My New Gaming Monitor

mynameGeoff

Outside of discounts, the LG C1 48" is $1399 on newegg., the FO48U is $1499.

Im surprised at such a small difference tbh, i expected a massive 'gaming' tax.

However, $100 for DP....and maybe... MAYBE.. better or worse firmware, will have to wait for a full review of the performance of the firmware and profiles to know anything certain.

There is one extra thing u get for the $100, a far better stand that allows u to push back the display. The LG stand has a massive ass/hump that sticks back a ways stopping u from pushing it all the way back on ur desk.

You have to take into account that while u 'gain' the above features, u loose the entire TV side software ..apps and such. so its give and take yet cost $100 more.

Therefor, it is my opinion that the extra $100 is nothing more than 'gaming tax'.

As for 'burn-in' ..aka pixel degradation, anyone who does consider an OLED should be smart enough to work out basic habitual changes to make to work around the 'possibility' of such degradation from static image (or search online, inc this forum, for advice on what they should do to avoid it). If they are not smart enough, then they deserve the teaching experience of suffering from the 'burn-in' so that they do know....or not learn anything and continue to spout misinformation ..either or 😛

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

20 hours ago, VonDoogles said:

I'm waiting for manufactures to get a clue and release a proper 43" curved 16:9 4K monitor.  That would be my forever monitor.

Samsung released 32" one, but it has a terrible stand and no vesa mount support!  

I'm sure it'll happen eventually.  The trend seems to go to wider screens, then taller screens, then back to wider screens then taller screens again.

Samsung has at least started providing adapter brackets with most of their curved monitors (except for value models like the T55 and CF397).  The way they work, you first take out the base, then you install the bracket into the huge hole left behind.  These do tend to get thrown out with the packaging a lot though.

4 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

So effectively Linus went from LG to LG just with Gigabyte branding 🤔

There are only a few companies that actually manufacture LCD panels, I think... so a huge number of monitors sold under various brands have LG panels. 

In the early 2010's, if memory serves, there was literally only one manufacturer for 27" 1440p panels (I want to say Samsung but it may have been LG), so the off-brand Korean monitors you could buy on eBay were literally the same screen as the then-current Apple Cinema Display at a fraction of the price (although of course the Apple monitor had the better-binned panels). 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

19 hours ago, bluebarracuda225 said:

Does @LinusTech plan to find a new thunderbolt dock that supports 4k144hz? I recently upgraded to the LG 27GN950 and have a similar issue. I want to run by Corning TB3 optical cable to my closet PC, but I'm struggling to find a dock that can support 4k144

Would be interesting to see whether one of the DP 1.4 docks can flawlessly run it.

Personally I have encountered issues with my Lenovo gen2 TB dock even at 1440p@165Hz.
So I wouldn't get my hopes up. We might have to wait for Thunderbolt 5...

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

There are only a few companies that actually manufacture LCD panels, I think... so a huge number of monitors sold under various brands have LG panels. 

In the early 2010's, if memory serves, there was literally only one manufacturer for 27" 1440p panels (I want to say Samsung but it may have been LG), so the off-brand Korean monitors you could buy on eBay were literally the same screen as the then-current Apple Cinema Display at a fraction of the price (although of course the Apple monitor had the better-binned panels). 

The biggest ones I currently know of are LG, Samsung, AUO, Chimei Innolux, BOE Hydis, Japan Display (merger of Hitachi, Sony and Toshiba) and Sharp.  Most monitors, laptops and TVs will have a screen from one of these manufacturers.

Oddly enough, Samsung and LG will even use one of those other factories to make screens for their own devices.  The early Samsung Chromebooks almost exclusively used AUO displays!

On 8/24/2021 at 12:54 AM, Luscious said:

So this is basically a 38 inch ultrawide that's been stretched to make it a 16:9 - I can see the appeal of having a single screen like that, but I would skip on this particular one for a few reasons:

I agree, but which screen do you recommend at that size, then?

Been trying fruitlessly for a while to find something suitable now, since my current monitor (LCD from LG) suffers from burn-in. I mainly use it for working from home, so it absolutely has to be able to resist burn-in, since the panel is basically always there, except for the half an hour I game or watch some movie per day and some more on the weekend.

This particular monitor isn't even available on amazon.de and I'm not too fond to try out other sellers.

7 hours ago, Bramimond said:

I agree, but which screen do you recommend at that size, then?

Been trying fruitlessly for a while to find something suitable now, since my current monitor (LCD from LG) suffers from burn-in. I mainly use it for working from home, so it absolutely has to be able to resist burn-in, since the panel is basically always there, except for the half an hour I game or watch some movie per day and some more on the weekend.

