Nintendo Switch is finally getting Bluetooth audio!!!!

Even if I've been following Linus since the very beginning this my first post on the news forum so please let me know if I inadvertently infringed any rules. 

Summary

Finally, one of the most requested updates finally hits Nintendo Switch! Bluetooth audio support 

Quotes

The latest #NintendoSwitch update is now available, including the ability to pair Bluetooth devices for audio output.

My thoughts

I've always had a hard time understanding some of the decision that Nintendo make. For example, waiting years before allowing Bluetooth audio on the Switch or not doing a remake of Ocarina of Time *insert facepalm*.

But needless to say I'm happy with the update and looking forward to some sneaky late night gaming without worries of making too much noise for the significant other 🥷♥️

Sources

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/09/14/nintendo-switch-bluetooth-audio-support-update/

10 minutes ago, Sandwich1991 said:

I've always had a hard time understanding some of the decision that Nintendo make. For example, waiting years before allowing Bluetooth audio on the Switch or not doing a remake of Ocarina of Time *insert facepalm*.

Nintendon't what Nintendoes.

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

so you're telling me it was just a software lock all this time? lmao ffs nintendo!

for a while, there was no api used to use bluetooth audio, the bluetooth system was ONLY for controlers.

In 12.0.0, they added driver support for bluetooth audio (the same update that added dock firmware updates)

a bit later, someone added a homebrew feature to use bluetooth audio, then now, 13.0.0 they add official bluetooth support.

Its stupid, since the bluetooth hardware has always been there, but here we are.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Great news. I actually expected Nintendo to make it OLED model exclusive, 'cause Nintendo. So it's nice all can enjoy this feature.

It must be noted, that Switch Bluetooth stack doesn't support aptX Low latency (would require Qualcomm Bluetooth chip if I am not mistaken, or at least licensing if the chip isn't needed. If not free Nintendo tend to not be interested), so depending on your Bluetooth headset and your level of standard, latency might be an issue.

What am I missing here? My little brother had the Switch and I could see bt was there but I couldn't connect my bt headphone if I wanted to?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

The implementation kinda sucks though.

Latency is terrible with my Sony WH1000 XM2s, seen many reports of similar problems with other similar headsets. No AAC, no LDAC, no aptX (only uses Bluetooth 4.1) so any third-party adaptor is still a better option. According to Techradar the only options are A2DP and SBC... Ouch...

Using BT audio also nerfs the number of controllers you can use at a time to two (a pair of joycons counts as two controllers) and prevents you from using any local connectivity. Also no microphone support at all but that's not a huge deal.

Given the number of drawbacks, I can kinda understand why Nintendo didn't want to add it at first. It's pretty bad...

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

24 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

What am I missing here? My little brother had the Switch and I could see bt was there but I couldn't connect my bt headphone if I wanted to?

Nope. Bluetooth audio wasn't supported until now, it was used for the controllers.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Yay, Welcome to the 21st Century Nintendo ! 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.