Is cx450 enough to run 980ti

AMD Newbie

Hi. I want to buy 980ti and run it with my Ryzen 3 3100. I have Corsair CX450. Is it enough?

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If you want to do some heavy undervolting then maybe

But honestly just get a better psu since it is a horrible idea to cheap out on a psu (from personal expericence)

I've been rold that cx450 is really good and should be enough

The TDP of a 980 Ti is around 250W, IIRC. That's well over half of your PSU's rated output. Also consider that it's generally not a good idea to have your computer's full-power demands right smack up against your PSU wattage. If you knock 10% off of your 450W, that takes it to 405W total, of which 250W are spoken for. You have 155W left over for your CPU, drives, mobo, etc.

Is that enough? Eh, if you have a 65W CPU and don't overclock it, probably. If you have a 95W or 105W CPU, absolutely not imo. I would personally just shell out for a 550W-650W PSU rather than chancing a 450W PSU on it. If it's a newer CX, it can probably handle it, but why take the risk? If it's an old green-labeled CX450 and you're going to push it that hard, just pour some gas on it to help it on its way.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The TDP of a 980 Ti is around 250W, IIRC. That's well over half of your PSU's rated output. Also consider that it's generally not a good idea to have your computer's full-power demands right smack up against your PSU wattage. If you knock 10% off of your 450W, that takes it to 405W total, of which 250W are spoken for. You have 155W left over for your CPU, drives, mobo, etc.

Is that enough? Eh, if you have a 65W CPU and don't overclock it, probably. If you have a 95W or 105W CPU, absolutely not imo. I would personally just shell out for a 550W-650W PSU rather than chancing a 450W PSU on it. If it's a newer CX, it can probably handle it, but why take the risk? If it's an old green-labeled CX450 and you're going to push it that hard, just pour some gas on it to help it on its way.

My CPU is 65W Ryzen 3 3100. I've purchased CX450 in 2020. I need purchase 650m then?

2 minutes ago, AMD Newbie said:

My CPU is 65W Ryzen 3 3100. I've purchased CX450 in 2020. I need purchase 650m then?

The 2020 CX units are good. It's your call. I wouldn't run a 250W GPU on a 450W PSU long-term, but that's just me. I wouldn't expect your PSU to commit seppuku all over your PC from the components you have in there, but I wouldn't do much in the way of upgrading without a higher-rated PSU in there either.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 minutes ago, AMD Newbie said:

The CX-M is only modular compared to the CX(non M). That's it. It's actually quite a downgrade😉

If you're going to upgrade, it's better to consider a better PSU (ex - TX550M for Corsair).

CX450 only has one 6+2 pin PCI-e connector and a 980 Ti needs more. Even 450w is enough for your system and CX450 is a decent unit, CX450 is not sufficient because of the connectors. @IIIIIIIIIIrecommanded a good one but if you let us know what your budget is and a link to a store where you want to purchase a PSU we can help you a lot better.

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

CX450 only has one 6+2 pin PCI-e connector and a 980 Ti needs more. Even 450w is enough for your system and CX450 is a decent unit, CX450 is not sufficient because of the connectors. @IIIIIIIIIIrecommanded a good one but if you let us know what your budget is and a link to a store where you want to purchase a PSU we can help you a lot better.

TX is high-end stuff i can't affrod. My budget is limited. I'm using 6 pin adapter. is it bad using one? hmm

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Should i buy EVGA PSU then? I just prefer Corsair over any other brands

What exact model EVGA?

You're using molex to 6 pin adapter? It's not recommanded. Molex connectors are not made for high 12v current.

Just now, --SID-- said:

What exact model EVGA?

You're using molex to 6 pin adapter? It's not recommanded. Molex connectors are not made for high 12v current.

650BQ ones. what kind of adapter should i use instead? not using any? maybe hehe

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Do you have a websitelink to the shop?

i don't have one.

Just now, --SID-- said:

Where do you buy the PSU, in a local store? What country?

in Russia. I think it's called DNS or something

2 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Maybe @Juular He knows more about Russian stores than I.

So, should i get CX650 or BQ650? Is there any risks of using molex adapters?

CX650 (not CX650M) is better than 650 BQ. CX650 has four two 6+2 pin connectors and you only need two. No need for dangerous molex adapters.

@AMD Newbie is Corsair CX550-F available?

Just now, --SID-- said:

CX650 (not CX650M) is better than 650 BQ. CX650 has four 6+2 pin connectors and you only need two. No need for dangerous molex adapters.

is there a difference between 650m and 650M? I just saw one with just "m" and another with "M" I've been told that modular ones always better than not modular ones!

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

CX650 (not CX650M) is better than 650 BQ. CX650 has four two 6+2 pin connectors and you only need two. No need for dangerous molex adapters.

@AMD Newbie is Corsair CX550-F available?

it is available. should i get one with F then? what is the difference? is it more special or something?

Not a great idea. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, AMD Newbie said:

it is available. should i get one with F then? what is the difference? is it more special or something?

CX-F is a good budget unit. It's Bronze rated but actually it's near Gold but due to the RGB fan and competition  between Corsair models it's downgraded to Bronze. 550w is enough for your system. If the 650w is reasonably priced I'd take that one.