This particular monitor isn't even available on amazon.de and I'm not too fond to try out other sellers.

You really only have two options here - wait for an alternative with better specs or shop for something different.

If you don't mind STACKING displays you could get two curved 49 inch ultrawide panels. That would get you to a 54 inch equivalent 5120x2880 canvas running at max 60Hz. That's assuming of course you are OK going dual monitors and don't mind that split in the middle. You'll need deep pockets though as two of these will right up around $3K.

If you want a SINGLE monitor 5Kx2K experience you'll be limited to smaller monitors (34 inch) and 60Hz refresh, as these are still being pushed to content creators rather than gamers. Honestly though, I'd just stick with a faster monitor - something like a LG 38GL950G-B has got the 144Hz refresh rate to keep you happy AND it's IPS so you don't need to worry about burn-in. Might want to check if this model is available in your neck of the woods.

Consider your GPU as well as trying to push even 3840x1600 at 144Hz will bring most cards to their knees. A 5Kx2K 120Hz experience isn't realistic - you're looking at next gen silicon and panel tech.

If high refresh rates and fear of burn-in are at the top of your list of wants then an IPS gaming monitor is your best friend right now. You'll be limited to 38 inches if you only want a single monitor, but it will be a "proper" monitor and not some overclocked TV that's PRETENDING to be a monitor.

My guess is it will take some time for curved displays and IPS panels to bump up to the next bigger size. It's obviously cheaper and easier for panel manufacturers to do a flat OLED TV, throw a monitor board inside and call it "gaming" ready. That's a compromise! They are "milking" what they can from the tech that's already there - hardly a good idea when it goes beyond it's intended design spec and ends up failing prematurely. It will be funny to look into the warranty/RMA tickets on this Aorus LOL

8 hours ago, Luscious said:

If high refresh rates and fear of burn-in are at the top of your list of wants

I guess I have to keep waiting and live with my current screen that has burn-in.

My number one priority is 43" or more. I cannot go back to smaller screens. I just can't. 

Price isn't an issue, but I only want a single screen. It needs protection from burn-in and at least 120Hz.

My GPU is currently a potato that cost me like $30. I've been wanting to buy a new one for a while now, but first the new GPUs were on the horizon and I could wait and then GPUs were out of stock everywhere. But I'm on Linux anyway and the best the GPU will have to do is stem PS3 emulation, I guess. I'm not watching 4K video and have half a mind to just configure the 4K screen to 1080p anyway. I'm good with 1080p resolution.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:02 PM, jones177 said:

I do see the point of it over a LG OLEDs since you can do 4k 120hz with a 20 series card.  With the LG TVs you need a 30 series card for HDMI 2.1.

Can you do it with a 10 series card? I have 1080ti

On 8/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, Luscious said:

So this is basically a 38 inch ultrawide that's been stretched to make it a 16:9 - I can see the appeal of having a single screen like that, but I would skip on this particular one for a few reasons:

1. OLED vs IPS. Burn in is a big issue on a monitor and this is something IPS excels at and OLED absolutely sucks at. And while you may be thinking I GOT THIS all it takes is one incredibly stupid mistake and your panel is forever ruined. I could think of many more creative ways to blow $1500 if that is what you want to do LOL

2. PPI isn't specified in the specs but I'm going to make a guess that it's "around" the 100-120PPI that's ideal. A smaller 34 inch ultrawide does exactly 110PPI at 3440x1440 which is what I like to call "Windows friendly" and won't hamper your productivity. When text is too small to read at 100% scaling and icons become difficult to make out you know you've made a bad monitor choice. If you're struggling with a 32 inch or smaller 4K panel you will know what I am talking about.

3. Flat vs curved. Once you hit a certain monitor size curved panels are just the better choice to go with and one MAJOR differentiator between TV's and monitors. Never mind that you can STACK a pair of curved monitors and get the same or higher pixel real estate as a big flat TV. Given that this isn't operated like a TV and you will be sitting in front of it for many more hours I would be shopping for a proper curved monitor instead, or just stack two and be done!

