from you. Your issue is your own here.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

4 minutes ago, OneOfYas said:

Oh I get what you mean, some cables inherently cannot be managed, but then again you can detach the charge cable once not in use.

Are you expecting a visual bonus for this or just from a practical standpoint?

To me practicality comes first but I do enjoy seeing a neatly managed setup.

yes it can but when i trip over it, i am in the middle of using it and just put the controller down to go to the bathroom, get a snack or something like that.

yes it can but when i trip over it, i am in the middle of using it and just put the controller down to go to the bathroom, get a snack or something like that.

This may sound harsh, but you don't think or use your brain, this is why.

Another poster mentioned PEBCAK but I am being more specific, don't take it wrong, we were all kids once and every one of us stupider than our oldest selves. enjoy yourself and make mistakes, mistakes happen so we learn from them.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

7 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Most people who are even slightly tidy have a spot for occasionally needed cables like that to live when not in use.

yes but the cable is in use when i trip over it. if it wasnt, then i would have it rounded up and velcro tied in a game drawer i have for use later.

1 minute ago, OneOfYas said:

This may sound harsh, but you don't think or use your brain, this is why.

Another poster mentioned PEBCAK but I am being more specific, don't take it wrong, we were all kids once and every one of us stupider than our oldest selves. enjoy yourself and make mistakes, mistakes happen so we learn from them.

if i am young then you must be a teenager because i am in my 30s. i am not some kid who has a messy room because they are being rebelious against their parents. this was more about a rant that people seem to think that inanaimate objects cant move on their own but if they lived my life you would believe otherwise. and you dont think that making sure that you are stepping over what causes you to trip is not using your brain? you must be the only person in the world who has never had any kind of issue tripping over anything in your life. please tell us what thats like. for the rest of us we all know that no matter what you do, there will be something that will screw up your day even if its something simple. 

7 minutes ago, tdkid said:

yes but the cable is in use when i trip over it. if it wasnt, then i would have it rounded up and velcro tied in a game drawer i have for use later.

Still not phenomenally hard to use your eyes when you walk if you already know it's gonna be there.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

if i am young then you must be a teenager because i am in my 30s. i am not some kid who has a messy room because they are being rebelious against their parents. this was more about a rant that people seem to think that inanaimate objects cant move on their own but if they lived my life you would believe otherwise. and you dont think that making sure that you are stepping over what causes you to trip is not using your brain? you must be the only person in the world who has never had any kind of issue tripping over anything in your life. please tell us what thats like. for the rest of us we all know that no matter what you do, there will be something that will screw up your day even if its something simple. 

You said you play games for 16+ hours at a time so I thought you were a child as I don't know anyone who can game like that who has responsibilities, and if they do are not at all responsible.

No friend, I am 30's too.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Still not phenomenally hard to use your eyes when you walk if you already know it's gonna be there.

that is what i do but somehow after stepping over this cable and making sure that i have, it has somehow found a way to grab onto my leg and pull my console. 

1 minute ago, OneOfYas said:

You said you play games for 16+ hours at a time so I thought you were a child as I don't know anyone who can game like that who has responsibilities, and if they do are not at all responsible.

no i said i play for 16+ hours when i have the chance. its not every day that i get a day off where i can just sit back and relax with a gaming session so i have a play and charge cable because the wireless chargers would take around 2+ hours to charge which is fine for most people but when i get so little time to do some things that i want to do, its nice to be able to play non stop. 

Just now, tdkid said:

no i said i play for 16+ hours when i have the chance. its not every day that i get a day off where i can just sit back and relax with a gaming session so i have a play and charge cable because the wireless chargers would take around 2+ hours to charge which is fine for most people but when i get so little time to do some things that i want to do, its nice to be able to play non stop. 

No problem, just a bit of a misunderstanding.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

Just now, OneOfYas said:

No problem, just a bit of a misunderstanding.

its fine. this was more of a rant because i know i cant be the only one who has ever had a problem with an "inanimate" object finding a way to screw with you.

and its PEBKAC not PEBCAK (let the debate begin. dr-evil-laugh-gif-7.gif (500×214) (gifimage.net) )

Purchase a bag of zip ties and everything will be good!

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

its fine. this was more of a rant because i know i cant be the only one who has ever had a problem with an "inanimate" object finding a way to screw with you.

and its PEBKAC not PEBCAK (let the debate begin. dr-evil-laugh-gif-7.gif (500×214) (gifimage.net) )

Truly when I have had enough and want to just relax and can't be assed to do things it can get that way, it's truly just how it is, priorities... I can't say cable management don't work as it does.. and a charge cable can be placed away after charging, a little extra step sure but worth it for a relaxing time ahead.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

3 minutes ago, OneOfYas said:

Truly when I have had enough and want to just relax and can't be assed to do things it can get that way, it's truly just how it is, priorities... I can't say cable management don't work as it does.. and a charge cable can be placed away after charging, a little extra step sure but worth it for a relaxing time ahead.

well for me i drive a tow truck for a living so when you are broke down in the middle of the night in the worst blizzard in history is when i am working. so time off to do anything is few and far between. sure i sleep when i can but driving a tow truck in a lot of areas is considered the 4th emergency service alone with police, fire and medical. so i have no idea when i will get called or how long its going to be. sometimes i will watch a movie, sometimes game and etc.. cable management does work but mainlly only if you basically glue the cables in place and never move the object they are connected to for any reason what so ever. but that cant be done.

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

If the cable is such a hassle buy another wireless controller then you can be playing on one controller while the other is charging. If you do manage to play continuously for long enough for the controller to die then just switch to the other. You could also do this with your existing setup using the wireless controller most of the time and only switching to the wired one if the wireless runs out of battery.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Why don't you put a charging port next to the seat your using?  It's what I do.  I ran a power block into the arm rest of my couch. Have my usb cables plugged into it.  When I need it I simply pull the cable out of its compartment and plug into my controller.  When I'm done I can either put the controller back with the console or tuck it into the storage bin in the arm rest of the couch.  It keeps the cables off the floor and makes it a non issue.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop