Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 initial impression and review

Filingo

The cooler looks really nice. It comes with all the items necessary to install on either AM4 or the latest Intel sockets.

It doesn't come with a screwdriver like some other coolers, but you don't need it because it has access to the mounting screws, unlike some coolers where you need to insert a long screw driver to a tiny hole

content.thumb.jpeg.f308302eb2b0969420a8e6ae380a2048.jpeg

It comes with a TF7 thermal paste:

tf7.thumb.jpeg.61455b36e6e42e30301ddf0595cf8bed.jpeg

PC specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define C Tempered Glass

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Tomahawk

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 32GB (16x2) (BL2K16G32C16U4BL)

Installation:

I did not remove the motherboard from the case, I installed it while it's in the case and it was not too difficult, except for the part where you need to install the heatsink itself to the metal brackets because the screws on the heatsink are sort hollow and have threads on the inside (How it's called?), and you need to align them on the two pins in the middle of the metal brackets, so you can't really feel if you're in the correct place as if it were two holes instead and it just goes inside.

The fans are easy to mount, the metal clips don't require much force to stretch them over to the heatsink

There is no issue with RAM clearance in my case, it fits perfectly

!!!Important for those who don't know!!!

AMD has weird issue where the old heatsink that's already installed is glued to the CPU because of the thermal paste, so be careful when trying to remove the old heatsink. I ran Prime95 for 10 minutes and it still did nothing, it was stuck! The thermal paste is very new, less than 1 month old and it still got stuck. So after you run a stress test, make sure you gently, without applying much force, rotate the old heatsink left and right (after unscrewing the screws), in small movements, until you can get more freedom to rotate more and more, and then it should be easier to lift it up.

Performance:

How I tested: I turned the AC on to 25°C, so I hope it made the test constant.

The case was closed, also at the top (The Define C has an option to open the top plate but it was closed)

I used the default fan setup of the Define C: 1 fan at the front and 1 fan at the rear

AMD Stock Cooler (PBO Disabled):

Idle temp: 45°C

Prime95: 87°C

Passmark CPU Mark: 20793

AMD Stock Cooler (PBO Enabled, MSI "Game Boost" mode in BIOS):

Prime95: The CPU throttles to 95°C immediately, so I stopped the test

Peerless Assassin 120 (PBO Disabled):

Idle temp: 32°C                   

Prime95: 65°C

Peerless Assassin 120 (PBO Enabled):

Prime95: 81°C

Passmark CPU Mark: 23827

Peerless Assassin 120 (PBO Enabled + Auto OC to 4750 MHz):

Prime95: 84°C

Passmark CPU Mark: 24019

**I'm not sure why the difference is so little between PBO without OC and PBO+OC, I thought it should be higher, also voltages seem a bit high when using Auto OC so I disabled it after the tests (it reached over 1.4v)

Noise:

This was one of the most interesting things for me to test because of all the reviews complaining about high noise or high pitched sound, but those fans spin at 1500 RPM so I didn't expect them to be too silent. The problem was that the AC was quite loud already and it's a small room, and then I had no time to test it with the AC off, so I will update this as soon as I can.

But it looks good:

(The front fan is a little bit down in this photo, I fixed it later)

finished.thumb.jpeg.bef0bc9a8b8e7fd6f374255534964e72.jpeg

Let me know if you want me to test anything else

Edit: I might test it with single fan as well. It cools so well that I'm not sure I need both fans, and then it won't hide the other RGB RAM stick

It looks good in white. I might have to get a white FC140.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

23 minutes ago, freeagent said:

It looks good in white. I might have to get a white FC140.

Yes, look how beautiful it looks:

(In this photo, the front fan was a little bit too much down, not I lifted it)

finished.jpeg

That is spankalicious, me like.

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That is spankalicious, me like.

Haha

I bought white because the Define C has white fans and white slots covers so it's like a panda.

Also I edited my main post, you can see that the front fan hides the second RAM, and since the PA120 cools so well, I might just remove this fan completely to unhide it- what says you? It shouldn't be too bad right? I'll test it anyway

I thought about getting one of these heat sinks when I found out they were so much cheaper. Can the front fan be moved up higher away from the RAM if more clearance is needed?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

9 minutes ago, alyen said:

I thought about getting one of these heat sinks when I found out they were so much cheaper. Can the front fan be moved up higher away from the RAM if more clearance is needed?

