Blackmagic 4K Camera

ianskie

"The world's first user upgradeable 4K digital film camera!" -Blackmagic Design

Just came across this a few hours ago, the base is way cheaper than the Sony camera the techtips team is currently using. 

Max fps in 4K video is 60 fps (I guess no extreme slow-mo from this camera which gives the Sony better value once the add on is in.)

The price is great!

Compared to so many professional cameras on the market Blackmagic has been pushing to deliver great performance and quality to more and more users. This would push 4K to mainstream media. 

I'm hoping that this would give content creators easier means to create 4K content and  drive 4K monitors & TV's down in price for us consumers!

I really want one, there are some beautiful places down here perfect for cinematography, and I could take it with me to hawaii when i go

This is actually pretty amazing, they really listened to feedback and have focused more on the hardware, finally XLR! Getting so much more for your money here, I really hated the old Black Magic cameras, produced good final images but just too fiddly to operate.

Who cares about 60fps when it shoots RAW...

...Linus prepare thy wallet! 

the ursa is geared more for big production crews. looks like you need 3 or more to operate it 

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

the ursa is geared more for big production crews. looks like you need 3 or more to operate it 

it says 3 persons can use it at a time, but not for operation, it can be done by just one

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This camera is insane. crazy how expensive this stuff is though. thats just the camera. all the equipment you could possibly need to go with it (as well as lenses) is probably another $5-10K

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

isnt this like beyond old i heard about this like early last year....

isnt this like beyond old i heard about this like early last year....

That was their 4k Black Magic Production camera :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/964119-REG/blackmagic_design_blackmagic_production_camera_4k.html

I used the 2.5k version and honestly didn't like it, The 4k version was probably a bit better with a slightly larger sensor, but it was the lack of physical hardware options and terrible audio features that really annoyed me.

This is something else though, well worth the extra $3k by the looks of things.

Wow that is genuinely extremely cheap, I'm amazed. When Sony released their 4K it was like.. 20k to 40k?

amazingly cheap for 4K 60fps

but i think it's still not cheap enough to push the 4K markets

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Short list of features of this guy are mind blowing for any professional videographers :

• User upgradeable Super 35 Sensor and Mount (Currently PL and EF)
  • 4K Recording with 12 Stops of dynamic range at framerates up to 4K@60fps
  • 10" 1080p Display coupled with dual 5" 800x480 monitors on either side of the camera, 1 for the focus puller and 1 for the sound engineer
  • Multiple SDI inputs and outputs
  • Dual Balanced XLR Mic Jacks
  • Records to Dual CFast 2.0 Cards for uninterrupted recording
  • Davinci Resolve Full version for free ($1000 value)
  • Records to Apple ProRes and CinemaDNG RAW
But the biggest USP has got to be the price tag, which blows Canon's C100 / C300 / C500 pricing structure out the wazoo.

Put it this way :

Canon C100 = $5000 (1080p AVCHD)

Canon C300 = $14,000 (1080p XF Codec)

Canon C500 = $20,000 (4K)

Blackmagic URSA = $6,000 (4K) !!!!!!

Ships in July

Engadget Hands-on

Blackmagic page

NoFilmSchool Article With more details

ursa.jpg

Long Story short, I think this thing is freaking awesomeawesome and it's a wakeup call to Canon, Sony and Red who've been overcharging for ages just because they could ! Well not anymore ! Blackmagic has done it again.

Apple Pippin 2.0 (Corsair Gaming Hackintosh) :

• Intel Core i5 3570K with CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Push-pull with Corsair AF120 and SP120)
  • 24 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition
  • Intel 330 Series 120 GB SSD (Mac OS X)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD (Windows 7)
  • OWC Mercury Electra 3G 30 GB SSD (Scratch Disk)
  • 1.8 TB of HDD Storage
  • Corsair 600T White case
  • Corsair K60 Keyboard
  • Corsair M65 Mouse
  • Corsair GS800 PSU

This is so amazing no gif will do it justice.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Hmm, no ssd.

This is so amazing no gif will do it justice.

time to start using http://www.webmfiles.org/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

wow wow wow !!!

since black magic appeared it really feels like some one from sony or canon will try to hire a hitman

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

it says 3 persons can use it at a time, but not for operation, it can be done by just one

of course one person can do it, but its optimal for 3 person operation is what im saying. one to pull focus, one to monitor sound, and one to operate the camera:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12553/blackmagic-ursa-6k-4k-professional-cinema-camera-interchangeable-sensor

"The URSA is aimed at a large crew, large scale productions with multiple operators on one camera..."

"The URSA is certainly not a single-operator camera, like the previous cameras with their small and light form factors."

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

AAAANNNNNNDDDDD they make it use XQD cards, great job.

Also, Canon has the 1DC which shoots 4k, costs about $10,000 (it's also been out for a little while).

I personally prefer Red stuff  :wub: the Red Epic Dragon can shoot 6k @100FPS, or 4k @150 FPS

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

We want 4k WAN show! Not because we'll be able to stream it but just to see if we can make Twitch implode

-------

Current Rig

-------

wow that camera looks beautiful.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q