Do NOT Buy This For Gaming!

Plouffe

LG sent us one of their new mastering monitors currently being used by a few Disney studios. At 60Hz it might not be great for gaming, but can the LG 32EP950 provide an amazingly color-accurate experience?

Buy LG UltraFine 32” OLED UHD Monitor
On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/tnON1k
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ZYJSXji

Buy Acer Predator XB271HK
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/jOPAS

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

If you are in the industry for colour accuracy, i can see it, but $4000 is more than most "high end" builds

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | NZXT H510 Elite

Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AIO | Corsair RMx Series 1000W | HTC Vive Pro w/ FBT VR

2x 1TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO SSD | 4TB IronWolf | 2TB Barracuda

Main Uses: Desktop & VR Gaming, Unity & Blender, Python & C# Dev, DAWs/Abelton and Testing VMs

YES!

I was waiting for OLED to come to more sensible display sizes like 27" and 32" for so long! This was really just the only thing that was missing to create my perfect display and now that LG is apparently working on a higher refresh model, I'm super excited!

What is the name of the first game that Linux was playing?

15 minutes ago, Tantawi said:
What is the name of the first game that Linux was playing?

I think it was Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I'm not sure I agree with their methodogy for the comparison with the $800 sRGB display, as the second one was not calibrated (It had a definightly green tint in the video), and that was what made the difference rather than the colourspace (which was the same in that test anyway) Another difference was probably the bit depth of the display, as the LG monitor was at least 10 bit (possibly 12 bit) which means that it would be able to display more gradiations of colour within the sRGB space. The point of colour spaces is that things look the same when displayed in the same colour space, regardless of display. This does, of course, assume that the display is acurately calibrated, but any 100% sRGB display should look the same with sRGB content.

It would be nice to post the URL to the document of the LG engineer you referred to in the end. In general, if you say that we can look at something in a video, please post the links in the description.

19 hours ago, Senzelian said:

YES!

I was waiting for OLED to come to more sensible display sizes like 27" and 32" for so long! This was really just the only thing that was missing to create my perfect display and now that LG is apparently working on a higher refresh model, I'm super excited!

I'd also be excited about a higher refresh rate model.

But i won't be excited about it's price tag...

And apparently these monitors don't use LG's own OLED panels, but ones from JOLED which is the main reason they're so expensive.

EDIT: AU Optronics, one of the biggest panel suppliers for the PC monitor industry just recently announced upcoming 27" and 32" 144Hz AMOLED panels. This is what i'm excited about. I really hope they can offer their panels (or the monitors they end up in) for a better price than LG.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Talking about 10-bit monitors - would a monitor with native 10-bit panel, like AOC AG274QZP produce no "banding" (or whatsever it's called) in games?

As with a native 8-bit panel the gray tones and other colors subtones tend to stick out if they are close. Not so visible during action, but when looking at while still, the tones stand apart.

I edit my posts more often than not

IMO you should have compared this display at factory calibration vs that of a regular 'consumer' mid range display at factory calibration.

Just to show the stark difference between a good factory calibration and a bad one.

Most people dont run a custom accurate calibration.

In addition, even if the color space of a lower end display is less than that of a high end one, when both are calibrated to be accurate within what they can produce, the difference to the eye is marginal unless the color space difference is truly vast.

One of the benefits of an expensive monitor like this LG one is the factory calibration. As such you should have shown that. In reality ur more likely going to see differences akin to the massive over saturation of the last monitor you compared it to, as well as white balance issues.

The vast majority of people, VAST MAJORITY, are not seeing games, movies, and pictures as the creator intended due to the poor calibration of their display.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Talking about 10-bit monitors - would a monitor with native 10-bit panel, like AOC AG274QZP produce no "banding" (or whatsever it's called) in games?

As with a native 8-bit panel the gray tones and other colors subtones tend to stick out if they are close. Not so visible during action, but when looking at while still, the tones stand apart.

There are many 8bit+FRC panels that can display perfect or close to perfect 10bit gradients. Imo a native 10bit panel is not even needed for pro work.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

There are many 8bit+FRC panels that can display perfect or close to perfect 10bit gradients. Imo a native 10bit panel is not even needed for pro work.

Ok, I assumed that.

And indeed 8-bit is looking worse than my previous "10-bit" 8-bit + FRC monitors.

I edit my posts more often than not

13 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

One of the benefits of an expensive monitor like this LG one is the factory calibration.

Not a big benefit imo.

Color will drift over time and because of that you can perfectly calibrate your monitor in the factory, but in the end it will be inaccurate down the line. Anyone who really NEEDS accurate colors should invest in the proper hardware to calibrate your displays yourself. No color critical artist should ever rely on factory calibration, no matter at which price point they're shopping.

Something that is much more useful than factory calibration is a hardware calibration feature. And LG has done a good job including that in their high-end offerings, even the gaming ones. This way you also don't have to rely on software support for ICC profiles.

why would they test this with such a colorless game? The only colors that game had were browns and greens.

Why not..

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I'm in the business of producing large single-run reproduction prints onto archival media. All that matters is the print media, the inks and the expectations of the client. Chasing after so-called perfect colour calibration on a monitor is a mug's game. Almost a scam. A decent monitor on which we can soft-proof with reasonable confidence is entirely adequate. A few printed test proofs viewed by practiced eyes makes monitor calibration practically moot. I certainly wouldn't pay $4000.00 dollars for a marginally "better' starting point than any decent wide gamut monitor provides. In my work flow the monitor is the weakest link and no matter how much money gets thrown at them they always will be.