I think you can move it up a little bit as long as the metal clips can hold, tomorrow I am planning to completely remove the fan so I will check it.

Also, you can install the fan at the rear instead of the front (like what I have in the picture), if you have room for it.

I might test that as well.

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

I might just remove this fan completely to unhide it- what says you?

I say go for it, you may lose 1-3c but its not that big of a deal. I was running 1 fan on my cooler for a month or so, just to see how it dealt with summer. I have the front fan on right now, but I might take it off since I cant see my ram anymore 😄

11 hours ago, alyen said:

I just checked it, as long as the clip can go forward, it holds the fan firmly, and the clearance at max is around 5.5cm from the base of the motherboard:

(The fan is a little bit out, but who cares? It's still pretty, and you can take the second fan out to match it 😄

metal_clip.thumb.jpeg.24eb437a3fe0e96a7f9589f4abe7e270.jpeg

clearance.thumb.jpeg.2f24446b4204d1b90b6d8ff37bc77c8c.jpeg

fan_out.thumb.jpeg.7e7c60e9226d03ab8799d15a85545c48.jpeg

9 hours ago, freeagent said:

I say go for it, you may lose 1-3c but its not that big of a deal. I was running 1 fan on my cooler for a month or so, just to see how it dealt with summer. I have the front fan on right now, but I might take it off since I cant see my ram anymore 😄

As soon as I test the noise, I will remove the second fan and make another test.

Also from what I see now, the fans are noticable at 1200 RPM, but I just set my curve to never spin more than 1200 RPM then, because it cools too well even below 1200 RPM

Also, it's noticable at 1200 only when I open the glass panel, and put my head close to it, since the PSU I am using is very noisy, it's a shitty 450W PSU. So until I replace this PSU, I can't really test the noise from it well, but, it looks good so far!

Excellent write up.

Oh and add to another fact that thermalright packages the heatsink and fans separately in a thick closed cell foam that encapsulates all the components tightly. The box itself will surely be able to take a beating. 

The tf7 thermal paste is a nice touch. I am surprised they gave that much. Its now my default thermal paste and it saved me from buying a new one. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

9 minutes ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Excellent write up.

Oh and add to another fact that thermalright packages the heatsink and fans separately in a thick closed cell foam that encapsulates all the components tightly. The box itself will surely be able to take a beating. 

The tf7 thermal paste is a nice touch. I am surprised they gave that much. Its now my default thermal paste and it saved me from buying a new one. 

Yes! That's why I didn't return it after seeing the wet box, the foam is extra thick (Will upload photos later)

Yep, and I applied the TF7 as they showed in the video, and it's doing really well:

thermal_paste.png.ab616a9c962ef9579831234a7d8ea4c8.png

TF7 is pretty good.. but if you guys like that you should try some TFX.. awesome sauce right there. I am using SYY-157, great stuff cheap as borscht too. I have like 20 grams of it lol..

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

TF7 is pretty good.. but if you guys like that you should try some TFX.. awesome sauce right there. I am using SYY-157, great stuff cheap as borscht too. I have like 20 grams of it lol..

privet haha, let's see if I can get it, although I just think most of thermal pastes are within 1-2C difference so I never worry too much about the paste itself

• 4 weeks later...

are this cooler can be install on matx board with gpu on first slot?

i had msi B450m mortar, which is no big rom for giant cooler.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, anggatape said:

are this cooler can be install on matx board with gpu on first slot?

i had msi B450m mortar, which is no big rom for giant cooler.

I installed it on a MSI B550M Mortar Wifi with the GPU in the first slot and it is perfect, it is not a very tall or long heatsink.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know what the exact difference is between the SE and the regular? To me it looks like the SE has fewer optical improvements and is a bit smaller. Is there a thermal or noise difference? 

Google yielded this old spec image (not on website anymore) indicating the SE has 3 fewer fins. SE is $3 cheaper, FWIW. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

10 hours ago, Lurking said:

Does anyone know what the exact difference is between the SE and the regular? To me it looks like the SE has fewer optical improvements and is a bit smaller. Is there a thermal or noise difference? 

Google yielded this old spec image (not on website anymore) indicating the SE has 3 fewer fins. SE is $3 cheaper, FWIW. 

image.png.226f788760dcfe1f7cd9ec5d6c1293d4.png

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

On 3/13/2023 at 10:12 AM, Dogzilla07 said:

Damn isn't it the best Air cooler in the chart? nice

On 3/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, yen1co said:

Hey @Filingo, so have you tested it with only one fan? 🙂

Haha no, with 2. But maybe I suck at installing CPU radiators so my results are worse? 😂 They are still pretty good 😁. Btw I'm still using it lol 

• 3 weeks later...

I might get one and use only the middle fan.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

17 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I might get one and use only the middle fan.

Should still be good enough

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, Filingo said:

The cooler looks really nice. It comes with all the items necessary to install on either AM4 or the latest Intel sockets.

It doesn't come with a screwdriver like some other coolers, but you don't need it because it has access to the mounting screws, unlike some coolers where you need to insert a long screw driver to a tiny hole

content.thumb.jpeg.f308302eb2b0969420a8e6ae380a2048.jpeg

It comes with a TF7 thermal paste:

tf7.thumb.jpeg.61455b36e6e42e30301ddf0595cf8bed.jpeg

PC specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define C Tempered Glass

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Tomahawk

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 32GB (16x2) (BL2K16G32C16U4BL)

Installation:

I did not remove the motherboard from the case, I installed it while it's in the case and it was not too difficult, except for the part where you need to install the heatsink itself to the metal brackets because the screws on the heatsink are sort hollow and have threads on the inside (How it's called?), and you need to align them on the two pins in the middle of the metal brackets, so you can't really feel if you're in the correct place as if it were two holes instead and it just goes inside.

The fans are easy to mount, the metal clips don't require much force to stretch them over to the heatsink

There is no issue with RAM clearance in my case, it fits perfectly

!!!Important for those who don't know!!!

AMD has weird issue where the old heatsink that's already installed is glued to the CPU because of the thermal paste, so be careful when trying to remove the old heatsink. I ran Prime95 for 10 minutes and it still did nothing, it was stuck! The thermal paste is very new, less than 1 month old and it still got stuck. So after you run a stress test, make sure you gently, without applying much force, rotate the old heatsink left and right (after unscrewing the screws), in small movements, until you can get more freedom to rotate more and more, and then it should be easier to lift it up.

Performance:

How I tested: I turned the AC on to 25°C, so I hope it made the test constant.

The case was closed, also at the top (The Define C has an option to open the top plate but it was closed)

I used the default fan setup of the Define C: 1 fan at the front and 1 fan at the rear

AMD Stock Cooler (PBO Disabled):

Idle temp: 45°C

Passmark CPU Mark: 20793

AMD Stock Cooler (PBO Enabled, MSI "Game Boost" mode in BIOS):

Prime95: The CPU throttles to 95°C immediately, so I stopped the test

Peerless Assassin 120 (PBO Disabled):

Prime95: 65°C

Peerless Assassin 120 (PBO Enabled):

Prime95: 81°C

Passmark CPU Mark: 23827

Peerless Assassin 120 (PBO Enabled + Auto OC to 4750 MHz):

Prime95: 84°C

Passmark CPU Mark: 24019

**I'm not sure why the difference is so little between PBO without OC and PBO+OC, I thought it should be higher, also voltages seem a bit high when using Auto OC so I disabled it after the tests (it reached over 1.4v)

Noise:

This was one of the most interesting things for me to test because of all the reviews complaining about high noise or high pitched sound, but those fans spin at 1500 RPM so I didn't expect them to be too silent. The problem was that the AC was quite loud already and it's a small room, and then I had no time to test it with the AC off, so I will update this as soon as I can.

But it looks good:

(The front fan is a little bit down in this photo, I fixed it later)

finished.thumb.jpeg.bef0bc9a8b8e7fd6f374255534964e72.jpeg

Let me know if you want me to test anything else

Edit: I might test it with single fan as well. It cools so well that I'm not sure I need both fans, and then it won't hide the other RGB RAM stick

you have the cooler on upside down. the correct orientation puts the mass of pipes opposite of the GPU.

On 7/3/2023 at 4:34 AM, Chree said:

you have the cooler on upside down. the correct orientation puts the mass of pipes opposite of the GPU.

Really? I just following their official YouTube video where it shows that this is the orientation:

should I try the other way around?