4. Branding. Aorus is cool and I have nothing against them, but they just don't carry the weight that a brand like LG has in the monitor space. Can Aorus maintain their warranty? Will they still be able to support it when the warranty expires like LG does? Will you still be using it after 6+ years or does this become a throwaway like those first gen 4K panels were back in 2014? I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to be buying a new monitor every 3-4 years just because "unplanned obsolescence" became a thing or the manufacturer dropped the ball on quality control (thanks Gigabyte:old-grin:)

Increasing pixels alone doesn't get you a better monitor, and it seems that is what again has happened here with this Aorus. Higher refresh rates are cool but that's been around for many years now. Being "first to market" with a product that has unique specs is one thing, but I also don't want to be the end user who gets cut by that bleeding edge. For that reason alone you can be certain LG is working on a BETTER competing product... one that will also be curved and rock IPS for that color accuracy. THAT'S the monitor you guys will want to be interested in!

This being flat, is the one reason I want to buy it. The 38 Ultrawide only comes in curved and while it's the best monitor around, it can't be used for a creative work. I want to snatch this early adopter's flat 48 before the industry goes all curved on this format again.

47 minutes ago, MysticLTT said:

2160p120, 8 bit (and 4:4:4) will work with a 10 series card. To my knowledge, DSC is not supported on 10 series graphics cards. So 144 Hz isn't possible (with 2160p and 8 bit at 4:4:4) and 10 bit (4:4:4) works only up to about 96 Hz (can be achieved with a custom resolution).

Reviewers say the auto brightness is too aggressive and on C1 you could dim the brightness until it doesn't kick in, but here you can't. This will probably be a problem for photo editing

11 hours ago, MysticLTT said:

It uses DP 1.4 and so does a GTX 1080 ti.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2021 at 9:59 AM, Senzelian said:

Would be interesting to see whether one of the DP 1.4 docks can flawlessly run it.

Personally I have encountered issues with my Lenovo gen2 TB dock even at 1440p@165Hz.
So I wouldn't get my hopes up. We might have to wait for Thunderbolt 5...

im running thunderbolt 2 over optical, to a gigabyte m27q using a startech thunderbolt 2 dock, displayport will run 170hz 2560x1440 no problem, and a bunch of usb all hooked up. Old stuff still works. 

• 4 weeks later...

So lets say you wanted to stream to twitch playing in SuperUltrawide.  Using this method.  When I stream it's all about the experience of my viewers, not mine as much, so I'd be happy playing a game in 3840 x 1080 in a window, with all my stream garbage on the other half of the monitor, (I have a 40" 4k Monitor)   But there are no games that I can find that will support that resolution on a 16x9 screen even if I'm running in windowed mode.  How do you set something like this up?

• 2 months later...

Bought this monitor and was wondering if a custom resolution of 3840x1600@120Hz worked for others?

When I try it it just wont display anything. 3860x1600@60Hz works (but I didnt buy a 120Hz panel to run it in 60Hz).

Also 3440x1440@120Hz works but looks blurry (maybe because of scaling?)

Graphics cards is a GTX 1070 (prbably gonna update to a 3070 but havent come around to it yet)

26 minutes ago, D4rthB4n3 said:

When I try it it just wont display anything. 3860x1600@60Hz works

Graphics cards is a GTX 1070 (prbably gonna update to a 3070 but havent come around to it yet)

You need a port and cable to the right TV/monitor port that supports high end resolutions and HZ.

So yes, the resolution you are at now can look blurry due to scaling at a bad ratio, or I think its due to that.

Also your GPU might not have the ports needed nor able to run it that high, you might be able to, with its DisplayPort (DP) if its 1.4

HDMI might only go to 60 hz on 4K displays, or the need for an HDMI 2.1 GPU port (and for the TV)

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

You need a port and cable to the right TV/monitor port that supports high end resolutions and HZ.

So yes, the resolution you are at now can look blurry due to scaling at a bad ratio, or I think its due to that.

Also your GPU might not have the ports needed nor able to run it that high, you might be able to, with its DisplayPort (DP) if its 1.4

HDMI might only go to 60 hz on 4K displays, or the need for an HDMI 2.1 GPU port (and for the TV)

(Connected via DP1.4) Now after a couple hours windows has automatically picked up 3840x1600@120Hz for some reason. So all working as expected (really not sure why though 🤷‍♂️)

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, D4rthB4n3 said:

Bought this monitor and was wondering if a custom resolution of 3840x1600@120Hz worked for others?

When I try it it just wont display anything. 3860x1600@60Hz works (but I didnt buy a 120Hz panel to run it in 60Hz).

I've also been eyeing it as well, and I'm a hairs trigger away from buying it, to date the only possible downside I have found is Burn-in, but that's prevented by switch on "Auto-hide taskbar" and "Screen-saver: Switch Off after no activity".

@D4rthB4n3  you've had it for +4 months, what's your thoughts?